Guys, I froze!!!

Kelsybelle

Original Poster
I think I posted this in the right place, if not please feel free to move it.:)
This is kind of long...

Like many of you out there, my Husband and I love planning every detail of our vacations to WDW. It is part of the fun to be able to plan the months away and make our vacation as smooth and carefree as possible. With that being said, this is the situation that occured last night!

I could have taken total advantage of my Husband! He had a miserable day at work and was cooked when he got home. He is an Enviromental Engineer and works for a private construction testing company and was just exhausted mentally and physically from his day. We had our usual Monday night with dinner and our nightly walk with our dog and baby, nothing unusual until later in the evening. I was checking our E-Mail when he sat next to me and said, "Wouldn't it be fun to go to WDW for 4 days this October?" Of course I said yes and made sure he wasn't meaning in place of our longer trip we are beginning to plan for May 09. He said "No" and implyed we could do both! This is so completely out of character for him so I didn't ask too many more questions. Then he got out the calender, picked dates, had me check out the Jet Blue web sight for flights, checked out prices for rooms at a moderate resort, handed me the credit card and said, "Book it!" I froze!!! I didn't do it! I just felt like he had such a horrible day at work and this is where this was coming from! I didn't want to take advantage of him because I know he was in a "I really, really miss Disney mood" and I thought he would regret it once it was booked.
We are a once a year Disney family. With the cost of running our house, cars, my business and just life expenses, there really isn't too much room to plan a quick Disney getaway! We live very comfortably but I think this would just make things really tight.
I didn't sleep at all last night. I kept thinking I was nuts for not going for it! I haven't talked to him yet today (he left at 5:00 a.m.) so I don't exactly know what he is thinking but I want to know what you guys think! Do you think I did the right thing? Or do you think I should have taken advantage of the situation and booked everything? :confused:

Gucci65

I think you did the right thing as well. I like you, would have been up all night wondering.

HOWEVER, if he comes home tonight and asks if you have the confirmation numbers then maybe there is an upcoming bonus he wants to surprise you with.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

MattyFresh

I say bring it up to him when he gets home, and if he was serious.....then you book everything. Also as a fall back, you do have a certain time frame where you can cancel and get your money back, the close it gets the less you get back, but that could be an option.

I am sure you can still find everything you need to pull it off, I mean its only been one day.

maggiegrace1

Ask him today...tell him the reason why you did not book it and see if he agrees.

He may say that you are right and decide it is best you all do not go then..or he may say he feels that a short vacation is what is needed to help him relax...

Let us know..:)

Brwneyedgirl72

I wouldn't call it "freezing", I think you were just trying to be sensible. My recommendation would be to speak with your husband when he gets home tonight and if he is still interested in going - go for it. It may be that he really needs a break or wants something to look forward to. Sometimes, you just have to do it for your mental health. Plus - if you have never been in October, you will be there in time for the Food & Wine Festival, which is my family's favorite time to go to WDW.

Wilt Dasney

He may say that you are right and decide it is best you all do not go then..or he may say that you are right but he feels that a short vacation is what is needed to help him relax
Do all the options start the same way? :lookaroun

To the OP: Just ask him again today. If he still thinks it's a good idea, then go for it. If he's changed his mind, then you wouldn't want to have booked it anyway, based on what you've already said. It's never a bad idea to sleep on a big decision before pulling the trigger.

Vernonpush

Personally, I would have booked it (with some number crunching). Your husband needs his "Down Time" away form the stresses of the job. If he says "book it", I would do it at once ( and look into getting an Annual Pass for one [if not both of you, if you don't already have]). The savings for the AP room rate (if you go deluxe) will cover the cost of the passes themselves (depending on you lenght of stay) and/or make your your return visit cheaper.

Ask him again tonight.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Kelsybelle - you did the right thing. A one day pause in booking the vacation isn't a big deal. My bet is that he'll really appreciate your thoughtfulness, regardless of whether he still wants to go or not.

MousDad

Just book room only, or offsite. The cancellation policies aren't nearly as severe. You can always get your tickets the night before you leave and pick up at will call. (It takes about 30 seconds with the machines.)

mickeymouse090

I think you did the right thing too...just bring it up again when he gets home, maybe today will be a better day for him & then you can discuss the trip then. I'm sure it was hard holding back, I mean we are talking DISNEY here! :ROFLOL:

Kelsybelle

Original Poster
You guys are the best! Thank you all for posting, you are really putting my mind at ease!

I'll keep you posted!

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
You did the right thing. If you feel like you would be "taking advantage", you shouldn't do it. So ask again (call him now!), and if he still thinks it'd be good, and you think it is affordable, just do it. You only live once

disneymyway

You are a very sweet girl! I can tell you want to do the right thing for your family and still care that everyone is happy.

I wouldn't forget it completely. Someone (usually we women - sorry guys :p ) have to have to voice of reason, and we need to step back and think before we act. That said, if he's up for it, maybe you can make it work!

You know that fake trip - plan it for awhile and maybe it will become a real one if the numbers crunch right!

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
I think you're probably overthinking it.
If he indicated a need for a quickie October trip....it may be very necessary for him to have to make the current dreary days tolerable.

Why not give Kingdom Konsultants a call and see what bargains might be available. October is one of my favorite times to go!

maggiegrace1

Do all the options start the same way? :lookaroun

To the OP: Just ask him again today. If he still thinks it's a good idea, then go for it. If he's changed his mind, then you wouldn't want to have booked it anyway, based on what you've already said. It's never a bad idea to sleep on a big decision before pulling the trigger.
:lol:
@SS!

You know what I was talking about...:p
I edited for you!

Katybug

Only you know your financial situation. If I thought I could afford it then I would go. I would have froze too!! How exciting would that have been. I would also bring it up again and talk a little more about it. Good luck! I hope you get to go!!! :wave:

RebeccaMA

I think you did the right thing by waiting. Ask him again tonight and if he still wants to do it, then go ahead and book it. Only you know him though, so you are probably the best judge for answering that question.

JESPOOH

It happens to everyone, when you have a bad day and you feel like you need to get away. In my own case, when my husband has said that to me, sometimes I have gone and sometimes I have said no. Its true you have to look at finances, but what I would do is look at my budget and see if there was anyway I could maybe squeeze some money out of it, even if I had to sacrifice something. I think it is worth it because of the memories you will always have, and it really helps sometimes when you can get away from your problems even for a little while. I would ask your husband again and see what he says.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom