News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

Incomudro

This attraction should use the characters in their animated/comic forms. Same should have been done in Disneyland. With all Marvel characters, with the exception of special events like they did with Maleficent.

I was pleasantly surprised WDW used the comic style for Groot & Rocket on the Skyliner.

Between actor re-casting, reboots, cancel culture, etc....it's much smarter NOT to use the live action cinematic universe for the inspiration. Dave Batista is already done with Drax. What next when they add a new actor? The comic/animated world is ageless. Take universal for example. Had their Spider-Man attraction been film based....yikes.
No, no, nooooo...
It's the movies - and the actors that played those parts, who are responsible for 99% (my number) of the popularity of those characters.
Iron Man/Tony Stark for instance, IS Robert Downey JR.

doctornick

The Guardians didn’t make much of a dent in popular culture until the film. They don’t have the universal appeal that Spider-Man does.

Yeah this. In general I’m behind the idea that it’s bad idea to use live actors for characters like this who have a long history of cartoon representation. But the GOTG are really only popular and know because of the movies so they to me are more the exception. Plus 2 of them are CGI anyway and Gamora and Mantis (and Drax to a lesser extent) are strongly makeuped to make the resemblance to the actors less.

I think they’ll regret using Holland for Spider-Man in the ride in like 10-15 years. At some point there will be a rebooted recast actor in the role and it will look dated. I actually think the cartoon versions in Uni is the way to go. I would have just used Holland’s voice and had Spider-Man masked the entire time (and not shown Peter).

The Aracuan Bird

Yeah this. In general I’m behind the idea that it’s bad idea to use live actors for characters like this who have a long history of cartoon representation. But the GOTG are really only popular and know because of the movies so they to me are more the exception. Plus 2 of them are CGI anyway and Gamora and Mantis (and Drax to a lesser extent) are strongly makeuped to make the resemblance to the actors less.

I think they’ll regret using Holland for Spider-Man in the ride in like 10-15 years. At some point there will be a rebooted recast actor in the role and it will look dated. I actually think the cartoon versions in Uni is the way to go. I would have just used Holland’s voice and had Spider-Man masked the entire time (and not shown Peter).
Holland is an interesting and enjoyable take on the character, but he’s far from the “definitive” take. I understand they wanted to make this an “MCU” Land, but I think they would’ve been smarter to just make it a general Marvel land, with MCU elements were they were best suited (ie. RDJ as Ironman).

I would’ve done a Spider-Man ride with him being voiced by his video game voice actor Yuri Lowenthal. Masked of course. But we’re in an era where we can animate the character and make him look real. The character in the actual ride is already animated anyways!

No Name

Having to maybe refilm a minute or so of preshow video in 10-15 years really shouldn’t be a cause for concern.

RSoxNo1

Using Holland isn't a problem any more than using any other celebrity is a problem. He's a person, people have the potential to make mistakes. Other than that caveat there's no issue there. The issue with the attraction is that the device free shooting component isn't enough to make up for the fact that there is at least one better shooter attraction and definitely a better Spider-Man attraction in the United States.

It looks like a nice addition, but it should settle down to moderate wait times fairly soon.

Last edited:

Prototype82

This attraction should use the characters in their animated/comic forms. Same should have been done in Disneyland. With all Marvel characters, with the exception of special events like they did with Maleficent.

I was pleasantly surprised WDW used the comic style for Groot & Rocket on the Skyliner.

Between actor re-casting, reboots, cancel culture, etc....it's much smarter NOT to use the live action cinematic universe for the inspiration. Dave Batista is already done with Drax. What next when they add a new actor? The comic/animated world is ageless. Take universal for example. Had their Spider-Man attraction been film based....yikes.
I get the sentiment but the whole land added later is MCU based. It wouldn't be cohesive.

Also...Any ray of hope that we'll be getting solar panels afterall?

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Drax will go the way of Steve Rogers, Tony Stark and the rest of the Avengers. Maybe Groot finds a Girloot-friend...

RSoxNo1

James Gunn has stated that he would not re-cast Drax. Either way, by locking this property into the Guardians of the Galaxy, they've concluded that it will be the current makeup of the Guardians that will be featured in the attraction. I don't see what that's a problem.

Having said that, if I also suggested that you can build a Wakanda land without T'Challa, people would also say what's the point? There's no definitive answer to how best to represent an IP. Disney had the original Star Tours exist for decades without any of the prominent characters from the original trilogy, and then they built Indiana Jones Adventure in Disneyland with multiple Harrison Ford animatronics.

Rescue Ranger

James Gunn has stated that he would not re-cast Drax. Either way, by locking this property into the Guardians of the Galaxy, they've concluded that it will be the current makeup of the Guardians that will be featured in the attraction. I don't see what that's a problem.

Having said that, if I also suggested that you can build a Wakanda land without T'Challa, people would also say what's the point? There's no definitive answer to how best to represent an IP. Disney had the original Star Tours exist for decades without any of the prominent characters from the original trilogy, and then they built Indiana Jones Adventure in Disneyland with multiple Harrison Ford animatronics.
Yes I agree. I suppose I was basing my views too strongly on how Spiderman has been handled on the big screen. How quickly a movie based attraction can be outdated when there are alternatives that are ageless. All depends on how its handled. For the record I'm not at all impressed with Avengers Campus compared to the experiences in Florida.

Star Wars and Indiana Jones at least stem from the actors/movies. Those actors ARE the characters. Where as Marvel's origins stem more from comics & animation.

I enjoy both sides being represented. Just like Alice having both a live-action attraction as well an animated within different parks. It just seems with Marvel, it's one way or the other. Personally I prefer the way Universal does it but it would be great to showcase both a cinematic Marvel world in addition to an exaggerated comic/animated world.

FutureCEO

I'm not reading all 744 pages of this thread but does this have a shot of opening by May 2022? Not holding my breath because I just saw 2023 on another site. Probably my last time at Disney unless I move to Orlando.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
I'm not reading all 744 pages of this thread but does this have a shot of opening by May 2022? Not holding my breath because I just saw 2023 on another site. Probably my last time at Disney unless I move to Orlando.
Yes it has a shot. Feel free to use the search feature.

Piebald

Has anything been discussed as to what type of experience this will be? I think Martin mentioned something like Gringotts and either he or someone else mentioned itd be pretty neat. I'm excited to see anything new at this point, but it's crazy to see Disney dragging while it feels like Universal pooped out Hagrids and Velocicoaster in like a couple of years.

J4546

Has anything been discussed as to what type of experience this will be? I think Martin mentioned something like Gringotts and either he or someone else mentioned itd be pretty neat. I'm excited to see anything new at this point, but it's crazy to see Disney dragging while it feels like Universal pooped out Hagrids and Velocicoaster in like a couple of years.
if by dragging their feet you mean opening 2 new galaxies edge star wars lands and an Avengers Campus....Then you have everything currently being built....all the epcot renovation with about a dozen awesome things happening, tron at MK, MMRR at DL...and thats just in USA. Take a look at whats happened around the world...DSP getting major work done, new BatB area at Tokyo DL, New 30+ acre expansion at TokyoDisneysea, New castle and New Frozen area at Hong Kong, ZootopiaLand at Shanghai....seems like Disney is building a lot right now lol

Last edited:

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
if by dragging their feet you mean opening 2 new galaxies edge star wars lands with 2 e-tickets each and an Avengers Campus....Then you have everything currently being built....all the epcot renovation with about a dozen awesome things happening, tron at MK, MMRR at DL...and thats just in USA. Take a look at whats happened around the world...DSP getting major work done, new BatB area at Tokyo DL, New 30+ acre expansion at TokyoDisneysea, New castle and New Frozen area at Hong Kong, ZootopiaLand at Shanghai....seems like Disney is building a lot right now lol
GE does not contain 2 E ticket rides. The rest of what you wrote… I ain’t got the time. 🤦‍♂️

Bocabear

if by dragging their feet you mean opening 2 new galaxies edge star wars lands with 2 e-tickets each and an Avengers Campus....Then you have everything currently being built....all the epcot renovation with about a dozen awesome things happening, tron at MK, MMRR at DL...and thats just in USA. Take a look at whats happened around the world...DSP getting major work done, new BatB area at Tokyo DL, New 30+ acre expansion at TokyoDisneysea, New castle and New Frozen area at Hong Kong, ZootopiaLand at Shanghai....seems like Disney is building a lot right now lol
Wow you must work for the Disney Marketeering department...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom