Hall of Presidents Refurbishment Watch

The Grand Inquisitor

So I have a question for @marni1971 is the HOP currently open? My question really is if the show is not open will Disney make the effort to make a expensive new AA with everything being so cost cutting right now. Like I don't see Disney spending a lot of money on a new AA so sudden until at least the economy recovers and the pandemic is over.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Personally, for the 50th Anniversary, I'd like them to go back to the original 1971 presentation (with all presidents up to Biden included).

Then after the 50th they can being back the 2017 show with or without a Biden speech.

Still doing that “for the 50th” thing, huh?

I’ve said it elsewhere but I wouldn’t be surprised if on January 20th they did what they did with in 2001 - run the current show but remove the sitting presidents speech and move the figure until ready to install Mr.Biden. Given the time and money put into the current (IMHO excellent) show format I don’t see it changing drastically.

I think you are very likely right with that.

I’ll post an educated guess on than one: they will move HARD at getting that thing rolled over...nothing like the last time. Full speed ahead.

FettFan

I’ve said it elsewhere but I wouldn’t be surprised if on January 20th they did what they did with in 2001 - run the current show but remove the sitting presidents speech and move the figure until ready to install Mr.Biden. Given the time and money put into the current (IMHO excellent) show format I don’t see it changing drastically.

Hm. I don't know if I would call the current incarnation of the show "Excellent". I think the 2009-2016 version was the best...but that might just be my biases towards Morgan Freeman and Theodore Roosevelt...

That plus the narration was the weakest I've heard since Maya Angelou. I don't blame the voice actress, but the script was probably written by the same folks who did Judy Dench's Spaceship Earth. Shaky, not stirring.

Last edited by a moderator:

FettFan

They could pick any spare Audio-animatronic mannequin they have backstage, put it in a suit, and have a better likeness than the Trumpequin they spent so much time on last go-round.

The Trumpamatronic bears more than a passing resemblance to Robin Williams' Mrs. Doubtfire mask.
1200px-MoMI_NYC_-_Mrs._Doubtfire_mask_%2814886101309%29.jpg

Which you can see on display at the Museum of the Moving Image, in Astoria, Queens, New York!

Fable McCloud

I think that it would be kind of nice to go back to the original Lincoln narrated show for the 50th, but if they can't they could make the new Biden figure and still have other narration. I also agree with the statement about getting the Madame Tussaud sculptors onboard to help make the figures look closer to real and less like nightmare fuel.

I also had the thought that eventually they're gonna need to figure out how to keep fitting figures up there. Adding another riser to the back could add more visual appeal, be fairly cheap, and help fit 46+ bodies up there.

OR, to cut costs and space, they could make them all be heads in jars like on Futurama. Just saying.

JIMINYCR

At some point, it will come out that Lincoln was actually mean to a certain group of people and he will become controversial. The only safe pick is to have Tom Hanks speak. Hall of Hanks. He has the range to play all 46.
Every President past and future can/ will have controversial points discussed. Dig deep enough and no one is pure innocent and without fault. Lincoln did have many faults, one which was considered extensive abuse of his Presidential power during his term. His assassination, his legacy surrounding the emancipation of slaves and restoring the union, the positive lessons taught in schools, keeps him in a state of grace with most Americans.
Tom Hanks, also revered by most, ( I loved him as Walt and in his many other roles) has had his issues that some may fault. We are all human, and fault can be found with anyone. Too bad that the lesson about those who throw stones isnt reflected on before doing so.

Pepper's Ghost

This is a sincere question, not a political one and wondering what folks think Disney would do in this scenario...
Suppose 45 resigned from the presidency two days before his last day in office (for whatever reason), and Pence takes over the presidency for 2 days. Technically Pence would be 46, and Biden would be 47. Again, keeping the politics out of this conversation, do you think Disney would put 2 new AAs on stage for Pence and Biden? I'm assuming yes since technically Pence would be a president. I'm just curious because in this scenario he wasn't elected president and only served 2 days.

Thoughts on whether Disney would create AAs for both men?

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
This is a sincere question, not a political one and wondering what folks think Disney would do in this scenario...
Suppose 45 resigned from the presidency two days before his last day in office (for whatever reason), and Pence takes over the presidency for 2 days. Technically Pence would be 46, and Biden would be 47. Again, keeping the politics out of this conversation, do you think Disney would put 2 new AAs on stage for Pence and Biden? I'm assuming yes since technically Pence would be a president. I'm just curious because in this scenario he wasn't elected president and only served 2 days.

Probably not

Goofyernmost

Probably not
If you can find a way to alter history (which has been happening often lately) Pence would be President even it if was only a day. So yes he would be included for accuracy and Biden would be 47.

I'm not sure of this but he might be just acting President like he would if the President was in the hospital, for that time and not sworn in as President. That might be possible, but I don't have a copy of protocol right here in front of me.

Minnie Mum

I'm not sure of this but he might be just acting President like he would if the President was in the hospital, for that time and not sworn in as President. That might be possible, but I don't have a copy of protocol right here in front of me.
Would it be embarrassing if a Canadian was to point out that the circumstances and procedures are covered in your Article I I and 25th amendment of your Constitution? Remember Gerald Ford was sworn in immediately after Nixon's resignation. There was no perid as "acting" president

Rich Brownn

If you can find a way to alter history (which has been happening often lately) Pence would be President even it if was only a day. So yes he would be included for accuracy and Biden would be 47.

When Richard Nixon resigned, Ford became president. Acting president is when it's temporary. Same when a president dies in office. Like the monarchy, the presidency is never vacant.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Is Disney going to add Biden, or are they afraid of the reaction from the Trump crew?
Biden is easy. 4 years ago the refurb came so late. Security was added do to the controversial in the attraction. Disney is rethinking this attraction going forward.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
The Trumpamatronic bears more than a passing resemblance to Robin Williams' Mrs. Doubtfire mask.
1200px-MoMI_NYC_-_Mrs._Doubtfire_mask_%2814886101309%29.jpg

Which you can see on display at the Museum of the Moving Image, in Astoria, Queens, New York!
Must remember the lTrump kept not cooperating forever and a day with Disney to record and sit for artists. Ya get what you deserve in some cases.
Remember Iger briefly joined a business leadership role with Trump and quit quickly with other business leaders. Most quickly resigned and Trump holds grudges so he made Disney wait until Now or never from Disney. Trump then disbanded the leadership forum.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

Would it be embarrassing if a Canadian was to point out that the circumstances and procedures are covered in your Article I I and 25th amendment of your Constitution? Remember Gerald Ford was sworn in immediately after Nixon's resignation. There was no perid as "acting" president
I didn't say they were going to do it, I just put it out there as a possibility. I don't think they would either because then there would be no pardon power. However, if the last 4 years has taught us anything it is that criminals traitors do not follow laws very closely. However, when Eisenhower had a heart attack while in office and again when Reagan was shot, there was, albeit briefly, an Acting President. The Vice President had to step up.

Goofyernmost

When Richard Nixon resigned, Ford became president. Acting president is when it's temporary. Same when a president dies in office. Like the monarchy, the presidency is never vacant.
Yes, like I just said, if anyone can tell me that these are normal times with normal happenings, I will be more than happy to agree that it wouldn't happen. However, we have spent enough money we don't need to spend it to change the stationary just for a few days. So, it was said, not necessarily as a fact, but as a possibility.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom