Guess the NBA bubble wasn’t the slam dunk Disney was hoping for

TJ Vazquez

Premium Member
In the Parks
No
I didn't realize one could have a clickbait title on a message board but sure. Sorry someone urinated in your cornflakes this morning. I posted this because it was trending on Twitter this morning. Disney thought that the players would be posting and news would be reporting about what a great time they had at WDW. Instead Disney's getting bad press. It seems like you're taking this personally, which is weird. I'm not saying if they had a good time or not, all I'm saying is from a PR perspective this wasn't great and I doubt it will make people want to go to WDW.
If you want examples here you go:

That quote really screams "Disney is awesome, come here if you can because it is amazing!"

If you can link to some positive press specifically about the great times the players had where they speak about how they'll be coming back to Disney or how much they'll miss it, I would love to see them.
They could have been based at the 4 seasons and still would complain about the bubble. No matter where you are, if you're told you can't leave the premises for 4 months, it will drive you crazy.

Heppenheimer

Advertisement
Any military vets out there? I know that the level of comfort the NBA players enjoyed was infinitely higher than living on a FOB for 6 months, but the same psychological effect is probably relevant. When you're stuck in the same physical place week after week, with all of your movement tightly controlled and the same limited routine and leisure options, you can start to feel almost imprisoned.

It doesn't matter how much you're paid (combat pay is pretty generous), and it doesn't matter how primitive or luxurious the setting. The external limits on your activities can cause quite a bit of stress.

monothingie

Ludicrous Speed, GO!
Premium Member
Players upset over police brutality toward Blacks was a reason why the bubble almost didn't take place to begin with (cf. Zion). That they wanted to leave over it isn't surprising... they held up games for a few day because of it.

Had nothing to do with Disney. If you think that gives Disney a black eye, you're welcome to that unfathomable opinion.
Wasn’t it the sub par accommodations and crappy food that gave Disney a bad rap?

doctornick

Players upset over police brutality toward Blacks was a reason why the bubble almost didn't take place to begin with (cf. Zion). That they wanted to leave over it isn't surprising... they held up games for a few day because of it.

Had nothing to do with Disney. If you think that gives Disney a black eye, you're welcome to that unfathomable opinion.

I'm still confused. Outside of clickbaity titles, what does any of this have to do with WDW in particular? Wouldn't anyone get sick of being in one general place for months? Who knew that being isolated in one place without one's family would be monotonous and trying. :rolleyes:

Is there a specific issue about Disney that came up?

MisterPenguin

Rumormonger
Premium Member
I'm still confused. Outside of clickbaity titles, what does any of this have to do with WDW in particular? Wouldn't anyone get sick of being in one general place for months?

Is there a specific issue about Disney that came up?

IDK either. The one player quoted also complained he wouldn't even want to play the Orlando team in Orlando, and the players had almost zero interaction with Orlando proper.

Maybe it's just the Florida heat. They all complained about that. As does most WDW guests.

DisneyOutsider

He was clearly joking around about having been stuck in the same hotel room with the same people and the same food for a long period of time.
I didn't realize one could have a clickbait title on a message board but sure. Sorry someone urinated in your cornflakes this morning. I posted this because it was trending on Twitter this morning. Disney thought that the players would be posting and news would be reporting about what a great time they had at WDW. Instead Disney's getting bad press. It seems like you're taking this personally, which is weird. I'm not saying if they had a good time or not, all I'm saying is from a PR perspective this wasn't great and I doubt it will make people want to go to WDW.

That quote really screams "Disney is awesome, come here if you can because it is amazing!"

If you can link to some positive press specifically about the great times the players had where they speak about how they'll be coming back to Disney or how much they'll miss it, I would love to see them.
Not a single one of those articles back up your claims that NBA players didn't appreciate their WDW accommodations. Their desire to leave the bubble was based on a potential protest of current events outside of WDW.

I don't think you were trying to click-bait, I think you just don't understand any of the quotes that you've linked. None of this is bad press for Disney. Implying otherwise shows a lack of understanding.

monothingie

Ludicrous Speed, GO!
Premium Member
You think maybe the players were told don’t criticize WDW? For a group so vocal about so many things (well except for China) it’s really funny that after the first week no more negative social media posts or leaks to reporters about WDW.

dothebrdwalk

You all act like they were rope dropping Galaxy's Edge and hitting Disney Springs for dinner. No. They were stuck in their room at Coronado except to work out and play. Could it have been worse? Yes. But they were away from their families (which they've never been for an "entire season") and were probably bored out of their minds.

MisterPenguin

Rumormonger
Premium Member
You think maybe the players were told don’t criticize WDW? For a group so vocal about so many things (well except for China) it’s really funny that after the first week no more negative social media posts or leaks to reporters about WDW.

For a conspiracy like this to work, you need a thousand people in on it who don't leak that they were told what to say.

HarperRose

Oh, you mean the guy who said outright his kids were too spoiled to come to WDW to watch him play? That guy?

GimpYancIent

The WDW NBA bubble was a good way for the Mouse to siphon money out of a sports franchise with no season during difficult times. The players thought it was about them and not the fans. The entire episode was an over dramatized low quality circus. The viewership numbers reflect that. Mickey made some money off of a loser, now that is free enterprise.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Top Bottom