Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind SPOILER Thread

TheEPCOTHistorian

In the Parks
Yes
It's been pointed out before -- I think it's probably a little too inside baseball and thus wasn't the best idea. The vast majority of guests aren't going to understand any of the references; it's just going to look like an unthemed hallway.

I mean, I'm a person who posts on a Disney fan forum and yet I had no idea that was the intention until someone explained it here. Normal guests will certainly have no idea.
Ahahah, I got it. As a cast member and someone who digs Imagineering and design details, it even flew over my head until I caught it over 20 rides in. I didn't know it was discussed here before. Awesome!

yensidtlaw1969

It's been pointed out before -- I think it's probably a little too inside baseball and thus wasn't the best idea. The vast majority of guests aren't going to understand any of the references; it's just going to look like an unthemed hallway.

I mean, I'm a person who posts on a Disney fan forum and yet I had no idea that was the intention until someone explained it here. Normal guests will certainly have no idea.
I think the difference between an appealing reference and "inside baseball" is how rewarding it is to uncover - The Library Preshow of the Tower of Terror is great even if you don't know it features actual props from the Twilight Zone TV Show, but finding that out makes it that much greater. The Guardians Exit doesn't do much for the guest on its own; it's pretty boring, or worse, confusing. Only once you have the somewhat hidden knowledge that it's meant to resemble a Backstage Area can you really understand why the space looks the way it does. Not exactly a satisfying moment for the guest experience.

Here's a decent tell for an easter egg vs. a convoluted shortcut - ask yourself if it cost them extra money to do it that way. Most of the time it makes things clear. The amount of money spent on a funny mirror at Guardians pales in comparison to what they must have saved by treating the hall like a basic, backstage area as opposed to something fully themed. Meanwhile, they could have saved money by throwing any old antique store junk into the Tower of Terror Library, but instead went to the lengths to include the real deal from the show.

One is a gift, the other is an excuse.

Last edited:

SpectroMan93

Sensory overload is the best way I would describe Cosmic Rewind. Wow. Very much felt like space mountain on steroids. Wish I could get a second ride though cus I wasn’t really able to follow the storyline during the coaster portion. But also I was having too much fun to care lol. Didn’t experience any motion sickness whatsoever. Overall I think it’s a solid addition to Epcot. Though compared to the other headlining attractions such as FOP and ROTR, I would place it a distant third. Incredibly fun, great ride system and effects, but felt like it lacked substance. However, once standby is available, I will be riding it again and again lol.

DonaldDoleWhip

Sensory overload is the best way I would describe Cosmic Rewind. Wow. Very much felt like space mountain on steroids. Wish I could get a second ride though cus I wasn’t really able to follow the storyline during the coaster portion. But also I was having too much fun to care lol. Didn’t experience any motion sickness whatsoever. Overall I think it’s a solid addition to Epcot. Though compared to the other headlining attractions such as FOP and ROTR, I would place it a distant third. Incredibly fun, great ride system and effects, but felt like it lacked substance. However, once standby is available, I will be riding it again and again lol.
Totally respect this opinion, although I’d take the coaster format over the other two. Can acknowledge Rise feels more ambitious.

That said, go back for repeat rides and treat it like a dance party in your seat. It’ll keep growing on you from there! (Aside from the pre-shows)

Last edited:

SpectroMan93

Totally respect this opinion, although I’d take the coaster format over the other two. Can acknowledge Rise feels more ambitious.

That said, go back for repeat rides and treat it like a dance party in your seat. It’ll keep growing on you from there! (Aside from the pre-shows)
Oh which reminds me, I loved the pre shows! Lol I’ve avoided spoilers for awhile so the transport scene was a nice surprise. I wonder if my song choice affected my ride experience. I got “Everybody Wants to Rule the World”. Which is a great song, but not really one you can dance or groove to.

DonaldDoleWhip

Oh which reminds me, I loved the pre shows! Lol I’ve avoided spoilers for awhile so the transport scene was a nice surprise. I wonder if my song choice affected my ride experience. I got “Everybody Wants to Rule the World”. Which is a great song, but not really one you can dance or groove to.
I ended up liking them all and found myself dancing to each one, but my top tier for the dance factor would be “Conga,” “September” (it’s sped up compared to the versions on streaming), and “Disco Inferno.”

Worth trying again for more!

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

That's a 6/8 groove that is easily danceable! Mellow, yes, but the vamp is definitely groovy. :cool:
Here you go.

Tho, if you're White, you'll have to settle for dad-at-daugher's-wedding clavical thrust..

Rule the World.gif

correcaminos

That was our least favorite out of the ones we got. Just didn't fit the feel right IMO.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The probability of getting all 6 songs in 6 rides is 1.5%.

The rest of the chances:

1655084430305.png

The median is 13 rides, the mean is 14.7.

This is a type of probability problem called the coupon collector's problem. The maths of it have been explored in great detail for 'collecting all 6' due to the humble six-sided die.

As you can see, you can ride it 22 times and still have 10% chance you haven't heard all six songs.

Last edited:

correcaminos

My sister actually got 5 songs over 5 rides (lucky! my first six featured the same three), and this was the one she missed.

She’s completely fine with how things unfolded haha
We had 4 rides and 3 songs. I really wanted September and Disco Inferno along with Conga and One Way... but we got Conga 2x which I was fine with. I Ran is the only one I didn't want because even IRL I find it a weak song to groove to.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Tron needed to be double tracked with a "race" between two different color lightcycles (blue vs yellow) like the Matterhorn. Not only would that help with the underwhelming capacity but would essentially address any story concept concerns.
Not even a race - how about facing an opponent, even if fake? :)

correcaminos

Yeah for me it kind of made the ride feel a little somber/subdued? Lol, I was really hoping for September. I might have to ride again with a different song to see how it shifts my view of the ride.
Yes! I mean I like the song but it felt so slow. Cool thing was we were in the front row which I find to be the best so the song was not as important. Just glad it was our 4th ride, not 1st.

solidyne

Yes! I mean I like the song but it felt so slow. Cool thing was we were in the front row which I find to be the best so the song was not as important. Just glad it was our 4th ride, not 1st.
It is slow. Well, slow-er. Still groovy!

Just for fun, here are the approximate tempos (in beats per minute (BPM)) for the songs:

160 BPM "One Way or Another"
146 BPM "I Ran (So Far Away)"
128 BPM "Disco Inferno"
126 BPM "September"
120 BPM "Conga"
114 BPM "Everybody Wants to Rule the World"

The three recorded in the 1970s are quite variable, actually, as they most certainly were not recorded with a click track. This is most notable in Blondie, since rigid metronomic time is antithetical to the genre.

Other factors can contribute to perceived tempo (subdivision of the beat, articulation, texture, instrumentation, syncopation, etc.), but this ranking lines up pretty well with most people's perception, I think.

correcaminos

It is slow. Well, slow-er. Still groovy!

Just for fun, here are the approximate tempos (in beats per minute (BPM)) for the songs:

160 BPM "One Way or Another"
146 BPM "I Ran (So Far Away)"
128 BPM "Disco Inferno"
126 BPM "September"
120 BPM "Conga"
114 BPM "Everybody Wants to Rule the World"

The three recorded in the 1970s are quite variable, actually, as they most certainly were not recorded with a click track. This is most notable in Blondie, since rigid metronomic time is antithetical to the genre.

Other factors can contribute to perceived tempo (subdivision of the beat, articulation, texture, instrumentation, syncopation, etc.), but this ranking lines up pretty well with most people's perception, I think.
Musician here and you are kind of correct but honestly over sciencing music. Latin music often feels more driving even with tempos the way they are. Conga is 123bpm but felt more danceable than One Way for us. I definitely do not put Conga low on the list. I also find the tempo of I Ran to be fast but lacking in other aspects so it is my bottom pick. Tempo or not, the song bores me.

solidyne

Musician here and you are kind of correct but honestly over sciencing music. Latin music often feels more driving even with tempos the way they are. Conga is 123bpm but felt more danceable than One Way for us. I definitely do not put Conga low on the list. I also find the tempo of I Ran to be fast but lacking in other aspects so it is my bottom pick. Tempo or not, the song bores me.
Indeed! That's why the first part of my last sentence is important; I should have placed more weight on it. Tempo is but one component of many that contribute to "feel," "energy level," etc.

correcaminos

Indeed! That's why my last sentence is important; I should have placed more weight on it. Tempo is but one component of many that contribute to "feel," "energy level," etc.
Yep! And to me I Ran totally lacks energy. I honestly forgot about the song until the list came out. And while I love Everybody... IRL, it just didn't work on the coaster for me. Too much light synth I think driving the tempo but percussion is missing.

solidyne

Yep! And to me I Ran totally lacks energy. I honestly forgot about the song until the list came out. And while I love Everybody... IRL, it just didn't work on the coaster for me. Too much light synth I think driving the tempo but percussion is missing.
Agreed!

"I Ran (So Far Away)" has the tempo, but the Verse-Chorus block is set entirely in A minor.* This burdens it with a post-punk downcast quality not totally overcome by the brief inflections to A major between blocks.

"Everybody Wants to Rule the World" may feel even slower than its metronome marking suggests, given its shuffle subdivision, which adds a laid-back feel. Imagine this one with the same BPM but with straight (duplet) eighth notes! It'd be a little more rockin'!

*To some, more properly A-Aeolian mode, as classical "keys" are not at play here. (See Allan Moore, 2003.) To others, more properly Six-Based Minor. (See Trevor DeClerq, 2021.)

[Edited to add: "...BPM but with..."]

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom