Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind SPOILER Thread

britain

That's gotta be temporary for the media event. But if they're still there on the 27th I'll call that Living with the Land Cucumber lady and get it taken care of.

My bigger concern is that show scene itself . . . all that space and that's what they fill it with? 🤨

Yeah, I understand that the "wave goodbye scene" after the climax of all rides are usually afterthoughts (because normally guests aren't paying much attention anyway), but this one does seem very weird. All that space. Maybe this room potentially gets a few trains backed up within it.

At least put the screen on the right of the room (towards the exit) rather than on the left of the room so we get to see it a little longer.

mergatroid

Watched a few different videos and I've got to say it looks very sharp screen wise. Also I'm impressed with the darkness, apart from the 'Jump points' where the track is momentarily illuminated. If the movements thrilling too, then it looks brilliant. Shame it'll be 17 months before I visit next but something great to look forward too.

UNCgolf

I completely and utterly disagree. I totally understand your perspective, particularly given your distaste for screens, but there isn’t one original attractions I’d take over it’s replacement. Kong and Jaws were ambitious and featured intriguing AAs, but the ride vehicles were very poorly designed and offered severely limited sight lines and neither gave a convincing sense of space (Amity seemed like a toy village and, ironically, Kong could really have used some SCREENZ to deepen the cityscape.). BttF was cacophonous and unappealing and captured none of the charm of the wonderful films - I rode it before I saw the trilogy and was shocked by the greatness of the movies themselves. The opening day (I believe) attractions that remain are the ones I liked - ET, the Animal show, and the Makeup show.

It has too many SCREENZ and Uni needs to address that as soon as EU is done, but right now Uni Studios is my favorite park in Orlando in which to hang out and relax, and the Animal and Makeup shows are the most rewatch/ reride friendly of any attraction at either resort.

I don't think BttF was very good, but Simpsons is just as bad if not worse.

As for everything else -- Kong is the one that wasn't a significant downgrade, in that Revenge of the Mummy is a good attraction. But as you said, Kongfrontation was ambitious, and I think it was a lot more fun than the Kong ride that now exists at IoA.

Diagon Alley wasn't a downgrade from Jaws because it's the best thing that exists at Universal, but again, as you mentioned, Jaws was an incredibly ambitious ride and even with its flaws it was much more interesting than Gringotts.

Twister and Disaster weren't as good/ambitious as the others, but they were certainly better than the absolute garbage that replaced them -- F&F and Jimmy Fallon are two of the worst attractions anywhere at Disney or Universal.

Of course it's all opinion, but if Diagon Alley didn't exist I wouldn't consider USF worth the price of admission at the moment, even though I like the actual backlot/city theming. It's just that E.T. and Revenge of the Mummy are the only two attractions really worth riding to me.

Anyways, way off topic! But I know you really like Universal so I'm glad to hear your opinion on it, even if your thoughts on USF are so completely opposed to mine.

mergatroid

What does it mean if the thing that impressed me most about this was the little Xandar model with projections on the water etc?
I'm guessing that you think the thing that impressed you most about this was the little Xandar model with projections on the water etc? ;)

waltography

Yeah it's almost impossible to tell what's happening on the ride, which isn't surprising since it's a camera filming screens at a relatively high speed.
I'm getting "what if Hyperspace Mountain was built on purpose from the ground up" vibes here.

I really like the ride and think there's a lot of fun to be had, but there are sections I'm really disappointed in that I wonder if they're also as apparent in person (like the Big Bang projection being cut off on the right by some loading bay, the visibly distorted projections of Eson, etc.).

Also, I can't keep up with the story, but that's in part because I can't really hear what's happening; at what point in the POV did we get the reactor thing back from Eson? It just feels like we jump back into Epcot for whatever reason (which is a very cool effect/update from Space Mountain, but very sudden).

Last edited:

yensidtlaw1969

Since the storyline involves time travel they should had the unload be an exact replica of a part of Epcot from the 80s
I figured at the end they'd have a "And guess who made it back with you!" moment where we'd see some relic of EPCOT past.

Imagine if all that empty space in that final showscene were filled with a mini-museum of things like the Horizons Butler, a Veggie (Fruit-Fruit), a UOE Dino . . . since they seem so ready to poke fun at Vintage EPCOT. Dare I say, Buzzy could have made a triumphant return?

Toss in a line about the Guardians bringing them back with them to see what they can get on the Black Market, or how The Collector has interest in them for some reason, or "Peter, the ship doesn't have ROOM for all these souvenirs!", or whatever.

Not really what I want this ride to be, but if they're gonna go for it then go for it.

EricsBiscuit

The main problem with Coaster Track is that it telegraphs in a highly visible way exactly what it is - a Roller Coaster. Such structures are found pretty exclusively in one type of place - Amusement/Theme Parks.

The issue is that when you're in a Theme Park you're generally not meant to feel like you're in a Theme Park, you're meant to feel like you're somewhere else. Generally, both you and the park have paid a lot of money for the illusion that you're somewhere else. High-flying exposed coaster track is the quickest way to undercut all the rest of the immersion and remind people where they actually are instead of where they're meant to feel like they are. Which defeats much of the purpose of a Theme Park vs. a mere Amusement Park.

There are ways of doing it that work; as someone mentioned earlier, Velocicoaster is set Jurassic World, which is still a theme park, so a coaster isn't wholly inappropriate. That sort of level of thematic redundancy isn't my personal favorite, but it's technically a fair justification for exposed coaster track. How the sightlines impact the other lands is a bit of a different story, but your mileage may vary about how much that sort of intrusion bothers you. But within it, the exposed track doesn't break the theme of the land because "Theme Park" is the theme of that land.

However, the places within theme parks where "Theme Park" is the theme are few and far between, precisely because so much of the design goal of a theme park is to help you forget you're actually in one. So a good first step to doing that is to mask out anyting that screams "Theme Park". That's why Disney doesn't have a lot of Ferris Wheels, either - they give away the "secret" that this whole place is actually a kind of Amusement Park, despite millions of dollars and years of construction meant to convince you otherwise.
Not all coasters have diegetic track. The Barnstormer for example has non diegetic track.

yensidtlaw1969

Not all coasters have diegetic track. The Barnstormer for example has non diegetic track.
I didn't say they did. I said that exposed Roller Coaster track reads as Roller Coaster track. Even non-diegetic exposed coaster track signals to the audience that they're in a theme park-type environment, whether that's part of the thematics or not.

The Barnstormer is an example where they probably could have gotten away with making the track diegetic - change the vehicle to something less plane-like and frame the coaster as part of the Traveling Circus. Then you'd no longer have to ask people to pretend not to see something that's plainly visible and you support the Circus theme while doing it. It's not like Barnstormer is some massive coaster that couldn't plausibly be a traveling attraction. Do up the buildings in a style that matches Dumbo next door, paint the track red, and call it a coaster because it is one. Give it some fun, chasing lights to make it pop at night and you've plussed the area and minimized the distance with which the audience must suspend their disbelief.

EricsBiscuit

I didn't say they did. I said that exposed Roller Coaster track reads as Roller Coaster track. Even non-diegetic exposed coaster track signals to the audience that they're in a theme park-type environment, whether that's part of the thematics or not.

The Barnstormer is an example where they probably could have gotten away with making the track diegetic - change the vehicle to something less plane-like and frame the coaster as part of the Traveling Circus. Then you'd no longer have to ask people to pretend not to see something that's plainly visible and you support the Circus theme while doing it. It's not like Barnstormer is some massive coaster that couldn't plausibly be a traveling attraction. Do up the buildings in a style that matches Dumbo next door, paint the track red, and call it a coaster because it is one. Give it some fun, chasing lights to make it pop at night and you've plussed the area and minimized the distance with which the audience must suspend their disbelief.
At some point, we just have to accept the fact that it is a theme park.

imagineer97

In the Parks
No
Agreed... the projection effect in the tunnel on the brake run is pretty cool, but that final room with the hologram is pretty "meh"... if for nothing else, there is just so much unused space in that room...
That's why we need to keep talking about how blank the ending is so they can add some animatronics!!! It could happen. A few years down the road, perhaps. Look at the Gran Fiesta Tour! (Granted, those were recycled from 1971...)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom