Happy (late) 28th Birthday Fantasmic!

SuddenStorm

Original Poster
Happy (late) 28th birthday to the greatest piece of live entertainment Disneyland has ever produced! So many great memories watching this over the years. The original was a masterclass in themed entertainment- a near perfect show that still hasn't been topped.

1589446698341.png
1589446713778.png
1589446767511.png

Originally titled Imagination, the title was changed to Fantasmic! prior to debut, derived from the word phantasmagoria.

1589446780613.png

1589446791653.png

Here's a wonderful series of photos on its construction.

And here's a delightfully cringy dedication featuring Michael Eisner:

The original show went through remarkably few changes over the years. The audio was untouched, but the effects were upgraded incrementally over the years and majorly overhauled around 2009 with major effect reworks, projection improvements, and most noticeably a new dragon lovingly titled 'Murphy' due to its rocky debut and consistent issues since.

1589446423348.png

1589446370865.png

1589446481460.png

The original show ended January of 2016 to make way for Star Wars: The Shopping Mall which necessitated the shortening of Walt Disney's Rivers of America and gave Davison and his team of creatives the perfect opportunity to meddle with a bona fide classic. The new show debuted July 17, 2017 and features numerous creative differences from the original as well as all new effects, sound, lighting, and pyrotechnics.

Nland316

I find it incredibly impressive how this show completely transforms its environment that you see during the day. Even with the new additions, as controversial as some are, it still retains such a high level of showmanship that cannot be topped in any other entertainment show at the resort.

I do believe the additions to the show solidified Fantasmic’s place at the resort for years to come.

Regardless, I truly don’t see current WDI topping the original anytime in the future.

Phroobar

Happy (late) 28th birthday to the greatest piece of live entertainment Disneyland has ever produced! So many great memories watching this over the years. The original was a masterclass in themed entertainment- a near perfect show that still hasn't been topped.

View attachment 470367 View attachment 470368 View attachment 470369

Originally titled Imagination, the title was changed to Fantasmic! prior to debut, derived from the word phantasmagoria.

View attachment 470370

View attachment 470371

Here's a wonderful series of photos on its construction.

And here's a delightfully cringy dedication featuring Michael Eisner:

The original show went through remarkably few changes over the years. The audio was untouched, but the effects were upgraded incrementally over the years and majorly overhauled around 2009 with major effect reworks, projection improvements, and most noticeably a new dragon lovingly titled 'Murphy' due to its rocky debut and consistent issues since.

View attachment 470365

View attachment 470364

View attachment 470366

The original show ended January of 2016 to make way for Star Wars: The Shopping Mall which necessitated the shortening of Walt Disney's Rivers of America and gave Davison and his team of creatives the perfect opportunity to meddle with a bona fide classic. The new show debuted July 17, 2017 and features numerous creative differences from the original as well as all new effects, sound, lighting, and pyrotechnics.

The dragon in the commercial looked nothing like the show one.

SuddenStorm

Original Poster
I find it incredibly impressive how this show completely transforms its environment that you see during the day. Even with the new additions, as controversial as some are, it still retains such a high level of showmanship that cannot be topped in any other entertainment show at the resort.

I do believe the additions to the show solidified Fantasmic’s place at the resort for years to come.

Regardless, I truly don’t see current WDI topping the original anytime in the future.

Obviously I'm not a fan of just about anything they did for the new version- I think the new effects are often utilized poorly, and none of the new show segments approve on the original. I also don't think Fantasmic was in risk of going away, it was still popular when they closed it.

I think the changes were primarily motivated by the want to promote something 'new' to sell more dining packages to people who had been watching the show for 20 years since Chapek's Disney has monetized the good viewing areas.

It's amazing how much better any iteration of Fantasmic's showmanship is then World of Color which completely destroys the look of the pier for most of the day since often they don't bother lowing the incredibly ugly fountains.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom