Pre-Trip Happy Anniversary! Of Course We're Going To Disney!

Since we leave in 10 days, I'm already in vacation mode at work and I'm done (seriously this time, I think) tweaking plans I figured I'd throw together a quick pre-trip report.

Who: Me (J) and DH (D), seen here on our cruise last May:
20160528_202354.jpg

When: May 20 -27, 2017
Where: Disney's Old Key West Resort (our home resort, and favorite), Studio, Near Hospitality House
Why: It's our 23rd anniversary and we bought a second DVC contract and need to use some points so why not?!

Ok, ready? Here we gooooo.........

djpoore94

Original Poster
So this trip came about after we bought a second DVC contract last year. We're planning an awesome 25th anniversary trip to Aulani in 2019. We plan to take our cousins (who are the most fun travel buddies) along, we provide the accommodations and they're on their own for everything else. In order to make that happen we needed more points, so we snagged a great deal on the perfect resale contract last year. Since we bought so early we ended up with quite a few points that need to be used this year, and a few next year.

We're taking this trip and a second one in October/November in a 2 bedroom with 4 family members to use up a lot of points. We had originally booked a GV for the fall, but then my mom had to make the agonizing decision to get a new roof over taking a Disney trip so we downsized to a 2 bedroom.

DH & I haven't been to Disney together since October 2015 when we did a 10 day trip with our travel buddies. I also did a quick solo trip in Nov/Dec that year because I had to see the Osborne Family Lights one last time. I'm beyond excited to go back so the next 10 days are going to be torture!

We didn't make very many dining reservations this trip. DH had bariatric surgery a couple of years ago so he can't eat much at a time, but does have to eat more frequently. Buffets are out for sure, and we'll most likely end up sharing an appetizer and entree most places. He has also been following a gluten-free diet for a while and this will be our first trip with that. I added the allergy to all of the ADR's we did make so we'll see how it goes. He does not have a full blow allergy, but does have a bad sensitivity to it and really notices that he has a lot of inflammation and pain in his joints when he eats too much. We'll take it day by day, but will try to stick to it as much as possible.

Coming up...... The Plans!

Last edited:

djpoore94

Original Poster
Saturday May 20 - Arrival Day

We fly out of DTW around 7:45 AM, putting us on the ground at MCO a little after 10:00 AM. We have rental car booked, but also have ME booked. We originally reserved the car hoping that there would be a rocket launch while we are in Florida, but alas, the last TBD May launch was just scheduled for Monday the 15th. We're still debating keeping the car, I think mostly because DH booked a Dodge Challenger and he knows I love those cars! I'm fine either way, and honestly, as much as I'd love to check out the Challenger, it seems like a waste of money since even if we have a car we mostly ride the buses anyway!

We hope to have our room ready text before we get to the resort, but since I requested a ground floor and stated that requests were more important that having the room ready early I totally understand if we can't get in early. We'll just stash our stuff with bell services and head to DHS for the afternoon where we have some FP times:

TSM 3:50-4:50
ST 4:50-5:50
MV3D 6:20-7:20

I know we really don't usually need one for Muppets, but there honestly isn't anything else we wanted. We may end up cancelling that one though.

We have no dining reservations for this day so we'll see what we feel like doing. We might try to get in to the patio at HBD since we've never been there.

We're both huge Star Wars fans so we will be staying for the fireworks for sure, another first for us.

djpoore94

Original Poster
Sunday May 21 - Happy Anniversary!

Today is our actual anniversary. It's been a while since we've been in the parks on our actual anniversary day.

We are starting the day at MK with some FP:

BTMR 9:25-10:25
SDMT 10:25-11:25
BLSRS 11:25-12:25

I made these all back to back and as early as possible since the plan is to hop over to Epcot for the afternoon. We'll need to head back to OKW later in the afternoon to get ready for our anniversary dinner. I'm so excited to be dining at California Grill for the first time. Our ADR is for 7:00. We're still trying to decide if we want to view the fireworks from there or, if we have time, go over to BLT to the Top of the World Lounge. We have never been there either!

One thing that is different about this trip, and something I'm really looking forward to is that we don't have every minute of every day scheduled. We're anticipating heavier crowds so we're looking forward to some pool time and just strolling around the World!

djpoore94

Original Poster
Monday May 22

Today had always been planned as AK day, so we were really excited to get in to the DVC Pandora preview from 9:00 AM until 11:00 AM. We had originally planned to arrive for EMH at 8:00 and do the safari first thing like we always do then FP FotLK so we did have to move some things around.

We'll probably still get to the park right around 8:00, but won't do the safari. We'll wander around the Oasis until it's time to check in for Pandora. After that we have some FP:

EE 11:45-12:45
FotLK 1:30
ROL 8:35

We don't have much of a plan for the afternoon after The Lion King, but I'm still debating dinner at Sanaa. We will probably discuss while waiting for the show to start, but most likely will leave the park in the afternoon and come back for ROL.

djpoore94

Original Poster
Tuesday May 23

Again the plan is to start the day at MK. We made some FP:

PPF 9:20-10:20
HM 10:25-11:25
PotC 11:25-12:25

This is probably the day with the most FP flexibility. We'll probably still start the day at MK for sure, but if we want to change these around it won't be a big deal to us. We're planning to hop over to Epcot for the afternoon/evening with dinner at La Hacienda de San Angel at 7:30. This will most likely be our Illuminations night as well.

djpoore94

Original Poster
Wednesday May 24

I'm so looking forward to this day! We have no plans until our 12:45 lunch at T-Rex. This is the one thing we keep going back to and looking for other options. We both like T-Rex a lot, but there are so many other great options, and this will probably be the only time we spend at DS, so maybe we want to eat something different?!

I am looking forward to checking out the new DS since it was still mostly under construction the last few visits. I will admit though, I am not a shopper so there are only a couple stores I'm really excited about. Number one on my list is Alex & Ani!

We are also planning some major relaxing and pool time this day. We made a couple of FP at MK:

BTMR 7:25-8:25
SDMT 8:25-9:25

These were made before the park hours were extended and before AK hours changed to close so early this day. I may try to bump those FP times later, but if it doesn't work no big deal.

djpoore94

Original Poster
Thursday May 25

We're planning on starting the day at Epcot. This is where it gets a little tricky. I love Soarin', but DH can't do this one because he has big time issues with heights. So, I didn't make a FP for it, figuring I can just rope drop it with the rest of the herd. I can power on to Soarin' and DH can meet me in the Land when I'm done. Since I really didn't know what time I could safely make a TT FP, I didn't do that either. I have a feeling I'll regret this and I'm still thinking it may be a good idea to see where we can fit one in, if there are any left. We do have a FP for FEA at 11:10. Other than that, we have no reservations for this day! We know we want to check out some of the F&G Outdoor Kitchens and we may head back to OKW and hit Olivia's for dinner.

djpoore94

Original Poster
Friday May 26

This is another "see what we feel like" day. We know that the Memorial Day crowds will be getting heavy so we don't really have any expectations for this day, except one FP for FEA at 6:15-7:15 and then dinner at one of our all time favorites, Via Napoli at 7:30. I know, you're all thinking dinner at a pizza place that does not offer gluten free crust?! Well, yes, remember I said he does not have a full blown allergy? He can eat thiner crust pizza with no issues. Pan style crust does a real number on him, but we think he'll be ok with this. We found a local place that has pizza about as close as I've ever had to Via Napoli and he's fine with theirs. He's also had thin and traditional style crust from other local places with no issues. This is a meal we look forward to every trip, but I left it up to him and he said he wants to go for it! We'll probably stay for Illuminations this night too.

djpoore94

Original Poster
Saturday May 27 - Departure Day :cry:

Once again we made no plans, which is pretty typical for us on departure day. We had originally booked a 6:45 flight home, but Delta canned that flight and put us on the 4:30 instead. I'm trying to be positive about it, I mean it's only a couple of hours, we'll get home and in our own beds earlier and we didn't have any plans anyway. But then I think that the took two hours of time away from my beloved OKW and I get bummed again. Oh well, not much we can do!

So, there you have it. The nitty, gritty least scheduled trip this couple has ever done! If I take notes I'll do a trip report when we return, but I'm not gonna lie, I'm horrible at taking notes!

Thanks for reading and feel free to interject any tips, tricks, advice or "what are you thinking" comments :D

amjt660

Premium Member
Thursday May 25

We're planning on starting the day at Epcot. This is where it gets a little tricky. I love Soarin', but DH can't do this one because he has big time issues with heights. So, I didn't make a FP for it, figuring I can just rope drop it with the rest of the herd. I can power on to Soarin' and DH can meet me in the Land when I'm done. Since I really didn't know what time I could safely make a TT FP, I didn't do that either. I have a feeling I'll regret this and I'm still thinking it may be a good idea to see where we can fit one in, if there are any left. We do have a FP for FEA at 11:10. Other than that, we have no reservations for this day! We know we want to check out some of the F&G Outdoor Kitchens and we may head back to OKW and hit Olivia's for dinner.
I suggest you try to get a FP for TT
Even if you do not use it you can then switch it on the fly

Following along - hope you have a great trip

Max

djpoore94

Original Poster
I suggest you try to get a FP for TT
Even if you do not use it you can then switch it on the fly

Following along - hope you have a great trip

Max

The only problem is we would have to cancel on of the FP for FEA, since they are both on the same tier we can't have both at the same time. Since we've not seen it yet I know we want to do that at least once. We may cancel the second one and try for a TT. DH loves TT, but honestly I can take it or leave it so I will leave that decision up to him!

amjt660

Premium Member
The only problem is we would have to cancel on of the FP for FEA, since they are both on the same tier we can't have both at the same time. Since we've not seen it yet I know we want to do that at least once. We may cancel the second one and try for a TT. DH loves TT, but honestly I can take it or leave it so I will leave that decision up to him!
I totally agree with your plan as is
We were able to do FEA twice in December and you see a little more the second time through

Max

djpoore94

Original Poster
I totally agree with your plan as is
We were able to do FEA twice in December and you see a little more the second time through

Max

That was my thinking, and the reason I booked two of them. Maybe we'll be able to snag a TT after we use the first FEA one.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom