Halloween Horror Nights 2017 Official thread

mergatroid

Original Poster
I think I may have jinxed myself. This rain is starting to become a serious killjoy. Two nights in a row. :arghh: I've never seen the park that flooded.

I don't want to give anyone any ideas, but they've done worse to our scareactors (and even other guests) in the past. You'd be surprised what gets past a metal detector. :cautious: People finally behaving on either coast would be a small miracle.

There's so much fun to be had at HHN it makes you wonder why on earth people want to do harm to the sareactors to amuse themselves? Whilst some things are down to drinking, people bringing stuff in the parks premeditated can't be blamed on drink unless they're permanently hammered. Last year had a girl near us so drunk that she collapsed and proceeded to vomit all over herself in one of the house queues before passing out, which was lovely :hungover:

JT3000

There's so much fun to be had at HHN it makes you wonder why on earth people want to do harm to the sareactors to amuse themselves? Whilst some things are down to drinking, people bringing stuff in the parks premeditated can't be blamed on drink unless they're permanently hammered. Last year had a girl near us so drunk that she collapsed and proceeded to vomit all over herself in one of the house queues before passing out, which was lovely :hungover:

Many of them are perfectly sober and do it because they're mental midgets who think harming others will make them look cool in front of their friends. They try to scare the actors for the same reason, which I'm seeing A LOT this year. Of course, it only makes them look like tools. Some of the more severe cases are simply sociopaths, just like the person who was flinging rocks or whatever on Dragons and caused them to stop dueling.

raven

I think I may have jinxed myself. This rain is starting to become a serious killjoy. Two nights in a row. :arghh: I've never seen the park that flooded.
Our house opened an hour late last night due to the turrential downpour that caused flooring of our queue. Guests were quite vocal about their disappointment when we finally opened but they don't understand that they would've been walking through 6" of dirty water for over 1/4 mile of their journey.

raven

Our house opened an hour late last night due to the turrential downpour that caused flooring of our queue. Guests were quite vocal about their disappointment when we finally opened but they don't understand that they would've been walking through 6" of dirty water for over 1/4 mile of their journey.
*flooding*

Forgive my fat fingers

JT3000

I'm surprised they don't have any sort of infrastructure in place to deal with flooding in those backstage roads. It was pretty bad even in the park, where they have storm drains, so I can only imagine what it looked like back there. The puddles were still pretty large by the time the Sprung tent houses finally opened and it was only sprinkling by that point.

Supernova

Im planning on going on October 31st which is a tuesday. Does anyone have any idea how busy it will be? I'm reading quotes on forums that halloween isn't too busy usually, but I'm conscious that MNSSHP sold out on halloween so now i dont know whether i should fork out for express passes

Disneydreamer23

Im planning on going on October 31st which is a tuesday. Does anyone have any idea how busy it will be? I'm reading quotes on forums that halloween isn't too busy usually, but I'm conscious that MNSSHP sold out on halloween so now i dont know whether i should fork out for express passes
I went on Halloween in 2011 I know it was awhile ago but it was very very crowded we waited upwards of three hours for one house.

JoeCamel

I don't think it will be that busy this year but I wouldn't attend HHN on any night without express. Just me but I hate waiting in lines. I know a crew that did all 9 houses in 90 minutes last night or the night before but they have years of experience and still came out saying they broke their bodies doing it. Get express if you can.

You can wait til you are there and judge for yourself. If you wait an hour for the first house I think you will stop at a kiosk before you do the next.

Supernova

I went on Halloween in 2011 I know it was awhile ago but it was very very crowded we waited upwards of three hours for one house.

omg i would literally have a breakdown.

I don't think it will be that busy this year but I wouldn't attend HHN on any night without express. Just me but I hate waiting in lines. I know a crew that did all 9 houses in 90 minutes last night or the night before but they have years of experience and still came out saying they broke their bodies doing it. Get express if you can.

You can wait til you are there and judge for yourself. If you wait an hour for the first house I think you will stop at a kiosk before you do the next.

Ah OK so i can buy the express passes on the night if I want to?

champdisney

Attended HHN last night and I enjoyed it very much. Scarecrow was (my opinion) the scariest maze this year... but I do have to give the creative team big props on The Shining. Like last year with The Exorcist, going in to it, I didn’t know how they’ll translate the movie into a maze but they did. The detail and scares were executed nicely, just fun. We made sure to catch Bill and Ted’s last hurrah. Scarezones were on point and the vibe was electric. HHN rules!

Timekeeper

Attended HHN last night and I enjoyed it very much. Scarecrow was (my opinion) the scariest maze this year... but I do have to give the creative team big props on The Shining. Like last year with The Exorcist, going in to it, I didn’t know how they’ll translate the movie into a maze but they did. The detail and scares were executed nicely, just fun. We made sure to catch Bill and Ted’s last hurrah. Scarezones were on point and the vibe was electric. HHN rules!

(no significant spoilers below, just some discussion on a few of the house elements)

I also enjoyed The Shining very much, and I'm a fan of the film, but one of the things that threw me off (and I haven't seen this topic addressed by any of the HHN creatives yet) is the chronology/layout of the house versus the chronology of the actual story. For example, in the first scene/entrance of the house, we have the Overlook Maze and it's already dark and snowing. Then, when Jack is breaking through the door with an axe, we get to the "Here's Johnny!" moment, only to be followed by what seems like a regression in the door-breaking. And there's Jack looking for "Danny boy" with an axe, with the bathroom/bathing scene happening afterwards. Etc.

It's understandable that the house picks up midway into the film, with the more thrilling parts, but it just seems like the chronology of the layout would be a bit jarring for anyone familiar with the film. I don't recall this being an issue with film-based houses in the past, and I'm curious as to how the creatives justify this design.

raven

(no significant spoilers below, just some discussion on a few of the house elements)

I also enjoyed The Shining very much, and I'm a fan of the film, but one of the things that threw me off (and I haven't seen this topic addressed by any of the HHN creatives yet) is the chronology/layout of the house versus the chronology of the actual story. For example, in the first scene/entrance of the house, we have the Overlook Maze and it's already dark and snowing. Then, when Jack is breaking through the door with an axe, we get to the "Here's Johnny!" moment, only to be followed by what seems like a regression in the door-breaking. And there's Jack looking for "Danny boy" with an axe, with the bathroom/bathing scene happening afterwards. Etc.

It's understandable that the house picks up midway into the film, with the more thrilling parts, but it just seems like the chronology of the layout would be a bit jarring for anyone familiar with the film. I don't recall this being an issue with film-based houses in the past, and I'm curious as to how the creatives justify this design.
I also thought Shining was good but they seemed to try a little too hard to fit all of the elements into it. The typewriter hanging on the wall? etc. I also didn't care for the 1/2 mask look for Jack. I'd rather just see the actors face, the mask was very distracting. Otherwise it was a great house!

raven

I also thought Shining was good but they seemed to try a little too hard to fit all of the elements into it. The typewriter hanging on the wall? etc. I also didn't care for the 1/2 mask look for Jack. I'd rather just see the actors face, the mask was very distracting. Otherwise it was a great house!
Went through Shining again last night and decided that the 1/2 mask-look on Jack resembles Frankenstein's monster. :eek:

Tom Morrow

I'm not the biggest HHN fan, but I will say that this year was pretty good and there seems to have been some improvements toward making it a more enjoyable experience. Or maybe I just got lucky on the nights I went.
- In general it seemed less crowded overall (though I know a handful of nights it was crazy busy this year)
- There seemed to be far less Express pass holders than in previous years, so the lines were actually moving pretty steadily. Two years ago there were so many Express passes entering that it was pointless to even try the houses for the first few hours because of how slow the standby lines moved.
- The house queues were set up in slightly more enjoyable ways with less corralling into huge switchback areas and colored lighting instead of white floodlights.

The crowds seemed less drunk and rowdy overall. The cutback on alcohol sales seemed to have helped.

I was happy that there was no annoying voiceover over the parkwide BGM loop this year.

My ranking of the houses:
1. Scarecrow
2. Dead Waters
3. American Horror Story
4. Hive
5. The Fallen
6. Ash Vs. Evil Dead
7. The Shining
8. Saw
9. Blumhouse

JT3000

My ranking of the houses:
1. Scarecrow
2. Dead Waters
3. American Horror Story
4. Hive
5. The Fallen
6. Ash Vs. Evil Dead
7. The Shining
8. Saw
9. Blumhouse

After about 9 visits with one more to go, my ranking would look pretty similar to this, but I'd definitely have Blumhouse closer to the middle of the list. It's not one of the fancier houses, but the cast has been consistently fantastic. Scare factor isn't the only metric I use to judge a house, but if it were, Scarecrow, Blumhouse & Hive would be my top 3 quite easily.

SSH

We had a great time this year, despite hearing from many regulars that they felt a bit disappointed, compared to their experience last year.

Thinking ahead to next year...I'd LOVE to see a Stranger Things house!:D

Disneyhead'71

I thought the houses and zones were solid this year. It definitely felt less crowded on the 2 times we went.

Overall, I thought the tone and ops were considerably less fun this year.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom