News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

James Alucobond

Or maybe don't have blind faith in the company that brought us Navi River Journey?
Whether you’re blinded by faith or disdain, the end result will be the same once a project has already gotten off the ground. Personally, I’d prefer to remain hopeful, but I’ll certainly let my displeasure be known if that’s how I feel once it’s finished and I’ve experienced it for myself.

Bairstow

....at 5x the cost of Expedition Everest and 200mil more than Rise I'd expect to see more structure to support theming and animatronics...
Exactly. From the photo's perspective you can see some lower structures supporting what are more than likely an array projection screens, and elsewhere a short projection tunnel. You complete indoor support structures from the tallest to the shortest, so it's highly unlikely that additional structures of any great size would/could be erected above these.

Obviously this photo only shows one angle of the gravity building, but it does suggest that a great deal of the attraction is going to be in unthemed darkness or rely on simple "mirrorball" starfield effects as seen on Space Mountain and Crush.

UNCgolf

Or maybe don't have blind faith in the company that brought us Navi River Journey?

Hey, that's a better ride than Slinky Dog, Smugglers Run, Frozen Ever After, Swirling Saucers, Little Mermaid...

NRJ is too short and lacking in AAs (and thus far from being a masterpiece), but it's lush and detailed (unlike FEA) and doesn't look cheap (like Little Mermaid). I'd rather ride it than any of the ones I mentioned and probably several other rides too -- just not for the regular standby wait time, which is ridiculously high. If they were all walk-ons.

Last edited:

UNCgolf

Just wondering, what about Hagrid’s disappointed you? I thought it was one of the best Universal rides in a long time when it opened.

I haven't been on Hagrid's yet, but I have watched a video -- my guess would be the lack of theming. It does have some but it's mostly just a roller coaster with a handful of AAs. That shouldn't really be surprising for what it is, but I think Revenge of the Mummy is a better themed coaster just at Universal.

They were probably hoping for something with more AAs of magical creatures, perhaps more like a dark ride.

Bairstow

I haven't been on Hagrid's yet, but I have watched a video -- my guess would be the lack of theming. It does have some but it's mostly just a roller coaster with a handful of AAs. That shouldn't really be surprising for what it is, but I think Revenge of the Mummy is a better themed coaster just at Universal.

They were probably hoping for something with more AAs of magical creatures, perhaps more like a dark ride.
The real problem with Gringott's is pacing- it has exactly one really good trick up its sleeve and does it right away. Everything after that is screen-based and unlike Mummy there's no satisfying roller-coaster finale- just more screens.

captainbuzzy

so maybe wait till it's finished before you're disappointed?
So you mean I shouldn't complain about something I have incomplete knowledge of? That's not the way the internet works! But on a serious note I was floored hearing that the ride was a 500mil investment and worried that the level of theming we've seen to date has not been RoR level of amazing. Given that I like GotG: Mission Breakout I should be more optimistic. A bigger budget should give us more than what they did there.

Bairstow

So you mean I shouldn't complain about something I have incomplete knowledge of? That's not the way the internet works! But on a serious note I was floored hearing that the ride was a 500mil investment and worried that the level of theming we've seen to date has not been RoR level of amazing. Given that I like GotG: Mission Breakout I should be more optimistic. A bigger budget should give us more than what they did there.
Hopefully the money went to elaborate show scenes on the ground floor to begin and end the attraction, but my understanding is that the whole point of these Vekoma articulated coaster cars was that they could dynamically turn to face show scenes when they're moving at speed. Doesn't look like there's going to be much to see for much of the ride, which is understandable, given how little time a show scene would be visible to guests, but it's also not a major paradigm shift from previous dark ride/coaster hybrids like Mummy or Mystery Mine.

EeyoreFan#24

So you mean I shouldn't complain about something I have incomplete knowledge of? That's not the way the internet works! But
I haven’t complained yet, but I thought haven ridden space mountain gave you rights to complain since it’s practically the same ride. Also granted rights to complain about tron too.

Relatively little themeing visible here. This is looking more and more like Crush's Coaster

Isn’t there supposed to be some kind of story we’re meant to follow though? Don’t get me wrong you’re absolutely right some theming is still necessary BUT based off the above article I wouldn’t be terribly surprised if there was little theming as per its intended design not to draw attention away from the screens I thought were installed as well to further said story. Or is my brain sleep addled here and I’m just thatching together different things? Idk. I need more caffeine either way.

mergatroid

Exactly. From the photo's perspective you can see some lower structures supporting what are more than likely an array projection screens, and elsewhere a short projection tunnel. You complete indoor support structures from the tallest to the shortest, so it's highly unlikely that additional structures of any great size would/could be erected above these.

Obviously this photo only shows one angle of the gravity building, but it does suggest that a great deal of the attraction is going to be in unthemed darkness or rely on simple "mirrorball" starfield effects as seen on Space Mountain and Crush.
Doesn't the concept art show them travelling through a time portal effect? If so then that would be part of the ride were you'd expect to be just in space entering a 'worm hole' or riding along some 'magical colorful path' in space? That would fit the theming for that section of the attraction surely? You'd imagine when you reach the time you're travelling to, you'd be in another part of the building with more theming for another part of the story.

Incomudro

I'm not expecting a ton of things to look at.
I expect the queue to be very good, possibly with a Rocket aa.
I believe that due to the ride being a relatively quick moving actual coaster that were not going to have much in the way of physical props.
When I think of the Guardians coaster, my mind goes to what they did to ToT in Disneyland.
Fun, fast paced, comedic elements.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom