deleted

Paper straw fan

“complex regional pain syndrome”?

Sounds like pedantic jargon for “an ouchy”

Not all suits are frivolous, the famed “McDonald’s hot coffee”one was far worse than the legend had it, but if they asked for 11 large and settled for 24k, that was just an attorney saying “I bet we can get something out of them”

lawdogNOLA

ironically, I was thinking of the McDonald's coffee case. What most people don't realize is that the woman involved suffered severe burns, 3rd degree, to her crotch area, including her genitals, and required insertion of a catheter. The award did not, IIRC, account for any degree of personal fault on her part, as is common in many jurisdictions, and occurred in this case. And, of course, the award was substantially reduced on appeal. Now the point I'm making is not whether the woman should've received money, or how at fault she was; every time this story comes up, it's considered a joke, "Haha, spill coffee on your lap and get tons of money." The woman had severe injuries, and required skin grafts, IIRC. How much do you think you should get if your genitals received 3rd degree burns and you had to use a catheter for weeks?

The interesting things in this case: Was a settlement ever offered by Disney? And if so, was it for more than the amount the jury awarded? Will there be an appeal? Based on the superficial article, it appears that the jury had issues with the woman's truthfulness and that can torpedo an award big time. But to dismiss this woman's injury? There's just no basis for doing that. I've seen people who've suffered life altering injuries that aren't readily apparent to most people. Sometimes accidents happen and no one is to blame, no matter how severe and obvious the injuries are. So, yes, this woman's injuries might be vastly overstated. But they might also be something you are vastly underestimating and failing to understand.

fngoofy

med_1462884164_image.jpg

lazyboy97o

ironically, I was thinking of the McDonald's coffee case. What most people don't realize is that the woman involved suffered severe burns, 3rd degree, to her crotch area, including her genitals, and required insertion of a catheter. The award did not, IIRC, account for any degree of personal fault on her part, as is common in many jurisdictions, and occurred in this case. And, of course, the award was substantially reduced on appeal. Now the point I'm making is not whether the woman should've received money, or how at fault she was; every time this story comes up, it's considered a joke, "Haha, spill coffee on your lap and get tons of money." The woman had severe injuries, and required skin grafts, IIRC. How much do you think you should get if your genitals received 3rd degree burns and you had to use a catheter for weeks?
The big part that gets left out is that the McDonald’s in that case had repeatedly been told that it’s coffee was too hot. They knew the coffee was hotter than what is considered reasonable and safe but continued to serve it anyway.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
If the injuries are as bad as she claims, $24,000 seems a very low amount for a jury to award.

If the injuries are not what she claims, $24,000 seems a very high amount for getting your foot hit by a food cart.

In either case, something seems off about this.

with that being said... hundreds of Disney guests now are following food carts in hopes of getting run over too

Brad Bishop

I am not sure where this fallacy comes from that people don't win lawsuits against Disney. Disney do not think they are beyond the law, and like any other company, if there is liability, their in house legal will look to settle. Or they will fight, sometimes win, sometimes lose. Many large companies have top notch legal counsel, and lose lawsuits.

The other thing that people don't see are when something legitimately bad happens, the people are reasonable and ask that the medical bills be taken care of, and Disney, or any other company, just steps up to the plate because:
  1. They know it was their fault / want to make it right
  2. The people are looking to dig for money - just have those expenses covered

It happens. Not everything has to include cops, lawyers, and the courts.

You just don't hear about it.

MrHappy

Maybe she could sit properly in her chair and not have her foot in the aisle.
I was at La Hacienda one night and watched a lady sit down on the lobby sofa and bang her head on the picture frame hanging behind her.....and.....wow. What came after that was Oscar worthy.

Paper straw fan

with that being said... hundreds of Disney guests now are following food carts in hopes of getting run over too

I never understood this. (Maybe I’ve never been in financial dire straits, but would someone who’s staying at a WDW resort?) but I’d never try to intentionally maim myself for financial gain. Not that I am some health nut, but my well being is worth more to me than money.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom