Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind SPOILER Thread

mergatroid

Joining the spoiler fun, now that I’ve made it on 6x over three days.

Interestingly, I’ve gotten three songs, twice each: “September,” “One Way or Another,” and “Everybody Wants to Rule the World.” All fantastic, danceable experiences, but I really want Conga at least once.

As someone who’s been to all 12 parks, as well as UOR (have hit both Hagrid’s and VelociCoaster) and two Six Flags, this is now my favorite ride anywhere. It’s the best of Space Mountain, Rock n’ Roller Coaster, and Mission Breakout, along with some signature Guardians humor (I fell in love with MB before having even seen one Marvel film).

For me, it’s not scary at all, but it’s still the most fun ride experience I’ve ever had. Would be even better if the pre-shows were shorter or skippable, but it’s nice that they honor the Epcot of yore.

Elements of it even look like Tron, which is unfortunate for Tron as it’s going to feel underwhelming in comparison. Tron has zip, a unique ride vehicle, and cool glowing lights; Cosmic Rewind does everything else better.

Will keep riding until I get more songs, but overall this one opening has done so much to make Epcot feel more complete. I’ve got no desire to further nitpick it, as it sparks pure jubilance unlike any other WDW ride.

Also, rebuild both Space Mountain and RnRC now; they’re completely redundant in their current states.
Thanks for posting, seems like an awful lot of people are enjoying it just like yourself. Does knowing the cost alter your opinion on the attraction?

Casper Gutman

Yeah about that, there's an elephant in the room here I'm surprised no one has brought up yet. I blame all of that on copyright BS since Universal still holds the Florida theme park rights to like 90% of the Marvel cast in perpetuity, not to mention the weird ways they decide what "counts" as an Avenger character/X-Men character/Fantastic Four character etc. The Kree first showed up in Fantastic Four #65 and Ego the Living Planet was Thor #132, so they couldn't even mention the specific events of their own films. In short, they took the table scraps they were left with and did with it what they could, hoping no one would notice.
The elements here - the Guardians, Eson, time travel - should have been plenty for a visually spectacular, coherent story. Disney simply did nothing aesthetically interesting with the various elements and wrote a bad narrative.

Also, I doubt your legal analysis, but I’m not certain that it is incorrect.

DonaldDoleWhip

Thanks for posting, seems like an awful lot of people are enjoying it just like yourself. Does knowing the cost alter your opinion on the attraction?
Nope, not at all.

One Cosmic Rewind has done far more for my happiness than one DCA 1.0 did, or one 2014-era WDSP (including both Crush’s Coaster, which I actually like, and a brand new Ratatouille).

Totally worth whatever they poured into it. Also the comparisons to Gringotts easily favor Cosmic Rewind. One nails it on setup and is otherwise a slog. The other (aside from some pre-show clunkiness after repeat experiences) nails it all the way through.

If you’ve got a musical side like I do (love party dancing) and don’t get hit by the motion sickness, there’s nothing else like this (FWIW Forbidden Journey wrecks me these days, and this did nothing). I’ve been literally bouncing and dancing in my seat, and I haven’t even gotten my top song choice yet.

BubbaisSleep

If the Big Bang is a central element in your ride, it sort of feels like it should be clear when in the ride it takes place - it should be a major, really cool effect.
I agree, pretty disappointed that this was the big bang. Maybe it looks better in person but still, this was the big selling point. Probably my only gripe with the attraction besides the lackluster empty last scene.

No Name

For one, it doesn't really cover the zig zagging the VQ does, or allow for the various "items and displays" in line. Next, it doesn't have the main room where nova prime talks from above... Or it might, but the door markings seem in accurate.

Then I thought it was a straight shot to the next room where it was a "oval of lights" versus a circle. Once the walls were lifted it was rectangular and everyone exitted through doors on the right. I can't see where that happens on the plans.

Then there was a longer hallway (than on the plans) before turning right than I can make out on the image. Beyond that the tweet from which this image came had a 2nd floor image where the preshow would allegedly exit to.. but I don't remember zigzagging at all. It was 2nd preshow, exit through the doors on the right.. walk a bit.. turn right.. funnel then the loading area was on the left. Turn left and you're going over the track then start descending.

The plans try to hint at 1 pre show duped for VQ vs ILL, but I don't see that as possible at all, especially since there are 2 actual distinct preshows. It makes me wonder if everything in that purple section is "off stage" rooms and such. Guests essentially walk up one floor in the first section of the queue and maybe we're "above" the purple section in the plans .
Oh okay. I didn’t know you were referring to the clearly black section with blue dots as purple! 😀

doctornick

That’s very good to know. Forbidden Journey is the ride that gets me the most and I was a bit worried about this one so hopefully I won’t have any issues.

As much as I’m against the concept... I’m still hoping to enjoy the ride when I get my chance!

The one thing that seems clear to me is that there is not a good "if you can ride this, you can ride Cosmic Rewind" comp - or the reverse a "if you don't tolerate x, then you probably can't ride CR". The effects of CR seem to be all over and not consistent with how people have done with any specific other ride as far as I can tell.

Unfortunately, that makes it difficult for people to have a idea whether it is possible for them. So, I guess the answer is try and see how you do (and hope you don't vomit).

DonaldDoleWhip

That’s very good to know. Forbidden Journey is the ride that gets me the most and I was a bit worried about this one so hopefully I won’t have any issues.

As much as I’m against the concept... I’m still hoping to enjoy the ride when I get my chance!
I wanted to hate it based on the big blue box alone, but I can’t - too much to love.

Also the height of that building makes a lot more sense to me now, not so much for the track but for feeling fully immersed in the stars.

Marc Davis Fan

This is a really interesting comparative review from someone who has been on both Tron and Cosmic Rewind:

https://www.thecoasterkings.com/tron-vs-guardians-of-the-galaxy-coasters/

(Having been on Tron, though, I have to say... I did not have the same reaction to it as this person. They said in their original review that Tron is their new favorite roller coaster. I thought Tron was just OK. So, I have to be skeptical of their comparative analysis...)

Giss Neric

I forgot to comment about this. With the ride length and everything else considered, Tron is going to feel like such a let-down IMO.
Tron will have a more forceful launch but the entire ride from start to finish is just a minute with two mid-course brake runs.. That was my only complaint about this when I went in Shanghai Disney a few years back. Add to that that Tron won't be as accommodating as Cosmic due to its seats but there is a traditional sit-down seat at the last vehicle but still. I prefer Cosmic Rewind over Tron.

DonaldDoleWhip

This is a really interesting comparative review from someone who has been on both Tron and Cosmic Rewind:

https://www.thecoasterkings.com/tron-vs-guardians-of-the-galaxy-coasters/

(Having been on Tron, though, I have to say... I did not have the same reaction to it as this person. They said in their original review that Tron is their new favorite roller coaster. I thought Tron was just OK. So, I have to be skeptical of their comparative analysis...)
I disagree with this review in so many ways, but I respect their right to disagree with me. At least it’s a close competition for someone out there!

Also credit where credit’s due, Tron’s loading area does look sick. Better than the one for Guardians. That’s one of the biggest places where Tron’s ‘cool’ factor comes in, alongside the glowing canopy at night (it isn’t nearly as cool during the day), but I feel Tron is all downhill once you enter the gravity building. Cohesive, sure, but eh.

The plot of Guardians didn’t bother me one bit. To be clear, I haven’t fully followed the coaster portion once, but like the CGI third act of a big Marvel production, it’s because I’m having way too much fun to care. Sensory overload in the best way: auditory + tactile.

To clarify, I don't mean this ride is too loud, just that the sound brings so much to the physical experience. There are others out there, like Roger Rabbit and even Indy, where the sound levels actually bother me.

Last edited:

Bocabear

Tron needed to be double tracked with a "race" between two different color lightcycles (blue vs yellow) like the Matterhorn. Not only would that help with the underwhelming capacity but would essentially address any story concept concerns.
but can you imagine how big that warehouse building behind would have had to have been with a double track version? Tron is a novelty because of the seating...If you were on a standard coaster train it would be a little less thrilling and Rock And Rollercoaster... The Launch into daylight sort of kills the coolness of it... and separates the ride into two parts. R&RR launches into the dark which is more thrilling, and then doesn't break the atmosphere with a change in venue...just set pieces that light strategically... While the outdoor launch looks cool, it would have been so much better to have stayed in the computer environment for the entire ride.

TheEPCOTHistorian

In the Parks
Yes
I know a few here have debunked this, but, are we sure??

4 rides on the right: 2 September 2 One Way Or Another
3 rides on the left: 2 Everybody wants to rule the world, 1 Conga
So from what I can tell from my extensive record keeping, each train is tied to a song, and each train has a "home" load side. For example, trains 9 and 2 seem to be I Ran so Far Away. They usually settle "home" on the right side. Keep in mind, this could totally get thrown off if a train gets removed from service, which happens in the event of a Code V. So I think it boils down to that formula being correct if all trains are operating on their usual home load stations.

No Name

Tron needed to be double tracked with a "race" between two different color lightcycles (blue vs yellow) like the Matterhorn. Not only would that help with the underwhelming capacity but would essentially address any story concept concerns.
but can you imagine how big that warehouse building behind would have had to have been with a double track version? Tron is a novelty because of the seating...If you were on a standard coaster train it would be a little less thrilling and Rock And Rollercoaster... The Launch into daylight sort of kills the coolness of it... and separates the ride into two parts. R&RR launches into the dark which is more thrilling, and then doesn't break the atmosphere with a change in venue...just set pieces that light strategically... While the outdoor launch looks cool, it would have been so much better to have stayed in the computer environment for the entire ride.
Nobody said the seating would have to change. And regarding the sightlines, the damage is already done, so my thinking is they should’ve gotten their mileage out of it. I’m convinced the tracks could’ve weaved in a way that wouldn’t have increased the building volume drastically and that would’ve been a more effective use of space.

There’s still the fact that the canopy doesn’t actually have a place in the story or resemble either Tron movie aesthetically but I agree it would improve things.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom