Hairspray!

hcswingfield

Original Poster
Is awesome. My feet were tapping the entire movie. Nikki Blonsky is a real discovery, and Elijah Kelly has the voice of an angel. John Travolta is totally believable as Edna, and he and Christopher Walken have incredible chemistry in their number together. Queen Latifah is at her best. Michelle Pfeiffer chews up the scenery and is hilarious. Zac Efron and James MMarsden are perfectly cast as well. Watch for lots of fun cameo appearances by Jerry Stiller, John Waters, Rikki Lake, Adam Shankman (director) and Marc Shaiman (songwriter). I would not be surprised to see Oscar nods for Blonsky and Latifah. It really is a terrific film!:sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

dandaman

Normally I "hate" all of the musicals my sister loves (and there are many!), but it's all in good fun.

...And even I have to admit, I like two or three songs on there. Catchy, but not "Gwen Stefani annoying" catchy. :lol:

('Course I saw Transformers while she saw Hairspray yesterday. :lookaroun)

BiggerTigger

I haven't seen the movie yet, but I hate when it's not as good as the stage show. I really enjoyed it on stage. Just made you want to get up in the aisles and dance. (Not to mention Harvey Fierstien was phenominal as Edna). It will be a good debate to compare him and Travolta. But to me Edna will always be Harvey.

More then likely I will wait until it comes out on video to have a true opinion on this.

WDWKat26

I really enjoyed the movie! But, I wasn't crazy about John Travolta, it seemed like there wasn't a lot of chemistry between him and Christopher Walken...maybe it's just me, but that's what I felt when watching the movie. Maybe it's because to me, Christopher Walken acts somewhat the same in every movie. Who knows. Either way, I really enjoyed the music and thought it was great!

BRER STITCH

I haven't seen the movie yet, but I hate when it's not as good as the stage show.

NO WORRIES HERE, TIGGER!

The movie pulls off a miracle and is actually MORE enjoyable than any stage production I have seen!

It is a movie that truly will have most people smiling from beginning to end. The new edit and re-orchestration of the enitre score really bring the heart and soul of the story out. Outstanding performances by all involved!

(Yes...even Travolta, who easily "won me over" after His first scene!)

GO SEE IT!

:sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

^^^^ - Four happy little enthusiastic torso-less votes for HAIRSPRAY!!!

hcswingfield

Original Poster
I haven't seen the movie yet, but I hate when it's not as good as the stage show. I really enjoyed it on stage. Just made you want to get up in the aisles and dance. (Not to mention Harvey Fierstien was phenominal as Edna). It will be a good debate to compare him and Travolta. But to me Edna will always be Harvey.

More then likely I will wait until it comes out on video to have a true opinion on this.

Listen to Brer Stitch! Music this good should be heard in a big theatre with the full digital sound. And these performances need to be seen on the biggest screen you can find.

BRER STITCH

I thought this was pretty funny so I'll share it here:

The Top 16 Songs that did NOT make it into the Movie "Hairspray":

16 - Please Tease Me

15 - Comb Together

14 - Mane in the Mirror

13- Footmousse!

12- A Merkin Pie

11 - I Can't Drive With This Beehive

10 - Should I Spray or Should I Blow

9 - Spraying aHive

8 - Barber Ann

7 - I Would Dye For You

6 - Curl, You Know It's Goo

5 - Toup John T.

4 - You Highlight My Wife

3 - Her Bangs

2 - All I Need Is the Hair That I Tease

and the Number 1 Song in the Movie "Hairspray"...

Don't Cry for Me, Barbarino

:ROFLOL:

DisneyChik17

Sorry to bump an "old" thread (even though it's only a week old), but I LOVED this movie! I am such a "theater geek" so I love musicals, but this one was so much more than I expected. I think it was better than...Grease, but don't tell anyone. LOL! Anyway, I just wanted to share that. I am listening to the soundtrack now. :D

barnum42

I saw it last weekend and really enjoyed it. I think I'd have preferred to see the original Broadway Momma in it rather than Travolta as the original's rough as a badger's voice sounded brilliant.

Who else thought Travolta took some of his characterisation from Dr Evil?

BRER STITCH

I think I'd have preferred to see the original Broadway Momma in it rather than Travolta as the original's rough as a badger's voice sounded brilliant.

Ya gotta love Harvey! :lol:

HARVEY.jpg

:sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

yeti

The beat never stopped once through the whole thing. John Travolta was fun, but personally I liked Christopher Walken the best. All in all, a great film.

lunalovegoddess

I grew up on the version with Divine, Sony Bono, and Ricki Lake. Ric Ocasek was one of the cameos.
I was hesitant to see Travolta play the part, (mainly because he looks like my cousin in the role), but now I'm curious.

DisneyChik17

I saw it last weekend and really enjoyed it. I think I'd have preferred to see the original Broadway Momma in it rather than Travolta as the original's rough as a badger's voice sounded brilliant.

Who else thought Travolta took some of his characterisation from Dr Evil?

I love John Travolta, but I have to agree. I was so hooked on the Broadway soundtrack that it's was so odd to hear Travolta Edna. I did like that he made it his own though. No use in one legend imitating an other legend.

DisneyJill

I saw this on Sunday and LOVED it!! Sorry to bring up an old thread. But, if you haven't seen it and love a feel good musical, this is your movie. :wave:

hcswingfield

Original Poster
I saw this on Sunday and LOVED it!! Sorry to bring up an old thread. But, if you haven't seen it and love a feel good musical, this is your movie. :wave:

Glad you enjoyed it! And it's much better to bring up an old thread than to start a new one on the same topic, so thanks!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom