Hall of Presidents Appreciation Thread

General Grizz

Original Poster
Hall of Presidents could well be the Magic Kingdom's most unsung attraction. But over the past years, I have developed quite a fondness for this classic. Although some people find it boring (what can I say? Some of the guest population just doesn't like sit-down shows), I find it to be truly inspiring.

Although the American Adventure is far superior in its means of story-telling and awe, the Hall of Presidents seems just more nostalgic. Yet, it's a type of nostalgic attraction (one of MK's three originals, by the way) that can constantly be updated and improved.

I'm also a fan of the music. Something about seeing Audio-Animatronics at Disney seems just so much more special after seeing them slowly being phased out.

It also adds a great sense of complexity to the Magic Kingdom. Compare a multi-media presentation of United States president with the thrills of Space Mountain. The difference in storytelling adds so much more magic. This is something truly honorable.

Feel free to discuss this great attraction.

(P.S. Politics should never enter this thread).

mrtoad

I too like it and did when I was a kid as well. There are times in my life that I have found it boring and others not so. I know that sounds strange but as most people my interests have varied over time and in those changes, have come back to enjoying. I did not get to do it on our last trip as our daughter was just 3 and there was no way she would have sat through it. It was not worth the interuption it would have caused for others. Maybe our next trip we will try.

I am surprised only three originals are left. I went my entire childhood and sometimes I am surprised of things that I thought were always there (like the WEDWay and CoP) but were not. What are the other two original attractions left? CBJ and Jungle Cruise? Not sure if the second is correct. I would say another Adventureland attraction but it has been changed for the worse (Iago and Zazu).

Do you have a full list of opening day attractions?

Thanks,
Mike

PurpleDragon

I am not a big fan of HoP (I'm one of those who finds it boring:snore: ), however I love seeing audio-animatronics. I think they were a great invention and should be brought into more attractions rather than be phased out. I remember reading somewhere that a few years ago they had updated the technology and the audio animatronics have stop motion ability, in otherwords they would move like a normal human, instead of in slow motion. What bothers me is why we have not seen more of these new type audio-animatronics? Are they not cost effective? What is the reason? The use of this technology gives them the ability to tell great stories (i.e. PoC, HM, AA, etc..) but yet they are being used less and less.

WDWScottieBoy

I don't think I've been to HoP since 1996 or 1998 unfortunately. I still love listening to the music and narration of the show though, very inspiring and relaxing. Maybe the trip in December will find me heading towards that show.

(I thought this thread was called Hall of Presidents Application Thread at first. So I think hmm....what's the application and has Grizz created a new job at the WDWR that even THEY don't know about. :lol: )

General Grizz

Original Poster
The "Magic Kingdom Originals" - meaning the brand new, unique rides to the Magic Kingdom on opening day - are considered to be the Country Bear Jamboree, Hall of Presidents, and Mickey Mouse Revue (now at Tokyo Disneyland Park).

The Magic Kingdom opened with:
The Walt Disney World Railroad
Jungle Cruise
Swiss Family Treehouse
Sunshine Pavilion
Tropical Serenade
Cinderella’s Golden Carrousel
Dumbo, The Flying Elephant
Peter Pan's Flight
Mad Tea Party
Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride
It’s a Small World
Snow White’s Adventures
Diamond Horseshoe Revue
Country Bear Jamboree
Mike Fink Keel Boats
Hall of Presidents
Haunted Mansion
Skyway
Grand Prix Raceway
Mission to Mars
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea

P.S. If you haven't been to the HoP in more than four years, go back! I was pleasantly surprised when I watched it last year for the first time in several. (Same thing happened to me with Timekeeper, which later became a favorite).

PurpleDragon

General Grizz said:
If you haven't been to the HoP in more than four years, go back! I was pleasantly surprised when I watched it last year for the first time in several. (Same thing happened to me with Timekeeper, which later became a favorite).
I will, I'll check it out next time I go (hopefully soon)!!:sohappy:

WDWScottieBoy

General Grizz said:
P.S. If you haven't been to the HoP in more than four years, go back! I was pleasantly surprised when I watched it last year for the first time in several. (Same thing happened to me with Timekeeper, which later became a favorite).

Well count me in for seeing it in December then Grizz. Unfortunately the group I was with didn't want to see TK my last trip so I had to pass on it. :rolleyes: I'm hoping (but highly doubting) that I can see it in December as well for one last time. Well look on the bright side, I get to see SGE....hmm....not sure if that's a good or bad thing yet. :lol:

MKCP 1985

I salute the zeal of all who take the time to experience the Hall of Presidents and to appreciate its music, history and patriotism.

I agree with the philosophy of "something for everybody, not everything for everybody" and with that, you will not find me inside the Hall of Presidents probably ever again in this lifetime.

What makes the Magic Kingdom a magical place has always been the uniqueness of its attractions, much more than just thrill rides, and to that end, I applaud the use of realistic automated figures and hope money and research will be devoted to advancing the technology into the next generation.

PeeplMoovr

I really appreciate this attraction. Audio Animatronics always win me over.

I have a question:
I seem to remember the "in house" (or current) President didn't say much, or at all, until 12 years ago or so. Is this correct? My memory sometimes fails me. I remember Clinton, and now Bush, speaking. But did Carter, Reagan, Bush I, etc, each speak as Bush II does now?

I'm not sure having the current President speak is such a great thing (I'm not only saying this about our current president - I mean ANY current president - this is apolitical), only because we're bombarded with them daily anyway. I'd appreciate seeing more of the older Presidents come alive through this show. More Washington, Jefferson, or Millard Fillmore would be nice. (j/k on the Millard Fillmore)

I do love the show, though, and always have, being a history buff.

I sort of look at this as the predecessor to American Adventure (which I enjoy a more), but HoP still holds its own against any attraction. And anything with audio animatronics is good for me.

mrtoad

Sorry, I had misunderstood what you meant. No wonder most of those seemed like things that have always been there. Now I feel stupid. :eek:

Of the three originals, my favorite is the one that is gone. I loved the Mickey Mouse Revue.

Of the others that opened, I do not know what the Sunshine Pavilian is. What was it? I never did the Diamond Horseshoe or the Keelboats. And wasn't Mission to Mars later, and was Flight to the Moon first?

Thanks,
Mike

General Grizz said:
The "Magic Kingdom Originals" - meaning the brand new, unique rides to the Magic Kingdom on opening day - are considered to be the Country Bear Jamboree, Hall of Presidents, and Mickey Mouse Revue (now at Tokyo Disneyland Park).

The Magic Kingdom opened with:
The Walt Disney World Railroad
Jungle Cruise
Swiss Family Treehouse
Sunshine Pavilion
Tropical Serenade
Cinderella’s Golden Carrousel
Dumbo, The Flying Elephant
Peter Pan's Flight
Mad Tea Party
Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride
It’s a Small World
Snow White’s Adventures
Diamond Horseshoe Revue
Country Bear Jamboree
Mike Fink Keel Boats
Hall of Presidents
Haunted Mansion
Skyway
Grand Prix Raceway
Mission to Mars
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea

General Grizz

Original Poster
Flight to the Moon was an attraction at DISNEYLAND, which later changed to Mission to Mars when we landed on the moon. So we got Mission to Mars, Alien Encounter, and Stitch's Great Escape (in that order).

Sunshine Pavilion was an area by Adventureland. (Primarily a restaurant, no?) A special Orange Bird hung out around there.

P.S. You missed out bigtime on Diamond Horseshoe. I hope they bring it back. :(

BACK TO THE HALL OF PRESIDENTS. . . (you guys aren't THAT bored, are you?! ;) :D )

mrtoad

General Grizz said:
Flight to the Moon was an attraction at DISNEYLAND, which later changed to Mission to Mars when we landed on the moon. So we got Mission to Mars, Alien Encounter, and Stitch's Great Escape (in that order).

Sunshine Pavilion was an area by Adventureland. (Primarily a restaurant, no?) A special Orange Bird hung out around there.

P.S. You missed out bigtime on Diamond Horseshoe. I hope they bring it back. :(

BACK TO THE HALL OF PRESIDENTS. . . (you guys aren't THAT bored, are you?! ;) :D )

I thought the bird was at the Sunshine Tree Terrace. Are they one in the same then?

Also, I was sure I have a photo from the MK that has a Flight to the Moon sign up. I must have dreamed that up though.

mrtoad

PeeplMoovr said:
I really appreciate this attraction. Audio Animatronics always win me over.

I have a question:
I seem to remember the "in house" (or current) President didn't say much, or at all, until 12 years ago or so. Is this correct? My memory sometimes fails me. I remember Clinton, and now Bush, speaking. But did Carter, Reagan, Bush I, etc, each speak as Bush II does now?

I'm not sure having the current President speak is such a great thing (I'm not only saying this about our current president - I mean ANY current president - this is apolitical), only because we're bombarded with them daily anyway. I'd appreciate seeing more of the older Presidents come alive through this show. More Washington, Jefferson, or Millard Fillmore would be nice. (j/k on the Millard Fillmore)

I do love the show, though, and always have, being a history buff.

I sort of look at this as the predecessor to American Adventure (which I enjoy a more), but HoP still holds its own against any attraction. And anything with audio animatronics is good for me.

Clinton was the first to speak besides Abe.

MichRX7

Premium Member
The HoP is an amazing attraction. The attention to detail is astounding. I enjoy watching the non-speaking presidents as they nod, whisper to each other, etc during Abe's speech.

I took my in-laws to WDW for the first time two months after 9/11 and my mother-in-law cried during the HoP performance and my father-in-law was beaming with patriotic pride as we walked out. It is a truly powerful performance if you take the time to watch it and listen.

On a side-note it was something I skipped constantly year-after-year during my teenage years, but now with kids of my own I drag them in there and make them sit through it. :lol:

Expo_Seeker40

Yes Walt Disney World did infact have Flight to the Moon at the lunar theater aka mars theater aka X-Tech theater aka Stich!

Flight to the Moon was a quickie to solve the gap in the very small and hardly developed tomorrowland 1971. It didn't open on October 1st, 1971, BUT did make the opening of Chirstmas Season 1971. It lasted until 1975 when it was replaced by Mission to Mars.

Disneyland California had all three versions in their course of history for tomorrowland. Rocket to the Moon, Flight to the Moon, and Mission to Mars.

Walt Disney World had the final to versions, that being Flight to the Moon, and Mission to Mars. Mission to Mars ran from 1975/or 1976-1994

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I can remember thinking as a child, How does this thing take off and no one outside can see it taking off?.......Mission to Mars was a great ride, expecially when the seat bottoms moved.....

General Grizz

Original Poster
Expo_Seeker40 said:
Yes Walt Disney World did infact have Flight to the Moon at the lunar theater aka mars theater aka X-Tech theater aka Stich!

Flight to the Moon was a quickie to solve the gap in the very small and hardly developed tomorrowland 1971. It didn't open on October 1st, 1971, BUT did make the opening of Chirstmas Season 1971. It lasted until 1975 when it was replaced by Mission to Mars.

Disneyland California had all three versions in their course of history for tomorrowland. Rocket to the Moon, Flight to the Moon, and Mission to Mars.

Walt Disney World had the final to versions, that being Flight to the Moon, and Mission to Mars. Mission to Mars ran from 1975/or 1976-1994
Whoops! Thanks for the correction. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom