News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Here's the 'exploitable' for one's own graffiti..

1579116555322.png

sedati

Ok, So I've just stitching @marni1971's purposely vague sketches together. And I think I've worked out that the reverse launch, or the "fake-out" where the vehicles turn, happens inside the Energy building instead of in the launch tunnel.
View attachment 441376
I don't see why there would be any kind of "Fake Out." My understanding is we're going to witness the big bang as we did with Ellen. So the vehicles will roll out and face the oncoming explosion. The bang will blow us backwards so there's no need for any turns at first.

The launch is definitely along the straightaway as the inclined tracks are just that- tracks with no hardware underneath. The launch will get us up to speed to make it to the top of the gravity building which is where the omni-part of this unique coaster will probably kick in.

Also, as I'd responded to your post a few months ago, I think the picture of the inclined ramp inside the old Energy building is to bring the vehicles into the newly constructed maintenance bay and not part of the show at all.

sedati

Then again...
The launch is a level higher than return. We saw the track in the tunnel showed a declined approach for the return. So the train has to go up a level for launch. After load it could turn and then branch with a spur into maintenance before the inclined track seen at the back. This would loop around to the launch portion with the maintenance spur connecting back from below.
I'll pull up some old pics later.

October82

I don't see why there would be any kind of "Fake Out." My understanding is we're going to witness the big bang as we did with Ellen. So the vehicles will roll out and face the oncoming explosion. The bang will blow us backwards so there's no need for any turns at first.

As a scientist and educator, what bothers me about this nod towards edutainment is that it reinforces the basic misconception about the Big Bang that it was in some sense "an explosion". It wasn't, and it didn't blow things outward. So, I'm sure it will be a fun moment and artistic license is always allowed, but it is IMHO a very poor attempt to provide some tie in to edutainment and the EPCOT Center of old.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
As a scientist and educator, what bothers me about this nod towards edutainment is that it reinforces the basic misconception about the Big Bang that it was in some sense "an explosion". It wasn't, and it didn't blow things outward. So, I'm sure it will be a fun moment and artistic license is always allowed, but it is IMHO a very poor attempt to provide some tie in to edutainment and the EPCOT Center of old.

We could always add dinosaurs to the Big Bang because they're cool.

Magic Feather

Ok, So I've just stitching @marni1971's purposely vague sketches together. And I think I've worked out that the reverse launch, or the "fake-out" where the vehicles turn, happens inside the Energy building instead of in the launch tunnel. The issue I have is where the gravity building, as I've broken down the track in 3 parts, however I've marked in blue, the sections which don't seemingly connect to other parts??? Obviously, the track is 3-dimensional and so there is only so much a 2d representation can illustrate. But I'm wondering wha everyone could be thinking?

View attachment 441376
Eh... there's a few issues with this. You're not wrong in that the launch happens in the Energy building, but that would be like saying that the RnRc Launch happens in the queue building. The interior layout for the Energy building is a little wonky, but I think that is just the result of you misinterpreting Martin's sketch. Then again, if there wasn't meant to be room for misinterpretation (as was also done in the gravity building), he would have made the drawing clearer.

IveBeenJack

Eh... there's a few issues with this. You're not wrong in that the launch happens in the Energy building, but that would be like saying that the RnRc Launch happens in the queue building. The interior layout for the Energy building is a little wonky, but I think that is just the result of you misinterpreting Martin's sketch. Then again, if there wasn't meant to be room for misinterpretation (as was also done in the gravity building), he would have made the drawing clearer.

any chance you can describe the areas more specifically that are a little wonky?

sedati

Time travel is already an aspect seeing as we're going to the big bang. Few attractions occur in real time. Certainly perspective could be given:
"Here we are all the way back at the Planck epoch. Now hang on, we're about to experience the next fourteen billion years of cosmic inflation in about ten seconds!"

October82

Time travel is already an aspect seeing as we're going to the big bang. Few attractions occur in real time. Certainly perspective could be given:
"Here we are all the way back at the Planck epoch. Now hang on, we're about to experience the next fourteen billion years of cosmic inflation in about ten seconds!"

I definitely think the premise is cool and has a lot of potential. Time travel + the beginning of the universe throwing you into a high speed launch is going to be a very cool moment. And cool moments can be used to educate about more important things, hence edutainment.

That just doesn't seem to be what's going on here. Neither the Big Bang/inflation works this way (expansion rather than explosion). I'm probably the only one who knows or cares about this sort of subtle scientific incorrectness, but it's just another reminder of the big gap between EPCOT Center's ideals and those of Epcot 3.0.

sedati

I definitely think the premise is cool and has a lot of potential. Time travel + the beginning of the universe throwing you into a high speed launch is going to be a very cool moment. And cool moments can be used to educate about more important things, hence edutainment.

That just doesn't seem to be what's going on here. Neither the Big Bang/inflation works this way (expansion rather than explosion). I'm probably the only one who knows or cares about this sort of subtle scientific incorrectness, but it's just another reminder of the big gap between EPCOT Center's ideals and those of Epcot 3.0.
Well, we'll see what it ends up being. I think the real difference between Epcot then and now is "show and tell" vs. "see for yourself". Both are valid experiences.

sedati

Just for reference, here's how Bill Nye put what we'd experience previously into perspective:
"See that single point of very hot, very dense matter? It contains all the energy of the universe. And it’s about to expand at an astonishing rate!"
"Now, what you’re about to witness took place over billions of years."

Last edited:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member

You are not alone.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
I don't think that after scientists have accepted the term "Big Bang" that they can start getting nitpicky over 'explosion' versus 'expansion'.

Not to mention you have the "period of expansion" happened in an incredibly short period of time at an incredibly short period after 'the big bang' (and not over the whole history of the universe) versus just general expansion currently happening an a much reduced rate.

If we wanted to get nitpicky...

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I don't think that after scientists have accepted the term "Big Bang" that they can start getting nitpicky over 'explosion' versus 'expansion'.

Not to mention you have the "period of expansion" happened in an incredibly short period of time at an incredibly short period after 'the big bang' (and not over the whole history of the universe) versus just general expansion currently happening an a much reduced rate.

If we wanted to get nitpicky...
As I understand it, most "scientists" did not agree with the term. The name actually originated from a critic of the theory who used the term "big bang" as a slur. Once that name was out there it stuck.

A similar thing happened with the Higgs/Boson particle or "god particle".

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom