News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member

I have a feeling you would like what used to be my office.

20191118_194549.jpg
20191118_194608.jpg
20191118_194646.jpg

trainplane3

I have a feeling you would like what used to be my office.

View attachment 454312View attachment 454313View attachment 454314
I just picked up the P-body Figuarts for like $30 off the site two months ago.

Remember when Valve used to make games? Okay, we have HL:A inbound but it's been 9 years since they made something truly imaginative and worthwhile. It'd be nice to see some more stuff come out of them that isn't CS:GO updates and the occasional bump TF2 and DOTA get.

Gabe was pretty nice tough. I'm not sure if he still responds to emails. In 2010 I got 20 packs of TF2 trading cards and other things before they started selling them just because I asked where to buy them at. Then I got him to sign my Orange Box and Gordon Freeman action figure in 2013.

gerarar

Premium Member
Surprised no one linked this yet; anyways, BlogMickey got some great pictures of the interior where the queue will be.

You can start to see the circular structure on the ceiling in the concept art, taking shape by the steel skeleton in the construction photos. As well the raised platforms and ramps that will encircle the centerpiece of this room:
6D1DA53F-059F-43BB-A2D5-D7CDFB67FAAC.jpeg

F6443BC8-D7AE-46FB-BEA2-7D21C77DEC3A.jpeg

C74FC636-41B7-4628-9228-F0D79DF784DD.jpeg

Source:

RobWDW1971

Creeping close to panel time?

Personally, I find the solar panels just insulting.

"Hey look, we're putting up solar panels just like the Universe of Energy had!!!! See, we get it!!! Even though that ride was about sources of power and this is about comic book characters and a roller coaster, it fits into Epcot because...um...see solar panels!!!"

So pandering.

Last edited:

rle4lunch

Personally, I find the solar panels just insulting. "Hey look, we're putting up solar panels just like the Universe of Energy had!!!! See, we get it!!! Even though that ride was about sources of power and this is about comic book characters and a roller coaster, it fits into Epcot because...um...see solar panels!!!" So pandering.

It's stupid because Disney generates its own power anyway.

Marc Davis Fan

The more pictures I see from various angles, I am starting to come to the conclusion that NOT theming the BBB was the right decision (and may have been more of a conscious decision and not simply cost cutting).

Once the decision was made to build this ride in this location, there is no theming that could have been incorporated into the building that would not have distracted from SSE. If you put Tower of Terror next to SSE, it would draw the eye away and compete for attention. A space age / futuristic looking building would do the same thing. Why compete with the park icon. You can't hide a building that big with trees.

So, the best way to hide a large building is to put it out in the open. Driving to WDW or though any large city, we see warehouses and large industrial buildings all of the time. Power plants, water towers, utility poles, and other infrastructure. We have been conditioned to no longer notice these items.

When arriving at the park, the BBB sits off to the side. Most people will not realize it is part of EPCOT and their minds will dismiss it. Once you come into view of SEE, that is what will draw your attention. This large shinny golf ball, THAT is EPCOT. While you will be able to see the building from within the park, it will appear as if it is an industrial warehouse outside of the park. For most people, our minds will ignore it because that is what we are conditioned to do. The more that is done to disguise the building, the more it will stand out.

I think we all agree that it would have been better to build a ride that would not create a visual intrusion. But now that it is there, not hiding it might end up being the best (least objectionable) decision.

I think you're right that the current route is better than theming the gravity building and thus bringing more attention to it.

However, if they had made the launch tunnel longer (e.g., a pre-launch slow portion that travels partway to the gravity building, like on The Mummy), they could have put the Big Blue Box farther away, which would have made it even less intrusive.

And if they were willing to spend the money, they could have constructed a forested berm in between the park and the gravity building, so that it's more obscured by trees (even if not completely, that would go a long way toward making your eyes pass over it).

No Name

No casual visitor I have visited the parks with has ever pointed out a visible show building to me, except one time, the back side of Everest from the top of Blizzard Beach, and one time, the RnRC building.

The Big Blue Box is very very visible from so many places. And about a dozen people have asked me about it, and not in a good way. It’s very visible from the Riviera, the Skyliner, the monorail, many places throughout the park, etc. It’s unbelievable. The Tron building hurts a few previously great sight lines but the GotG building is particularly bad. It is arguably the most obtrusive structure ever built at a theme park.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom