News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

DreamfinderGuy

Disney trivia - From the first sketch Disneyland to its opening was only 23 months.

Ellen energy adventure closed in August of 2017 and there’s a lot of worked to be done before Guardians opens.

A lot of work for off the shelf coaster technology and some screens…
It has 8 months until it's considered the longest turnaround time in the park's history. Current record holder is Horizons simply because it was closed for a year and a half before any actual work started. Already holds the title of longest single period of construction.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

Please forgive my ignorance as I have only had a passing interest in this project but I THOUGHT the building was some giant building you can fit several Spaceship Earth's into, so why is everyone saying this is the ride building when it looks smaller?? Again forgive me if I misunderstood something.

UNCgolf

Please forgive my ignorance as I have only had a passing interest in this project but I THOUGHT the building was some giant building you can fit several Spaceship Earth's into, so why is everyone saying this is the ride building when it looks smaller?? Again forgive me if I misunderstood something.

It's part of the ride building. You'll board the ride in there (I think) and then end up in the much larger building for the actual ride.

ctrlaltdel

The picture that everyone keeps referring to is in the larger building, however, it is only a portion of it (maybe a 1/3rd?). It’s been confirmed that it will be one of the longest indoor coasters in the world and will have significant track length (4000+ feet seems likely).

I’m assuming most of the show scenes will be screen based. How fast it moves through those will be determined. Wouldn’t surprise me if it slowed down significantly at some points. I’m assuming that it will have an incredibly high amount of block zones anyways to ensure capacity is high, like all Disney coasters.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

It's part of the ride building. You'll board the ride in there (I think) and then end up in the much larger building for the actual ride.

The picture that everyone keeps referring to is in the larger building, however, it is only a portion of it (maybe a 1/3rd?). It’s been confirmed that it will be one of the longest indoor coasters in the world and will have significant track length (4000+ feet seems likely).

I’m assuming most of the show scenes will be screen based. How fast it moves through those will be determined. Wouldn’t surprise me if it slowed down significantly at some points. I’m assuming that it will have an incredibly high amount of block zones anyways to ensure capacity is high, like all Disney coasters.
Thank you both.

ctrlaltdel

Please don't use this term if you have no idea what you are talking about. This is a prototype design by Vekoma that had plenty of R&D behind it. It is not "off the shelf".
This.

As an aide, it is hilarious to me that Disney has never changed their preferred coaster vendor all this time. Vekoma never had a super sterling reputation and was in some seriously dark times until recently. They have come back with a vengeance, putting out some top-tier coasters around the world. That’s why I’m confident of the coaster aspects of Cosmic Rewind will be very, very good.

Do any insiders here have a background into the relationship and why it’s been maintained even through their bad times?

Movielover

This.

As an aide, it is hilarious to me that Disney has never changed their preferred coaster vendor all this time. Vekoma never had a super sterling reputation and was in some seriously dark times until recently. They have come back with a vengeance, putting out some top-tier coasters around the world. That’s why I’m confident of the coaster aspects of Cosmic Rewind will be very, very good.

Do any insiders here have a background into the relationship and why it’s been maintained even through their bad times?
Short answer is Vekoma allows Disney to design their own coasters and then Vekoma comes in to fabricate and produce. This is why the Disney designed Vekoma's tend to run smoother than Vekoma's older designs. Originally Disney had hired Arrow to build different rides including the Pirates boat and flume system and most of the Disneyland coasters. Then after Arrow went bankrupt they turned to Vekoma who gave them similar control. I want to say that I read somewhere that Disney approached B&M at one point but they would not allow Disney creative control over the design process, but I may be mistaken.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

Please don't use this term if you have no idea what you are talking about. This is a prototype design by Vekoma that had plenty of R&D behind it. It is not "off the shelf".
Is it really a prototype when another coaster using the technology has opened?

This.

Vekoma puts up with Disney.

Surferboy567

Doing a quick search on the actual coaster classification didn’t yield many results beyond what we already know. It is classified as a “Storytelling” coaster. Every site I have seen has called it a “new type” of spinning coaster. It seems this is a prototype and will be the first implementation of this coaster type in a theme park, I don’t know for sure though. It is also supposed to be the world’s longest enclosed coaster.

EDIT: I am not very knowledgeable on coasters, as I don’t ride them often.

lazyboy97o

Depends which coaster was designed first?
F.L.Y. was designed first but the initial concept also envisioned using the rotation for dark ride moments in a coaster.

Doing a quick search on the actual coaster classification didn’t yield many results beyond what we already know. It is classified as a “Storytelling” coaster. Every site I have seen has called it a “new type” of spinning coaster. It seems this is a prototype and will be the first implementation of this coaster type in a theme park, I don’t know for sure though. It is also supposed to be the world’s longest enclosed coaster.
The spinning is achieved the same way F.L.Y. rotates riders into the flying position.

DisneyDean97

Short answer is Vekoma allows Disney to design their own coasters and then Vekoma comes in to fabricate and produce. This is why the Disney designed Vekoma's tend to run smoother than Vekoma's older designs. Originally Disney had hired Arrow to build different rides including the Pirates boat and flume system and I most of the Disneyland coasters. Then after Arrow went bankrupt they turned to Vekoma who gave them similar control. I want to say that I read somewhere that Disney approached B&M at one point but they would not allow Disney creative control over the design process, but I may be mistaken.
I know B&M made custom supports that Efteling insisted on for the lift on their Baron 1898 coaster, which looks awesome, but I highly doubt we'll ever see a B&M coaster at a Disney park, unfortunately
11722515_10153571129203854_3443789447110034595_o.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom