News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

TikibirdLand

MrPromey

Disneyland Paris wants a word

Legoland (Florida) uses a design almost just like this in partnership with the local power utility (if signs on the structures are to be believed) for about a quarter of their parking which they sell at a premium both for the shade and for being the closest parking to the front entrance.

The concerns being voiced by others here are greatly exaggerated.

The panels are high enough above the vehicles that you can easily see all the way down the row for finding a car or spotting a mustache twirling villain up to no good and I'd assume that even with solar panels, Diseny would still have security driving around.

People are about as likely to run into these, I'd think, as they are the light poles. I'm sure people do run into the light poles with a degree of frequency that would probably be surprising and there would of course, be more of these but I've never heard of anyone knocking down or damaging a pole anywhere at Disney because the bases are made solid enough that most of that damage is going to be to the vehicle, who's at fault anyway and driving at low speeds.

I'd have to think it would be the same story with the solar panel bases being mostly cement.

And for the comparisons of parking garage troubles, I have to wonder if that person has been to Universal in the last 20+ years. Somehow they've managed to make that work with what at various times, has been what I'd consider to be a rougher crowd than you'd typically find at Disney, especially on horror nights with the level of drinking going on.

That said, if you want to discuss parking garage escalator downtime, we may have room to meet in the middle...

Last edited:

MrPromey

Of course it's not finished and that pic has been around since November of last year too. Hopefully, they pull off something amazing but at 5x the cost of Expedition Everest and 200mil more than Rise I'd expect to see more structure to support theming and animatronics. I guess I look at this and see the disappointment that is Hagrid's.

Keep in mind that this is both a coaster and that they will also be able to control your angle of view as you ride. It may be a case of points of fast moving followed by slowdowns as you pass scenes that your vehicle turns to look at. With this, there could be large areas of darkness or projected stars or whatever and only individual small sets.... Or it could be almost totally screen based. Either way, for what it sounds like it will be, it probably will not be themed end-to-end like a traditional omnimover attraction but I don't think we have to be concerned about getting RnR level of on-ride theming, either.

MrPromey

So you mean I shouldn't complain about something I have incomplete knowledge of? That's not the way the internet works! But on a serious note I was floored hearing that the ride was a 500mil investment and worried that the level of theming we've seen to date has not been RoR level of amazing. Given that I like GotG: Mission Breakout I should be more optimistic. A bigger budget should give us more than what they did there.

You gotta keep in mind that the show building construction and ride vehicle/track system were already completely in place for Mission Breakout, though.

That was a retheme of an existing ride. This is (mostly) all new construction so a bigger budget doesn't necessarily equate to a more elaborate or well designed/themed attraction. That gravity building alone, probably took a decent chunk.

Not trying to squash what little hope you may have but just wanted to remind you that you can't really compare the two on budgets because it's not a clear comparison.

In the same vein but in the opposite direction, this attraction's budget probably also benefits on work that was done for that one. They definitely have the RnD already paid for to make a pretty good Rocket animatronic and I'm sure there are other designs, molds, and creative concepts that were paid for in the development of that one and used or not in the end for that attraction, will be recycled to bring down costs for this one, even if it isn't the same ride.

Last edited:

ppete1975

Legoland (Florida) uses a design almost just like this in partnership with the local power utility (if signs on the structures are to be believed) for about a quarter of their parking which they sell at a premium both for the shade and for being the closest parking to the front entrance.

The concerns being voiced by others here are greatly exaggerated.

The panels are high enough above the vehicles that you can easily see all the way down the row for finding a car or spotting a mustache twirling villain up to no good and I'd assume that even with solar panels, Diseny would still have security driving around.

People are about as likely to run into these, I'd think as they are the light poles. I'm sure people do run into the light poles with a degree of frequency that would probably be surprising and there would of course, be more of these but I've never heard of anyone knocking down or damaging a pole anywhere at Disney because the bases are made solid enough that most of that damage is going to be to the vehicle, who's at fault and driving at low speeds.

I'd have to think it would be the same story with the solar panel bases being mostly cement.

And for the comparisons of parking garage troubles, I have to wonder if that person has been to Universal in the last 20+ years. Somehow they've managed to make that work with what at various times, has been what I'd consider to be a rougher crowd than you'd typically find at Disney, especially on horror nights with the level of drinking going on. 🤷‍♂️
if you are referring to me, continue reading last weeks comments and you will see what i posted about the advances in solar panels, and some of my errors. I still think a better solution though is to put them to the side (as they have been doing) or even on top of the show buildings. Makes it alot easier on maintenance and replacement, and they have the land. Id be fine with solar everywhere on property, as long as they stay away from wind, which is prob not even allowed due to the wildlife. unless they did the small canister styles.

MrPromey

if you are referring to me, continue reading last weeks comments and you will see what i posted about the advances in solar panels, and some of my errors. I still think a better solution though is to put them to the side (as they have been doing) or even on top of the show buildings. Makes it alot easier on maintenance and replacement, and they have the land. Id be fine with solar everywhere on property, as long as they stay away from wind, which is prob not even allowed due to the wildlife. unless they did the small canister styles.

The challenge with doing it to buildings is those are all over the place in different sizes and shapes and each one would need it's own design, it's own added access points, retrofitting, etc.. They'd have to consider sight lines and how much can be added in the needed directions for each location they were going to put them.

Might not be as big a deal for totally backstage areas where they can string things together with less concern over the look but would be problematic for them anywhere near guests if they wanted to maintain theming.

Regardless, the setup and maintenance on them would be much more expensive and a headache with everything spread out and different which I'm guessing is why we don't see more of that than we do out in the real world, today aside from the odd individual house or office building where the owner of that house or building has individually decided to go that route.

Even with various government incentives, it's been a very slow and in no way inevitable, move over most of the US.

The ability to string a whole field of them up is where the efficiency needed to make it worthwhile comes into play for a company like Disney. That they'd also be able to charge an even higher premium (than they do now) for letting people park in the shade closer to the gates where these would probably be put is just the kind of spare change being forced out of people's pockets by the gravity on Mission Space that fills Bob's dreams at night.

As long as they have the trees to plow over, it's cheaper and more efficient to keep adding them to undeveloped land like they have been so that may be as far as it ever goes but the reason you haven't seen Disney adding it to buildings all over is simply because for the kind of power they're looking to generate, that would be more of a novelty than something that can be managed efficiently enough at scale to make it their first or probably even third choice.

In fact, I could see them adding ornamental glass panels to GotG and calling them solar to make us all happy and having them not actually do anything as being more likely than solar panels even coming back to that spot because something like that field you pass by car on the way to the parking lot is way cheaper to build and mantain and generates more power than the roof of that building ever would.

Last edited:

Dan Deesnee

Because expensive props and construction equipment tend to be a bad mix.

If you do the math, a $20,000 space ship prop that is far from the building (in the art at least) would need 3-4 Disney vacations booked to pay for it. Just a total guess but I bet an awesome ship that was visible to people would have gotten at least one family per day to book a future trip expecting it would be done by the time they return. Remember the average Disney guest is probably not going to bother looking at opening dates.

Where is real Bob Chapek? PM me bro.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
If you do the math, a $20,000 space ship prop that is far from the building (in the art at least) would need 3-4 Disney vacations booked to pay for it. Just a total guess but I bet an awesome ship that was visible to people would have gotten at least one family per day to book a future trip expecting it would be done by the time they return. Remember the average Disney guest is probably not going to bother looking at opening dates.

$20k? You currently can't build a 3 car detached garage in Florida for 20k let alone a full-size Starblaster.

A sign will do the same thing and no one cares when the new guy accidentally backs a telehandler into it.

lazyboy97o

You’re not getting a fully engineered, fabricated and properly installed prop spaceship for anything close to $20,000. Nobody should use a contractor dumb enough to risk finished equipment and materials.

Missing20K

On another video (I think it was mousesteps, their approach into EPCoT showed how massive the gravity build is when compared to Spaceship Earth. It literally took attention away from SSE. You couldn't look away.

Sad Beauty And The Beast GIF

Dan Deesnee

I would say an extra 0 would need to go on that - at least.

I actually have a buddy who makes props. I have no idea how much putting something out front of guardians of the Galaxy would cost but I know that he has made some very large, very expensive looking outdoor props for prices that were shockingly inexpensive.

Missing20K

That gravity building alone, probably took a decent chunk.
The gravity building looks the way it does because it’s cheap. If they paid more than $30-40M for that building they got hosed. Pre-engineered buildings (which this appears to be) are ≈ $150/sf. Google Earth says the gravity building is 65k sf. Let’s bump it to 70k for our estimate. Let’s bump the $150/sf up for FL construction costs and some customization by Disney to say $300/sf.

70,000 x $300/sf ≈ $21,000,000

That building might have been the least expensive portion of the entire project from a major construction cost point of view.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
The gravity building looks the way it does because it’s cheap. If they paid more than $30-40M for that building they got hosed. Pre-engineered buildings (which this appears to be) are ≈ $150/sf. Google Earth says the gravity building is 65k sf. Let’s bump it to 70k for our estimate. Let’s bump the $150/sf up for FL construction costs and some customization by Disney to say $300/sf.

70,000 x $300/sf ≈ $21,000,000

That building might have been the least expensive portion of the entire project from a major construction cost point of view.

Well, since WDI is involved, you probably have to increase the cost at least 3-4x. 😉 Blue paint ain’t cheap, ya know.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom