Happy Mardi Gras!!!

Debbie

Original Poster
Just dropping in to say "hi". I don't get to come here often but miss you all :) Hope everyone is well----How have you all been? Steve, Eeyore, Mom, TigsMom, Erika and any of my other friends here?

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
First year, since the kids were little, that I didn't make (or go to McD's and buy) pancakes.

Son #1 is currently not living at home.
Son #2 is sick as a dog.
I am not eating starches or carbs.

I ended up doing a roast and veggies in the slow cooker. Hubby ate three plates, so clearly he's happy.

Pancakes next year for sure though!

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
Never heard of it quite honestly.
In Canada, if you're Catholic, today is Shrove Tuesday.
If you're not, it's Pancake Tuesday first, Shrove Tuesday second.

My kids attended Catholic School (a fully funded school board separate from the Public Board) and the Parent Council (namely me and Liz) used to pick up 1000-1200 pancakes from a local catering restaurant and would serve them to the entire school body and teachers.

Once my kids were in high school, I would pick them up from McD's and they would have them for dinner.
When I was a kid, my mom and dad used to make them every year too.

This year, none.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
We had waffles. Is that close? :)
I would assume the concept is the same. Waffles are made with many of the same ingredients.

"Pancakes are associated with the day preceding Lent because they were a way to use up rich foods such as eggs, milk, and sugar, before the fasting season of the 40 days of Lent. The liturgical fasting emphasized eating plainer food and refraining from food that would give pleasure: in many cultures, this means no meat, dairy products, or eggs."

Goofyernmost

My daughter attended Tulane University in New Orleans. In her final (senior) year I had to convince her to go to Mardi Gras or at least see the parades. She didn't want to go, but I told her you are there in New Orleans, you will kick yourself later on in life if you don't experience it. She went and had $20 and her school ID picked from her pocket within the first half hour. Needless to say, she will remember it. She did come home with a bag full of beads. I didn't ask her how she got them. :joyfull:

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom