guest assistance card - is this an unfair use?

Pixie VaVoom

Hi guys - I am very new to the forums, but I have a few questions. I am traveling to Disney world in January for a 7 night stay and was wondering what you all think. We have a group of 3 of which I am the youngest at 51 and I am wondering if we should investigate a 'guest assistance pass'. ( I know - cringe now) Here is the deal. My Mother is 72 and has hip and ankle issues, my DH 63 has a certified back disability and I am diabetic with activity asthma, and drug related heat intolerance issues (main reason we are going in January). But we really want to do Disney. Mother and DH have never been, and we are now in a financial situation to afford it. I don't want to abuse the system, or be classed as one of those yuppie rich-#itches who abuses the GAC, but at the same time my group is not going to be sprinting from Fastpass to Fastpass either. What do you all think? Does anyone know if we would even qualify?? what documentation should we bring??

MOXOMUMD

Hi guys - I am very new to the forums, but I have a few questions. I am traveling to Disney world in January for a 7 night stay and was wondering what you all think. We have a group of 3 of which I am the youngest at 51 and I am wondering if we should investigate a 'guest assistance pass'. ( I know - cringe now) Here is the deal. My Mother is 72 and has hip and ankle issues, my DH 63 has a certified back disability and I am diabetic with activity asthma, and drug related heat intolerance issues (main reason we are going in January). But we really want to do Disney. Mother and DH have never been, and we are now in a financial situation to afford it. I don't want to abuse the system, or be classed as one of those yuppie rich-#itches who abuses the GAC, but at the same time my group is not going to be sprinting from Fastpass to Fastpass either. What do you all think? Does anyone know if we would even qualify?? what documentation should we bring??
Will you be renting ECVs or wheelchairs? You won't need a GAC. If not you may want one for the few rides with stairs.

Upvote 0

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
I dont have a ton of experience with GAC cards, but I'd first maybe reference this page for basic info:
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/plain-text/

I would think that your party would fall into the guidelines to request assistance, and I would not worry about being accused of abuse. There are ALWAYS going to be people who look around and judge others without any sort of knowledge of their actual physical needs/situation. The purpose of these GAC systems is to try and aid those that would like assistance in the most fair way possible. There will always be abuse of any system, but the system is there to ensure that you and your party can have as enjoyable and easy of a trip as possible given any physical limitations. If you feel that folks in your party would struggle in touring the parks and could benefit from the GAC, then I'd suggest investigating it, regardless of what others might think.

Upvote 0

luv

You don't need documentation. Anyone who walks in says they want it gets a GAC.

It doesn't really matter if you need it or not.

They give it to everyone.

Upvote 0

ddrongowski

My Mother is 72 and has hip and ankle issues
DH 63 has a certified back disability
I am diabetic with activity asthma, and drug related heat intolerance issues
What do you all think?
Does anyone know if we would even qualify??
what documentation should we bring??
If she is mobile without a wheel chair just go slow and easy. There are lots of places to sit and take breaks.
I did 10 days with a pulled back (happened while I was there) at WDW, had me in SERIOUS pain, so he should be fine. But a GAC would not help for any back pain once it starts.
My wife is also diabetic and we both have asthma. Again don't over exert and have your needed meds with you. My wife once dropped to around 32 and looked WAY out of it. Had the son run into Peco's Bills and get OJ, and I got her cookies at a food stand. Took about an hour but she recovered and we continued with MNSSHP. Now I always have an OJ in my cargo shorts pocket, and a tube of glucose tabs and inhalers.
Your in as bad of shape as the majority of us, so just go easy and have a fun time. Also if your flying make sure to have you needed meds in a separate zip lock baggie.
Don't know, but unless your using a wheel chair I wouldn't even bother with a GAC.
Again I don't know, but I have heard that they can't question it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ddrongowski

So January is a "quiet season"?? That would be good - i have only been in august, and once in early december...so Total Busy time.
We were at MK on Christmas day in 2008 and the park was so empty. Seemed like we could only see around 100 other people in every direction we looked. Almost every ride was walk on, I really appreciate Disney giving my family and the other 100 people in the park that day "That special magical experience". I know they closed it down and wouldn't let anyone else in. Just for us and the 100 others.

Upvote 0

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
It should be cooler in January and a little less crowded. It sounds like you would have a valid reason for using the GAC, you might as well get one and if you don't need it you don't have to use it.

Upvote 0

tare

Gac is way overly abused as are the scooters. If you really need one go for it. It doesn't mean you have to use it. Have fun.

Upvote 0

ml123_9

In your case, I would get a GAC. For the record, because you are in an ECV or wheelchair, the ride attendant will want to see your GAC. We went a few weeks ago, my DS7 uses a wheelchair, and the ride attendant at every ride asked to see the card.

Upvote 0

DJMoore2011

Hi @Pixie VaVoom ,

First LOVE the name and your profile picture.

Second, as others have said get the GAC, your group is one of the groups it was made to help.

Yes you might it stared at or comments, ignore them. Do what is best for you and your family to have an enjoyable trip to WDW.

Yes there are lots of places to sit down, I have a Special Needs Daughter and while we did not use the GAC (I did not know about it at that time) we just took our time walking and checking things out. On a couple of days we only did half days in the park because of her own issues. We found lots of places to sit and people watch until we were ready to go again.

Go enjoy your trip and take whatever assistance you feel you need to make things the best for all of you.

DJ

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom