HAMILTON Original Cast Filming

Epcotfan21

Was only a matter of time for someone to pick this up.

Only thing that surprises me is the filming on set at Richard Rodgers and doing a full movie production set. Certainly saves Disney money doing that, but just seems a bit odd considering most, if not all, Broadway musicals are filmed like a real movie.

Princess Leia

Hamilton would be a difficult movie to bring to the screen as a traditional film. If you include the first and last songs (Alexander's birth to Eliza's death), it spans 97 years. The musical features a cast that has actors playing dual roles, (one of which is an adult playing a nine year old child), so obviously there's a lot of suspension of belief.

Releasing the filmed stage version also provides musical fans access to a show that is practically impossible to get tickets for without breaking the bank. A traditional musical film would probably cut songs and dance numbers, but this allows for the full production to be shown.

While I'm not a Cats fan, I did watch the taped version of the show from the late 80s/90s, and that was far better to watch than the trailers for the new movie. Bravo to LMM, Thomas Kail, and the rest of the production cast for filming the stage show and giving us the opportunity to see it.

Disney Analyst

I think this is such a smart idea. Many kick themselves for never seeing the OBC on Broadway. They had it filmed in the last 2 weeks everyone was still around. For $75 mil Disney will easily rake in money with the theatrical release.

This is also a musical that is history making, so it will do super well as the filmed stage version, just for the sake of having it immortalized forever.

I suspect we will eventually also get an original Feature Film some day.

BrianLo

Is Hamilton R-rated or more PG-13.

Kind of wondering if it will be Disney+ appropriate. Seems from Iger's comment that it is a Disney release though.

Disney+ could also aim to build out a strong "live action" musical brand. Both with their own productions and leaning on a pretty reasonable back catalogue. Including 20th Century fare like Sound of Music up to The Greatest Showman.

Princess Leia

Is Hamilton R-rated or more PG-13.

Kind of wondering if it will be Disney+ appropriate. Seems from Iger's comment that it is a Disney release though.

Disney+ could also aim to build out a strong "live action" musical brand. Both with their own productions and leaning on a pretty reasonable back catalogue. Including 20th Century fare like Sound of Music up to The Greatest Showman.
PG13. There is an f-bomb used once in each act, which does complicate the matter (it can only be said once in a PG13 rated film), but it can probably be muted out since Disney is the one releasing it.

Robbiem

Here in the UK there are a lot of live theatre broadcasts to theatres - mainly overseen by our national theatre

although most of these are live broadcasts they do have encore ‘repeats’ for some shows

having shows available like this is a great way to reach a wider audience who cant travel to the theatre or afford theatre tickets. Id love to see other shows like this more widely available on Disneyplus

BrianLo

Iger made a number of comments on the conference call that they were surprised how well Musicals were performing on D+. I'm sure that factored into justifying the price they paid. Not only will they recoup it theatrically, but on Direct to Customer platforms.

Princess Leia

Iger made a number of comments on the conference call that they were surprised how well Musicals were performing on D+. I'm sure that factored into justifying the price they paid. Not only will they recoup it theatrically, but on Direct to Customer platforms.
If they managed to get the streaming rights for Hamilton, that would be huge.

and I am 100% in the crowd that watches musicals on Disney+.

Robbiem

The streaming rights were invluded in the $75 million deal. That is why it was a record high purchase. I look for Disney and Disney Plus to make more deals for Broadway Shows.

I wonder if Disney have filmed versions of their broadway shows which they could use for Disney plus? It would be great to see some of these.
similarly it would be great to have ride through versions of attractions especially if they have copies of rides which no Longer exist I’d love to have a chance to ride adventure thru inner space for example

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom