News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

Incomudro

The best option would have been to build a themed show building that wasn't larger than Spaceship Earth. Make the coaster smaller or use a different ride system.
Or find a way to camouflage it with a berm and trees, which as we know - couldn't be done giving the existing space constraints.

Missing20K

I don't know...
Would I want a highly Guardian themed monstrosity looming to the side of Spaceship Earth?
It would become the focal point of that side of the park.
Would I want it? Definitely not. Would it be an improvement over what’s there? My humble opinion says it would. I’d rather a billboard with an 80 foot tall Peter Quill holding a 4 foot tall Walkman. It works for the POP/AllStars.

Idk, it seems like it’s the focal point of that side of the park anyway (I’ll find out in person soon enough). Might as well make it spiffy.

Incomudro

Would I want it? Definitely not. Would it be an improvement over what’s there? My humble opinion says it would. I’d rather a billboard with an 80 foot tall Peter Quill holding a 4 foot tall Walkman. It works for the POP/AllStars.

Idk, it seems like it’s the focal point of that side of the park anyway (I’ll find out in person soon enough). Might as well make it spiffy.
I I don't share this sentiment.

Missing20K

Even if they would have found some way to streamline the building, it would have been better. But the probably would have added another 5 years of construction…
Streamline how? It’s a 130 foot tall box. Not being snarky, I’m just not sure how to streamline something so large and imposing.
I I don't share this sentiment.
I was being facetious with the billboard comment (sort of). I suppose I could reserve further critiques until I see it in person. But every photo/video I’ve seen doesn’t make me hopeful.

James Alucobond

I suppose I could reserve further critiques until I see it in person. But every photo/video I’ve seen doesn’t make me hopeful.
It's worst while coming in and from the World Showcase. With the walls as they are now, it's actually kind of difficult to notice it in the area immediately around it or from anywhere else in Future World, for that matter. Yes, there are angles where you can see it, but it's not intrusive in the same way that it is when you glance back from the Showcase or see it towering beside the parking lot or monorail. I'm not sure if this will still be the case when the walls come down, though.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Streamline how? It’s a 130 foot tall box. Not being snarky, I’m just not sure how to streamline something so large and imposing.

I was being facetious with the billboard comment (sort of). I suppose I could reserve further critiques until I see it in person. But every photo/video I’ve seen doesn’t make me hopeful.

It draws your eye. Just wait until you walk towards WSL…

rreading

I don't know...
Would I want a highly Guardian themed monstrosity looming to the side of Spaceship Earth?
It would become the focal point of that side of the park.
fwiw, I agree with this sentiment. I don’t love it, but it’s effectively in the parking lot. We could complain about SW:GE’s spires on a stick from behind or Pandora from the parking lot or Everest’s open side. Any of those are interesting/compelling as they definitely don’t look right. This thing is big but uninteresting. I do fine thinking “that’s big!”, and moving on to enjoying Epcot.

As it happens, I can complain much easier about the obvious eyesore in the middle of World Showcase

Jones14

If the building had Xandarian architecture it would fit the look of Future World (Discovery) just fine.

The problem is that you don’t get a great look at the gravity building when in front of the attraction, so most of that theming would be ‘wasted’ in the place where it would be most useful.

Perhaps that was their justification for trying to make it “go away”, but the sheer height of the building makes that impossible from a good chunk of the park.

Incomudro

If the building had Xandarian architecture it would fit the look of Future World (Discovery) just fine.

The problem is that you don’t get a great look at the gravity building when in front of the attraction, so most of that theming would be ‘wasted’ in the place where it would be most useful.

Perhaps that was their justification for trying to make it “go away”, but the sheer height of the building makes that impossible from a good chunk of the park.
It could certainly have been themed to fit, then it would be the dominant structure of the park.
The location they had to work with, and it's limitations is fraught with problems.
If it was designed as part of the park from the beginning, they would have hidden it.
But it's shoehorned in.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
It could certainly have been themed to fit, then it would be the dominant structure of the park.
The location they had to work with, and it's limitations is fraught with problems.
If it was designed as part of the park from the beginning, they would have hidden it.
But it's shoehorned in.

Imagine if they hadn’t shoehorned it into the wrong park.

lazyboy97o

But it's shoehorned in.
What limitations? It’s a new build on a site cleared for the project.

lazyboy97o

They didn't have the space to move the building further back, which would have allowed for a berm.
Why couldn’t they move the building back? There’s a whole bunch of land to the north that was cleared.

A berm large enough to obscure a building this size would be a huge expense. Why build a giant mound and still have a mass of trees looming over your buildings when you could do something else like change the massing of the building and/or sink it down?

Last edited:

Incomudro

Why couldn’t they move the building back? There’s a whole bunch of land to the north that was cleared.

A berm large enough to obscure a building this size would be a huge expense. Why build a giant mound and still have a mass of trees looming over your buildings when you could do something else like change the massing of the building and/or sink it down?
Sink it down was what I believe should have been done from the start.
Many poster here have said that couldn't be done due to various reasons.
They built a tub for the World Trade Center, I wish they had done the same for this.

Missing20K

They didn't have the space to move the building further back, which would have allowed for a berm.
When in conceptual phase and they did eyeline studies, someone should have had the courage to say it was unacceptable and something should have changed.

I’m also unsure what a berm would have done for views from WS unless it was 100 feet tall. Not to mention the entry procession on the monorail.

EPCOT-O.G.

What’s everyone’s estimate on completion? I thought it was much farther along than what it looks like from the latest pictures. If I had to venture a guess I’d say TRON by Memorial Day next year, and this maybe spring 2023?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom