Guest Surveys as way to gauge interest in new rides/shows: how does this work?

hauntology

Original Poster
Sorry if this thread seems to be in the wrong section but I couldn’t stop thinking about Bob Chapek popping off about how he’s been listening to the guests who want MORE FAMILY, MORE VALUE, AND MORE DISNEY at our parks while I groaned at my illegal live stream thinking “boo, we want LESS Disney for the most part”. EDIT: by less Disney I don’t mean no character representation...Moana doesn’t even HAVE a permanent meet and greet in WDW yet which is awful. I simply mean I’d like more rides and experiences with original stories and characters made for the park created. Like Expedition Everest.

I’ve taken one exit survey in my entire life and of course it was at EPCOT. I was sixteen and I straight up said this park needed Horizons back in some sort of capacity (that’s my old wishful thinking,) etc. I was really in depth about the things that made me upset about current Epcot (this was almost 9 years ago) and even name dropped Imagineers work I loved, etc.

I’m honestly curious as to how the data is read by the parks from surveys to really think about what new attractions are added. There’s so many different type of park guests—is there one they’re particularly aiming for when making new attractions?

And with that in mind, do they survey Annual passholders as well? I’m sure APs with an interest in keeping the parks legacy’s alive will say lots of recent stuff which might be of a disappointment....

Last edited:

AndyS2992

When Chapek spoke of the Electrical Parade returning to Disneyland and the crowd was cheering and whooping did I realise the reason why Disney parks are the way they are.

Tom P.

Sorry if this thread seems to be in the wrong section but I couldn’t stop thinking about Bob Chapek popping off about how he’s been listening to the guests who want MORE FAMILY, MORE VALUE, AND MORE DISNEY at our parks while I groaned at my illegal live stream thinking “boo, we want LESS Disney for the most part”.

I’ve taken one exit survey in my entire life and of course it was at EPCOT. I was sixteen and I straight up said this park needed Horizons back in some sort of capacity (that’s my old wishful thinking,) etc. I was really in depth about the things that made me upset about current Epcot (this was almost 9 years ago) and even name dropped Imagineers work I loved, etc.

I’m honestly curious as to how the data is read by the parks from surveys to really think about what new attractions are added. There’s so many different type of park guests—is there one they’re particularly aiming for when making new attractions?

And with that in mind, do they survey Annual passholders as well? I’m sure APs with an interest in keeping the parks legacy’s alive will say lots of recent stuff which might be of a disappointment....
Who is this "we" you speak of? I'm on board with more Disney in the parks. In fact, most of what was announced at D23, I'm good with. There is a certain very vocal anti-IP in the parks group around here, but that doesn't mean they are representative in any way of the average Walt Disney World visitor. In fact, I'd say Chapek's interpretation of what the customers want is probably pretty spot on.

JIMINYCR

I dont know what they take from the surveys or how they use the data they get. I have been approached by CM's on every trip and given them my time and taken the at home on line surveys Ive received after the trips were completed. evety time I think... gee it would be great if my survey answers were given some attention and could improve my next trip. But they never seem to me they make a hoot of difference. So on my next trip I'm seriously thinking of waving the survey takers off and using my extra minutes I save to eat a Mickey Bar. At least I know I'll get some enjoyment out of that.

tissandtully

The surveys specifically weed out those who go to WDW all the time. I've had one ask how many times I've been in the last X months and then got basically, "Thanks for your time, but we're not interested in your opinion", and it ended the survey right there.

Which, in all honesty, is not a bad thing. We are a very small minority of Disney guests and the results shouldn't be skewed by the Dreamfinder lifers who think it's a personal affront that something isn't there anymore. (no offense to anyone, it's just an idea why they do this.)

eliza61nyc

I believe @hauntology is referring to the amount of IP being forced into every thing they build or refurbish

Which always kind of baffles me, what else would they put in. I think it's nostalgia. the days of new long rides not based on a movie are gone and since they are not coming back ever, I'll always vote the other way. Maelstrom was old and hideous, so was The great movie ride. they needed to go or be updated. Now since Disney isn't allowing the imagineers to run free anymore, I'd much rather have Ip.

surveys are tricky affairs. they can be worded and/or manipulated to give a desired outcome. I've gotten quite a few surveys usually after the trip is over, I don't think they use them to make decisions on what goes into the parks but I have no inside track.

hauntology

Original Poster
Why would you want less Disney in a Disney park? If you want less Disney, go to Universal...

I don’t want less Disney, I would like for project featuring original characters and ideas not exclusively related to movies to still be created.
Who is this "we" you speak of? I'm on board with more Disney in the parks. In fact, most of what was announced at D23, I'm good with. There is a certain very vocal anti-IP in the parks group around here, but that doesn't mean they are representative in any way of the average Walt Disney World visitor. In fact, I'd say Chapek's interpretation of what the customers want is probably pretty spot on.

I think so too about the accuracy of what people are expecting since it’s usually family vacations and people online are a vocal minority. I do like more Disney in the parks if it means a varied use of IP.

The anti IP crowd is more about anti IP shoehorning. Shoving IP into places it doesn't fit just for the sake of IP. The majority of people who complain about IP, shoehorning seems to be the main reason. Look no further than Frozen.

This is really my only major problem with IP.

WhatJaneSays

The surveys specifically weed out those who go to WDW all the time. I've had one ask how many times I've been in the last X months and then got basically, "Thanks for your time, but we're not interested in your opinion", and it ended the survey right there.

Which, in all honesty, is not a bad thing. We are a very small minority of Disney guests and the results shouldn't be skewed by the Dreamfinder lifers who think it's a personal affront that something isn't there anymore. (no offense to anyone, it's just an idea why they do this.)
This right there is the hardest thing for what I call "involved fans" to accept when it comes to how the data gets categorized and studied. I have a background in statistics and it's still difficult to explain to people that if, using the case of this forum as example, you are actively reading or posting about a topic ... you are statistically insignificant even if the consensus of topics seem to be in agreement. Simpy the act of reaching out to engage puts the data obtained from you into a separate category, you are already not the audience they need to convert.

hauntology

Original Poster
This right there is the hardest thing for what I call "involved fans" to accept when it comes to how the data gets categorized and studied. I have a background in statistics and it's still difficult to explain to people that if, using the case of this forum as example, you are actively reading or posting about a topic ... you are statistically insignificant even if the consensus of topics seem to be in agreement. Simpy the act of reaching out to engage puts the data obtained from you into a separate category, you are already not the audience they need to convert.

I didn’t even know that from that perspective which I was curious about. It makes sense because there’s more first time visitors that will ever really come to WDW than die hard involved fans.

justintheharris

Sorry if this thread seems to be in the wrong section but I couldn’t stop thinking about Bob Chapek popping off about how he’s been listening to the guests who want MORE FAMILY, MORE VALUE, AND MORE DISNEY at our parks while I groaned at my illegal live stream thinking “boo, we want LESS Disney for the most part”. EDIT: by less Disney I don’t mean no character representation...Moana doesn’t even HAVE a permanent meet and greet in WDW yet which is awful. I simply mean I’d like more rides and experiences with original stories and characters made for the park created. Like Expedition Everest.

The average park guest wants more Disney IPs in Epcot. Frozen is the only reason Epcot got any attention in the last 10 years. You’d be surprised how many parents take their little princesses to Epcot, ride Frozen, meet Anna and Elsa and immediately leave after.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
The average park guest wants more Disney IPs in Epcot. Frozen is the only reason Epcot got any attention in the last 10 years. You’d be surprised how many parents take their little princesses to Epcot, ride Frozen, meet Anna and Elsa and immediately leave after.

The Frozen ride and meeting the sisters was definitely the only reason we went to Epcot on our first trip.

hauntology

Original Poster
The Frozen ride and meeting the sisters was definitely the only reason we went to Epcot on our first trip.

Did you ever end up doing anything else on subsequent trips? Epcot has such varied reception it's kind of fascinating to me. I know they got lots of hype when the Frozen ride happened.

Rupert901

Does "MORE DISNEY" in the parks entail MORE of the hodgepodge of Bobby Iger's non-Disney corporate acquisitions in the parks: for instance does shoehorning third-rate Marvel characters into Epcot make Epcot MORE DISNEY because the Walt Disney Corporation happens to own that property at present? I doubt the IP madness really has much to do with surveys (which are always worded in favor of the desired response anyway): it's due to the management philosophy that sees the parks as giant billboards for Bobby's soulless popcorn flicks.

Last edited:

TalkingHead

Customers want more Disney than Disney?

Guests want more Disney at WDW? What’s that even mean?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom