News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

UNCgolf

But you don’t have to like an E-ticket. It is sorta subjective, but honestly it is scale and immersiveness that matter. I think MFSR has both. Certainly as much as Mission: Space, another E, or just about all of Universal’s Es.

I don‘t particularly love the Tiki Room. In the ‘70s, it was an E. I hate CBJ. It was an E in 1972.

Immersiveness is actually the problem for me. The cockpit itself is immersive, but as soon as the ride kicks in, it feels like I'm just playing a mediocre video game. I don't feel like I'm actually flying/riding in the Millenium Falcon anywhere.

I have that issue with all heavily screen based attractions, both at Disney and Universal. They're always lacking in immersion for me. Flight of Passage is probably the best I've been on, but even it isn't that impressive. I enjoy it, but I don't think it's one of the best rides at WDW.

I think it has something to do with unconscious suspension of disbelief. I have hard time doing that when looking at a screen; it's much easier for me with physical sets/AAs.

EDIT: Regardless of anything else, I think it's pretty clear it was not the success Disney was hoping for. It doesn't seem to garner especially long wait times; when I was last there pre-COVID the waits were significantly shorter than Tower of Terror, Slinky Dog Dash, Toy Story Mania, and Rock N Roller Coaster. I'm sure it's even moreso now that MMRR is open. Having a rotation of 5 or 6 missions instead of just one would probably help a lot.

Last edited:

J4546

if by dragging their feet you mean opening 2 new galaxies edge star wars lands and an Avengers Campus....Then you have everything currently being built....all the epcot renovation with about a dozen awesome things happening, tron at MK, MMRR at DL...and thats just in USA. Take a look at whats happened around the world...DSP getting major work done, new BatB area at Tokyo DL, New 30+ acre expansion at TokyoDisneysea, New castle and New Frozen area at Hong Kong, ZootopiaLand at Shanghai....seems like Disney is building a lot right now lol
I forgot MMRR at DHS as well. So in the last couple years weve gotten 2 Galaxies Edge immersive themed lands with multiple rides, MMRR in DHS and AC in CA. that not too bad lol. Then we have all the stuff coming up in the next year or 2....Im just not seeing why people are complaining disney isnt building enough?

J4546

Immersiveness is actually the problem for me. The cockpit itself is immersive, but as soon as the ride kicks in, it feels like I'm just playing a mediocre video game. I don't feel like I'm actually flying/riding in the Millenium Falcon anywhere.

I have that issue with all heavily screen based attractions, both at Disney and Universal. They're always lacking in immersion for me. Flight of Passage is probably the best I've been on, but even it isn't that impressive. I enjoy it, but I don't think it's one of the best rides at WDW.

I think it has something to do with unconscious suspension of disbelief. I have hard time doing that when looking at a screen; it's much easier for me with physical sets/AAs.

EDIT: Regardless of anything else, I think it's pretty clear it was not the success Disney was hoping for. It doesn't seem to garner especially long wait times; when I was last there pre-COVID the waits were significantly shorter than Tower of Terror, Slinky Dog Dash, Toy Story Mania, and Rock N Roller Coaster. I'm sure it's even moreso now that MMRR is open. Having a rotation of 5 or 6 missions instead of just one would probably help a lot.
yeah, i thought the SR wouldve opened with multiple missions but it didnt. i read they will be adding new mission in 2023 though....but thats still too long imo

doctornick

yeah, i thought the SR wouldve opened with multiple missions but it didnt. i read they will be adding new mission in 2023 though....but thats still too long imo
They should really have multiple missions and randomize. I’m not overly thrilled with screen based attractions but one of their huge benefits is the ability to offer multiple different experiences in the same space. Star Tours does this wonderfully and I don’t understand why it isn’t done in more stuff.

J4546

They should really have multiple missions and randomize. I’m not overly thrilled with screen based attractions but one of their huge benefits is the ability to offer multiple different experiences in the same space. Star Tours does this wonderfully and I don’t understand why it isn’t done in more stuff.
yeah they def dropped the ball on SR with that.

UNCgolf

Although they definitely should do that (as I said), it has to be significantly more difficult in SR than it is in Star Tours.

Instead of just syncing motion with the video, they also have to add in all the user input from the pilot, gunner, and engineer stations as well as actually create the situations where that input is needed/make it have some kind of tangible effect. It's definitely more complicated than just a standard simulator.

Not that they couldn't have designed two or three before it even opened, and they've certainly had enough time to design extras now. It's not an excuse.

Last edited:

Surfin' Tuna

Martin hit the nail on the head with regard to SR and it's possible E ticket status. I would say it does not even equal the sum of it's parts. It has some immersion, although I've never got over walking past the Falcon to then watch it land inside. That being said, it does not have the repeatability that I think an E should have. I would guess I have done it 10-15 times between previews and taking family to ride it. If I never do it again, it will be too soon. It's just really lacking once it gets going. All of the build up is in the getting there. After the jump, it's rather anticlimactic. It's better than Alien Swirling Saucers, though, so that's something.

The Aracuan Bird

I can’t imagine thinking MFSR isn’t an E-ticket. It isn’t a spectacular one, but it has everything an E-ticket needs. If they had a more compelling video game to play, people would love it. Maybe have us actually engage in a star war?
Trying to cram a 4 minute Star Fox style video game that you have to wait in line for is always going to be a hard sell. The most impressive games can already be accessed at home, and they can be played indefinitely rather than in short bursts after queuing up for a few hours.

Yes, there’s set dressing and theming in the small space in which you play the game. But the game is the “main event” as far as the attraction design goes. In order for SR to hit the mark, they’d have to nail all of the creative choices. Relying strictly on gameplay for a ride doesn’t cut it, unless the gameplay is revolutionary.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
All this talk of "This is an E-ticket!" "No! It's a D-ticket!"...Let us not forget that the People Mover, HOP, and CBJ all use to be classified as E-tickets.

wdw-e.jpg

71-eticket.jpg

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
re: SR.

I think making the screen 3D would have helped. The glassless tech is doable. It would have help with the believability. Further immersion could have come from practical effects like fog or scents whenever the ship receives damage. Overall it's a fun attraction but not something I'd beeline to or queue up for on repeat visits. If others feel the same way about repeatability than IMHO Disney kind of failed with this one.

Smugglers Run is a C++ ticket.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Ticket Tier discussion is in this thread starting with a post that lists the tier level of rides from when we had ticket books telling us their tiers. Many of the rides changed their tier level (mostly as crowd control, or, they lost their popularity). See (and discuss on topic ;) here...

tommyhawkins

Been following this thread for a little while without contributing, maybe this will bring you back on subject. This ride has been living in my head rent-free for a while. I built out the buildings to scale mostly cos i wanted to visualise the space, and pieced to gether what I could from the limited photos available. Ive gotta say im several months in and its still super puzzling to me, i wish i had a bit more info few more photos from inside or something, or a proper layout but anyway..

trainplane3

Been following this thread for a little while without contributing, maybe this will bring you back on subject. This ride has been living in my head rent-free for a while. I built out the buildings to scale mostly cos i wanted to visualise the space, and pieced to gether what I could from the limited photos available. Ive gotta say im several months in and its still super puzzling to me, i wish i had a bit more info few more photos from inside or something, or a proper layout but anyway..

The only thing close to a real layout are these sketches @marni1971 doodled up a long time ago:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom