deleted

GlacierGlacier

This isn't park news or rumors. Nothing will change as a result of someone's foot being run over at a value resort's food court.

Much better fit for general discussion. Not here.

Edit: I am wrong.

Last edited:

tissandtully

Lol, what a “win”. Probably take home $5k after lawyers. Asking for 11m, which basically forced Disney to take it to court is the dumbest thing she could have done, not sure how her lawyers though this would work out.

tissandtully

Honestly, this is a win for the mouse. The amount was likely no where near what she wanted, and it's enough to pay off the lawyers and make it go away and disappear- and at a far cheaper amount than it would have cost to actually litigate it.
It went to court, it was litigated, I don’t understand what the defense was thinking.

YorkshireT

I am not sure where this fallacy comes from that people don't win lawsuits against Disney. Disney do not think they are beyond the law, and like any other company, if there is liability, their in house legal will look to settle. Or they will fight, sometimes win, sometimes lose. Many large companies have top notch legal counsel, and lose lawsuits.
As someone who defends lawsuits for a living, and even defends CPRS lawsuits, I suspect a big motivator for taking this to the hearing is Disney didn't accept the alleged disabilities caused by the alleged CRPS- something that the jury seems to have been sceptical of given the payout.
Whilst I am not saying it happend in this case and just speaking generally as I do not know this case, I can tell you I see people claiming severe disabilities caused by CRPS after the most minor of accidents, and we often prove them to be functioning at a much better level via surveillance etc.

Last edited:

UncleMike101

Its an injury setlement and not technically income so its not subject to taxes. (at least not in the state I reside)
That depends on what portion of the settlement is punitive, and what portion is reimbursement for medical bills and related expenses.
The IRS taxes punitive damages as income.

Tom P.

If the injuries are as bad as she claims, $24,000 seems a very low amount for a jury to award.

If the injuries are not what she claims, $24,000 seems a very high amount for getting your foot hit by a food cart.

In either case, something seems off about this.

Wrangler-Rick

Just Horsing Around…
Premium Member
Lol, what a “win”. Probably take home $5k after lawyers. Asking for 11m, which basically forced Disney to take it to court is the dumbest thing she could have done, not sure how her lawyers though this would work out.

DisneyCane

Malpractice, unnecessary surgery, insurance fraud, over testing, big pharmaceutical influence, to name a few . Doctors are like any other profession, they are not all perfect.
What does malpractice have to do with honesty? Malpractice is when a doctor makes a mistake due to negligence.

Unnecessary surgery? A surgeon that did surgery for no reason would eventually be sued for malpractice.

Over testing is because of malpractice suits and a big contributor to the high cost of health care.

While there are doctors that have committed insurance fraud it isn't the norm that would give doctors a bad reputation as a general rule.

The influence of "big pharma" is rather exaggerated. Not many doctors are going to prescribe medication for no reason because some bubbly rep takes them to lunch. That would be a good way to lose their license.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom