News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

techgeek

I’m really curious on the process behind how they decide what gets added to each park, and who decides what. For instance, with this ride, everyone blames Chapek. But EPCOT has a Park President, so wouldn’t she also have been deeply involved with the decision and shouldn’t she also share in the blame?

Has there been any significant capital project in WDW history that was championed from the parks VP level? With a few possible exceptions, the execs in those positions largely see them as stepping stones to elsewhere in executive leadership and don’t make waves. It’s just what the position has become.

I consider myself a much more ‘corporate aware’ Disney fan then most, and I honestly couldn’t name the current VPs of all 4 WDW parks without looking them up.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Has there been any significant capital project in WDW history that was championed from the parks VP level? With a few possible exceptions, the execs in those positions largely see them as stepping stones to elsewhere in executive leadership and don’t make waves. It’s just what the position has become.

I consider myself a much more ‘corporate aware’ Disney fan then most, and I honestly couldn’t name the current VPs of all 4 WDW parks without looking them up.
Not sure about WDW, but the park spending/cap ex for DL’s 50th was all Ouimet/Emmer. Not that he had much of a choice, after Pressler, but still... Sadly, beyond that, I can’t think of any but it’s late and I’m tired and there’s 50 years of history and projects to dissect.

t3techcom18

She's a very nice person who pulls off a good image of caring about the park at the bare minimum. I don't think it's very fair to pin much blame on her considering all the final decisions are made by people in positions above her.

As Martin said, she's not to blame for the very big decisions, but is she a nice person? Yeahhhh no. I can't say whether she truly cares about the park or not, but she pulls off the image.

rreading

Absolutely no blame should go to her.
So who would be making these decisions? President of WDW? Chairman of the Parks? CEO of the company?

I would expect that ideas are created at the imagineering level and then passed up. Perhaps the VP of Epcot is there to manage ops rather than blue sky planning, but someone has to be thinking about the park itself.

rreading

Is there a division of imagineering which is blue sky about what direction the parks should go then?

I would have to imagine that way back, there was an analysis that something needed to be done with WoM and Horizons. That there must have been poor guest feedback that reported they needed to be updating or changing the attractions. Someone analyzed the situation and decided that they really weren't amenable to updating so they would have to expand the park or replace the attractions. I would definitely have preferred TT to be in addition to WoM.

So do we blame Eisner for the demise of WoM and Horizons or the president of WDW?

UNCgolf

Is there a division of imagineering which is blue sky about what direction the parks should go then?

I would have to imagine that way back, there was an analysis that something needed to be done with WoM and Horizons. That there must have been poor guest feedback that reported they needed to be updating or changing the attractions. Someone analyzed the situation and decided that they really weren't amenable to updating so they would have to expand the park or replace the attractions. I would definitely have preferred TT to be in addition to WoM.

So do we blame Eisner for the demise of WoM and Horizons or the president of WDW?

I'm pretty sure both WoM and Horizons weren't related to guest feedback or anything like that -- they were both mainly due to the corporate sponsors. They were the ones paying for the rides, and they wanted something new/different.

Obviously someone like @marni1971 knows far more than I ever will, but I'm relatively confident that's the case.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Back in the day it seemed Eisner held the leash for the final say - or even making suggestions - with WDI either making it possible if it was possible, and also showcasing their latest to him hoping for approval.

Now though the current spine project for example was pitched to Iger level as a competition, with each radically different pitch hoping their deign would win.

Last edited:

DreamfinderGuy

As Martin said, she's not to blame for the very big decisions, but is she a nice person? Yeahhhh no. I can't say whether she truly cares about the park or not, but she pulls off the image.
I believe she cares about the park. Whether that's genuine or just a very good image is your own debate to go over, but I truly believe she does. From my personal experiences with her I can say she's been very kind to me, so that's where a majority of my opinion on her comes from.

doctornick

I believe she cares about the park. Whether that's genuine or just a very good image is your own debate to go over, but I truly believe she does. From my personal experiences with her I can say she's been very kind to me, so that's where a majority of my opinion on her comes from.

It's also worth noting that she could care deeply about the park but have different opinions than Epcot purists (for lack of a better term) about the what the park should be. Not that I have any idea about her feelings on the matter.

rreading

I'm pretty sure both WoM and Horizons weren't related to guest feedback or anything like that -- they were both mainly due to the corporate sponsors. They were the ones paying for the rides, and they wanted something new/different.

Obviously someone like @marni1971 knows far more than I ever will, but I'm relatively confident that's the case.

Crazy. I can't imagine that they saved any money by tearing down WoM. I can understand the sponsors wanting something new, but addition by subtraction makes so little sense. Were they needing money to modernize WoM, then maybe I would understand, but...

NateD1226

Ride vehicles being transported to Epcot. Pictures are from the other site

BA74411C-B293-4FC3-9C99-DE8B1AADF9CB.jpeg
FBD68C22-64ED-4978-BF22-089E6BF513E0.jpeg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom