Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind SPOILER Thread

floydbeatle

I rode Cosmic Rewind this morning with family. We were lucky to get BG1. Lots of fun. It's definitely a ride most guests can get on and we had no issues with motion sickness. Also, loved how you move around in the cars. Great ride and no complaints.

Casper Gutman

I thought the ride portion was us going back to the big bang to save Rock-n-Roll?

Before launch, there is some banter and music is brought up, the really big dude yells 'what is that noise' -- he decides to go back in time and erase music -- so we rock back to try and stop him and to save music!

That was my take on the music part anyway.
He’s already decided to destroy the Earth and taken it back in time at that point. The comment from Quill about rock is a total non sequitur.

SplashJacket

Having ridden Guardians twice today. Wow.

Epcot finally got the headliner it has needed for years.

In terms of the park, Soarin’, Test Track, and Mission Space no longer bear the weight of being the top attractions (MS in my heart). This greatly changes the day at Epcot.

As I’m currently standing waiting for Harmonious to start, this has been one of my best days at Epcot. Absolute blast. The attraction lineup is still bottom heavy, but now it has a satisfying topper.

As for Guardians itself. Wow. Truly Space Mountain 2.0. The only spoilers I knew, was the track layout in Energy, the station, and that one electricity scene thing. Nothing else.

The teleportation pre-show. Wow. Truly great. On par with all time great pre-shows like the portrait chamber and Rise rotational. It’s not a FoP preshow. When I walked into the room and they said to keep away from the walls, and especially when the white lights started blinking, I turned to my brother and said “this wall is about to disappear like figment.”

I really truly wish they had an animatronic Groot and Rocket on the ship, would’ve added so much. Especially since there’s only one pre show room. No excuse for the ride not to have two animatronics. However, I don’t think the ride suffers from a lack of animatronics mid-ride.

The mid ride experience is fantastic. My jaw was absolutely on the floor the entire time. Utterly mind blowing. Truly feels like you’re in space.

That being said, that Big Bang coaster they designed, I don’t think we didn’t get it. Honestly, the ride barely feels like Guardians. They could remove Guardians and the ride wouldn’t lose or gain anything. The villain made zero impact on my ride experience.

This truly is Space Mountain if made today, and if they threw everything at it. It doesn’t feel too short, and that might be the only coaster I’ve ever felt that on (except Great American Scream machine, good lord get me off of it!)

The Epcot references are whatever. We chuckled but they don’t matter.

The attraction feels like Epcot (through the queue).

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I thought the ride portion was us going back to the big bang to save Rock-n-Roll?

Before launch, there is some banter and music is brought up, the really big dude yells 'what is that noise' -- he decides to go back in time and erase music -- so we rock back to try and stop him and to save music!

That was my take on the music part anyway.

Pre-show:
  • Shows what the Big Bang looks like that created galaxies
  • Shows Cosmic Generator that creates wormholes
  • Get teleported up to the Xandarian ship
  • Eson steals the cosmic generator, ship loses power
  • The Guardians are contacted
  • Eson says Earth has failed the test and creates a jump point back to the dawn of time to ‘erase the error.’
  • Eson takes Earth through the jump point
  • The jump point gate is closing
  • The Xandarian ship can’t follow without the generator
  • Rocket says to send the evacuation shuttles thru the portal to keep track of Eson
  • Earthlings board the evacuation ships.

Pre-Launch:
  • ride vehicle (RV) is in motion
  • the Guardians have locked onto the evacuation ship (RVs)
  • RV goes through the first portal and sees Earth and Eson
  • Eson complains of ‘noise’ – time for Rock ‘n Roll
  • Guardians bump into Cosmic Generator (which changes color from yellow to a green glowing orb) knocking it out of Eson’s hand, and causing a jump back to the Big Bang.

Launch:

• Big Bang happens (reverse launch)
  • Rocket spots the Cosmic Generator “there it is!” and grabs it.
  • Rocket Opens up a jump point and RV goes through
  • Quill tells Rocket “any time!” trying to get thru jump points to evade Eson
  • RV goes through another jump point and sees the formation of galaxies
  • Xandar Corps shows up through jump points
  • RV goes through another jump point
  • Xandar Corps ‘net’ restrains Eson
  • Travel around the moon and past Earth
  • RV jumps to disembarkation

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Pre-show:
  • Eson says Earth has failed the test and creates a jump point back to the dawn of time to ‘erase the error.’
  • Rocket says to send the evacuation shuttles thru the portal to keep track of Eson

Pre-Launch:
  • Guardians bump into Cosmic Generator (which changes color from yellow to a green glowing orb) knocking it out of Eson’s hand, and causing a jump back to the Big Bang.

Launch:

Spoilers!! Geeeez!

CntrlFlPete

Pre-show:

Pre-Launch:

Launch:

in other words, we went back in time to save Rock-n-Roll!

Casper Gutman

in other words, we went back in time to save Rock-n-Roll!
I mean, first you go back to save Earth, which Eson pulls into the jump point for no clear reason (if his goal is to destroy Earth at the beginning of time, why steal modern Earth?) Then, at some indeterminate point in time between now and the Big Bang, the Guardians (who have already travelled through time to stop Eson) mention rock n' roll. And that starts a soundtrack which is occasionally rock n' roll (how many of the songs are actually rock?)

It's a very badly written ride.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
I mean, first you go back to save Earth, which Eson pulls into the jump point for no clear reason (if his goal is to destroy Earth at the beginning of time, why steal modern Earth?) Then, at some indeterminate point in time between now and the Big Bang, the Guardians (who have already travelled through time to stop Eson) mention rock n' roll. And that starts a soundtrack which is occasionally rock n' roll (how many of the songs are actually rock?)

It's a very badly written ride.
But... but it's fun.

mergatroid

Having ridden Guardians twice today. Wow.

Epcot finally got the headliner it has needed for years.

In terms of the park, Soarin’, Test Track, and Mission Space no longer bear the weight of being the top attractions (MS in my heart). This greatly changes the day at Epcot.

As I’m currently standing waiting for Harmonious to start, this has been one of my best days at Epcot. Absolute blast. The attraction lineup is still bottom heavy, but now it has a satisfying topper.

As for Guardians itself. Wow. Truly Space Mountain 2.0. The only spoilers I knew, was the track layout in Energy, the station, and that one electricity scene thing. Nothing else.

The teleportation pre-show. Wow. Truly great. On par with all time great pre-shows like the portrait chamber and Rise rotational. It’s not a FoP preshow. When I walked into the room and they said to keep away from the walls, and especially when the white lights started blinking, I turned to my brother and said “this wall is about to disappear like figment.”

I really truly wish they had an animatronic Groot and Rocket on the ship, would’ve added so much. Especially since there’s only one pre show room. No excuse for the ride not to have two animatronics. However, I don’t think the ride suffers from a lack of animatronics mid-ride.

The mid ride experience is fantastic. My jaw was absolutely on the floor the entire time. Utterly mind blowing. Truly feels like you’re in space.

That being said, that Big Bang coaster they designed, I don’t think we didn’t get it. Honestly, the ride barely feels like Guardians. They could remove Guardians and the ride wouldn’t lose or gain anything. The villain made zero impact on my ride experience.

This truly is Space Mountain if made today, and if they threw everything at it. It doesn’t feel too short, and that might be the only coaster I’ve ever felt that on (except Great American Scream machine, good lord get me off of it!)

The Epcot references are whatever. We chuckled but they don’t matter.

The attraction feels like Epcot (through the queue).
Sounds like you enjoyed it. Several people think the story line is really not the best, yourself included. If I'm reading you correctly though, you seem to imply that doesn't matter too much as the experience overall is so good? I equate it to the likes of Spiderman at Universal myself, an attraction that's brilliantly executed in many ways even though the story line makes little sense.

If you sit down and analyse it, it's pretty ridiculous but does't really matter unless you want it to. I mean you're walking into a newspaper press office and are suddenly told that it's your job report on the statue of liberty being stolen, why not send real reporters and if they're too scared why would none reporters do it? The bad guys have threatened to destroy the statue of liberty unless the city surrenders to them, where to start with this? They have an anti-gravity gun and the best way they can think of using it is to 'kidnap' a statue and threaten to destroy it unless the city surrenders, couldn't the city just build another statue? Anyhow you manage to instantly stumble into some tunnels that just happens to house the criminals who've taken it (rather conveniently) and despite them having hi-tech equipment and super powers, they're unable to destroy unarmed civilians like yourselves. At the end Spiderman saves you and yet somehow also manages to web and capture all the bad guys simultaneously despite them all being free 30 seconds prior to this. Jameson thanks you for doing a great job which makes no sense as he has no idea what you've actually done or seen and if you were going to write up a report for him, it would be all about Spiderman saving the day which goes against all his beliefs.

I mean none of the above matters if you enjoy the attraction and I certainly do. However if we're going to judge it based partially on how the story pans out logically, then it falls down a bit there as does Guardians. Glad you enjoyed it so much, it will be over a year till I can hopefully experience it myself.

Incomudro

Sounds like you enjoyed it. Several people think the story line is really not the best, yourself included. If I'm reading you correctly though, you seem to imply that doesn't matter too much as the experience overall is so good? I equate it to the likes of Spiderman at Universal myself, an attraction that's brilliantly executed in many ways even though the story line makes little sense.

If you sit down and analyse it, it's pretty ridiculous but does't really matter unless you want it to. I mean you're walking into a newspaper press office and are suddenly told that it's your job report on the statue of liberty being stolen, why not send real reporters and if they're too scared why would none reporters do it? The bad guys have threatened to destroy the statue of liberty unless the city surrenders to them, where to start with this? They have an anti-gravity gun and the best way they can think of using it is to 'kidnap' a statue and threaten to destroy it unless the city surrenders, couldn't the city just build another statue? Anyhow you manage to instantly stumble into some tunnels that just happens to house the criminals who've taken it (rather conveniently) and despite them having hi-tech equipment and super powers, they're unable to destroy unarmed civilians like yourselves. At the end Spiderman saves you and yet somehow also manages to web and capture all the bad guys simultaneously despite them all being free 30 seconds prior to this. Jameson thanks you for doing a great job which makes no sense as he has no idea what you've actually done or seen and if you were going to write up a report for him, it would be all about Spiderman saving the day which goes against all his beliefs.

I mean none of the above matters if you enjoy the attraction and I certainly do. However if we're going to judge it based partially on how the story pans out logically, then it falls down a bit there as does Guardians. Glad you enjoyed it so much, it will be over a year till I can hopefully experience it myself.
I think of it this way too...
Does Big Thunder have story? It's a runaway train like the one at Six Flags here in NJ, just much better themed.
How about R&R's Aerosmith Coaster? The band gets us hooked up in a stretch limo, and we travel through cutouts to the gift shop.
How about Space Mountain? We blast off and... Well, we get rattled around on a coaster in the dark.
Guardians certainly attempts to have more of a story than these coasters, but does it really matter?
How many people really care?
It's a coaster, have a great time - and enjoy the visuals.

lazyboy97o

Does Big Thunder have story? It's a runaway train like the one at Six Flags here in NJ, just much better themed.
How about R&R's Aerosmith Coaster? The band gets us hooked up in a stretch limo, and we travel through cutouts to the gift shop.
How about Space Mountain? We blast off and... Well, we get rattled around on a coaster in the dark.
Guardians certainly attempts to have more of a story than these coasters, but does it really matter?
Theming is storytelling. Which of these examples were the world’s most expensive attraction? Which were touted as a new “story coaster” experience? Disney spent nearly half a billion dollars, what should be enough for multiple E-tickets because of these this story you say doesn’t matter.

Casper Gutman

The things that make Disney and Universal special are theme and story (the two concepts intertwine). A fun coaster with bad or nonexistent theming or storyline is a win for Six Flags. It is absolutely not a win for Disney, especially when the coaster was designed by Vekoma and the songs are pre-existing pop songs from the 70s and 80s - the ONLY thing Disney brings to the table in that scenario, the thing that a bulk of its huge price tag payed for, is the theming and story.

A ride defines the terms on which its narrative is taken. The theming on Big Thunder is impeccable while the story is incredibly simple - you are on a run away mine train. It establishes the terms on which the guest should understand it and then succeeds gloriously at meeting those terms. The storyline for RnR is more elaborate put still very clear - you watch Aerosmith rehearse, they invite you to a concert, and you zoom through a stylized LA to get there on time.

Spider-Man offers a perfectly executed theme park attraction storyline. First, lets consider tone. Spider-Man's tone is very silly. That's perfect. It is based on the Spider-Man CARTOONS, not the comics or films. Indeed, even if it were based on the classic Lee/Ditko/Romita comics that made Spidey a cultural icon, the tone would still fit very well. It hits many of the beats you'd expect - JJJ is cheap, arrogant, domineering, and comical, Spidey is overworked and surviving by the skin of his teeth. Even the climax, with its multi-story tumble and last minute save via web net, evokes a mythic emotional beat from the most famous Spider-Man story ever published, the Death of Gwen Stacy. Compare that to GotG. The aesthetic and story presented by the queue and loading area is clean, organized, militaristic - completely at odds with the anarchic, mercenary, jury-rigged, rust-covered spirit of the property. It may work as a Nova Corp ride, but its a million miles from a Guardians attraction. The Guardians series has a big heart, with strong emotional throughlines about the loss of family and the formation of new, unconventional family structures ("He may be your Father, boy, but he wasn't your Daddy"). CR seemed like it was setting that up and then... abandoned it completely.

Almost all of the objections to Spider-Man's story mentioned above are explicitly answered by the ride itself or are such standard elements of cartoon and comic storytelling. Guests are cub reporters (just as they are Resistance recruits on RotR or intergalactic travelers on Star Tours - this is a standard theme park narrative trope) tasked with covering the evening's events because all JJJ's other reporters have either "abandoned ship" or are "trapped out there." Jonah's frantic reaction to Spidey causes guests to almost collide with a dump truck (driven by Stan Lee) but instead they swerve into a warehouse where they encounter the Sinister Six. In trying to escape, they get flushed down a storm drain. Ultimately, Spidey defeats the Six by slamming Hobgoblin with the ride vehicle, causing Hydro-Man and Electro to crash into each other and short circuit, and kicking Ock off a roof. The only villains we don't explicitly see captured is Shriek, and no one cares about Shriek - she's only there to have a symbiote in the ride because symbiotes were hot at the time. Most of the other objections can be answered by the fact that this is a ride based on a cartoon based on a comic and it nails the fun, silly tone and the tropes of the genre perfectly.

Honestly, defend CR all you want, but don't try and pretend its mess of a story is in any way comparable to Spider-Man's very well done narrative.

Last edited:

SplashJacket

It’s not necessarily that I found the story weak, it’s that it didn’t serve an active role in the attraction, which is fine.

Everest doesn’t have a continuous plot in the traditional sense, but still a great sense of place and design.

You could takeout the Guardians and it really wouldn’t lose anything, because they don’t really add anything besides a reason to play classic rock in the gravity building. In contrast, Guardians are integral to and drastically enhance the Mission Breakout ride experience.

Don’t think it really matter. It’s a great ride regardless.

SplashJacket

The use of space in the Universe of Energy building is interesting to me. Definitely feels like a lot of it is built bigger than it needed to be, with the areas being a tad barren.

But I don’t think this is unique to Guardians. We rode Test Track shortly after and commented on the identical barrenness of some areas compared to World of Motion.

UNCgolf

You could takeout the Guardians and it really wouldn’t lose anything, because they don’t really add anything besides a reason to play classic rock in the gravity building. In contrast, Guardians are integral to and drastically enhance the Mission Breakout ride experience.

Don’t think it really matter. It’s a great ride regardless.

This is why I think the ride is partially a failure in execution.

That doesn't mean it's a bad ride -- just that it doesn't succeed in that area. It feels like they could have built the attraction without the Guardians (and probably for less money) with little to no effect on the overall enjoyability, which is a pretty big miss from a design standpoint.

The theming should enhance the ride, not simply... exist.

Tom Morrow

I think it's pretty obvious that this was built with the assumption that at some point the Guardians will be removed.

The story during the ride doesn't matter at all - correct. Literally the entire point was to spin you around stars and swirly lights and crap while music plays. Accomplished. And it's fun!

The problem here is how much story is shoved onto you in the queue and the two semi-long pre-shows. The actual ride experience seems to warrant about as much setup as Space Mountain, but instead it has almost as much as Rise of the Resistance.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom