News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Well I’d say from their perspective the strategy is working. SDL is a success. SWL is amazing. TSL and Pandora are successes. I don’t agree with GotG in Epcot, but to them it makes sense. I wish they updated Energy, unlike many here, I actually rode Energy at least once a month. But, it makes sense why they’re putting Guardians in (not from a thematic perspective but a business one).
They could build a woodie coaster through the hub, it would get hour waits and be determined to be a success.

lazyboy97o

Well I’d say from their perspective the strategy is working. SDL is a success. SWL is amazing. TSL and Pandora are successes. I don’t agree with GotG in Epcot, but to them it makes sense. I wish they updated Energy, unlike many here, I actually rode Energy at least once a month. But, it makes sense why they’re putting Guardians in (not from a thematic perspective but a business one).
Expedition Everest was a better investment than all of the opened Walt Disney World franchise projects. If it was just doing what is good business then there would have at least been an attempt to replicate that success.

Epcot_Imagineer

Expedition Everest was a better investment than all of the opened Walt Disney World franchise projects.
Question: is EE the last great original attraction that WDI has created? I'm not coming down on great original attractions in the international parks, or great IP driven attractions, I'm asking this in terms of storytelling, marketing, and budget. An ungodly amount was spent on it (at the time... nothing compared to what they're spending on SW:GE), a TV show documenting the creation of the ride was made, there was an online game made for marketing it, and a completely original character/story was created for the attraction.

Is there anything I'm missing that is an original ride with this sort of backing behind it?

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Question: is EE the last great original attraction that WDI has created? I'm not coming down on great original attractions in the international parks, or great IP driven attractions, I'm asking this in terms of storytelling, marketing, and budget. An ungodly amount was spent on it (at the time... nothing compared to what they're spending on SW:GE), a TV show documenting the creation of the ride was made, there was an online game made for marketing it, and a completely original character/story was created for the attraction.

Is there anything I'm missing that is an original ride with this sort of backing behind it?

Mystic Manor

Spash007

I may get flak for this, but I don't hate the idea of the Guardians as a franchise in Epcot. Yes, I prefer non-IP and originality, but characters of any kind can be used to fulfill Epcot's mission - just as Figment did (or could even argue Ellen as a "character"). My issue comes more to the execution of a roller coaster that seems to be for pure entertainment purposes. Could they use the pre-show rooms to showcase space travel, even how energy plays a role in different travel both on Earth and how it would be different in Space, and then utilize the spinning cars to display aspects of space in a pretty cool way - sure. Even highlight the fake technologies of the movies, and bring it back to Earth and how they "could" work. However, all of these hopes of mine died when Disney announced it fits in Epcot due to Quill visiting when he was younger.... It's going to be a roller coaster, showcasing the IP, and seemingly nothing more.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
I may get flak for this, but I don't hate the idea of the Guardians as a franchise in Epcot. Yes, I prefer non-IP and originality, but characters of any kind can be used to fulfill Epcot's mission - just as Figment did (or could even argue Ellen as a "character"). My issue comes more to the execution of a roller coaster that seems to be for pure entertainment purposes. Could they use the pre-show rooms to showcase space travel, even how energy plays a role in different travel both on Earth and how it would be different in Space, and then utilize the spinning cars to display aspects of space in a pretty cool way - sure. Even highlight the fake technologies of the movies, and bring it back to Earth and how they "could" work. However, all of these hopes of mine died when Disney announced it fits in Epcot due to Quill visiting when he was younger.... It's going to be a roller coaster, showcasing the IP, and seemingly nothing more.

Because edutainment has fallen on its collective rump in the physical world.

RSoxNo1

The point is synergy has been the company's game plan for a while.
I wrote this article 4 years ago, and it remains evergreen.

EricsBiscuit

Well the thing is most of the attractions are not book reports. In fact, most of the old Disney IP attractions were the book reports. The new ones take the IP and go on a new adventure.

montyz81

I agree. That applies more now than ever. I think we are past the point of aborting a take off though. The trend is well into the air with a trip planned non stop from New York to Sydney. Unfortunately, for us older folks that remember the quality, we can’t stop it for the new generation that expects instant gratification.

rle4lunch

Well the thing is most of the attractions are not book reports. In fact, most of the old Disney IP attractions were the book reports. The new ones take the IP and go on a new adventure.

I dunno man... Little Mermaid is pretty much the cartoon, beat for truncated beat. FEA, pretty much beat for beat... I'll give 7DMT coaster a pass since it's, well, a coaster. Lightning McQueen's Racing Academy is an attraction (in the technical sense), and it sorta goes on a new adventure, but it's kind of a stretch to say it's a repeatable thing to see. My 4 year old son was pretty meh afterward.

Trying to think of anything else they've built down there in the last decade, but I'm coming up woefully short.

RSoxNo1

Historically Fantasyland attractions are book reports, new and old. I am very much in favor of things that continue or evolve the story rather than retell it. Frozen Ever After for example is a solid enough C-ticket boat ride that would be great in Fantasyland. The objection I have with it is 100% location based.

But bringing this back to the original point - recreating a movie environment can be spectacular, but ultimately it's less impressive to me than building a new concept that's inspired by the land. The former prays on familiarity to illicit emotion, the latter needs to exist on it's own. The degree of difficult is higher but I think the payoff is often better.

Timothy_Q

It seems WDAS IPs usually get the book report treatment, while non-Disney stuff gets original storylines

Book Report: (even if truncated / too short)
Alice in Wonderland
Snow White
Peter Pan
Pinocchio
Mermaid
Frozen (set after the movie, but still works as book report)
Monsters (dca)

Original Storyline:
Toy Story Mania
Buzz
Flight of Passage
Navi River
Smuggler's Run
Mission Breakout
IJA

Mix of Both:
Mr Toad
Radiator Springs Racers
7DMT

RSoxNo1

It seems WDAS IPs usually get the book report treatment, while non-Disney stuff gets original storylines

Book Report: (even if truncated / too short)
Alice in Wonderland
Snow White
Peter Pan
Pinocchio
Mermaid
Frozen (set after the movie, but still works as book report)
Monsters (dca)

Original Storyline:
Toy Story Mania
Buzz
Flight of Passage
Navi River
Smuggler's Run
Mission Breakout
IJA

Mix of Both:
Mr Toad
Radiator Springs Racers
7DMT
Meanwhile the book report discussion stemmed from one line in a larger article discussing the flaws with focusing solely on IP based rides. We're focusing on the wrong thing.

EricsBiscuit

I dunno man... Little Mermaid is pretty much the cartoon, beat for truncated beat. FEA, pretty much beat for beat... I'll give 7DMT coaster a pass since it's, well, a coaster. Lightning McQueen's Racing Academy is an attraction (in the technical sense), and it sorta goes on a new adventure, but it's kind of a stretch to say it's a repeatable thing to see. My 4 year old son was pretty meh afterward.

Trying to think of anything else they've built down there in the last decade, but I'm coming up woefully short.
FEA is not a book report at all. TLM is in Fantasyland but it is also the exception.
Historically Fantasyland attractions are book reports, new and old. I am very much in favor of things that continue or evolve the story rather than retell it. Frozen Ever After for example is a solid enough C-ticket boat ride that would be great in Fantasyland. The objection I have with it is 100% location based.

But bringing this back to the original point - recreating a movie environment can be spectacular, but ultimately it's less impressive to me than building a new concept that's inspired by the land. The former prays on familiarity to illicit emotion, the latter needs to exist on it's own. The degree of difficult is higher but I think the payoff is often better.
Neither SWL nor Pandora are places recreated from the movie. GotG doesn’t look like a book report either. These new IP attractions take the IP and world they’re in and expand them. In the end, all that really matters is that it’s a good attraction. And, Disney hasn’t built a real dud in a while at least here in the US.

rle4lunch

FEA is not a book report at all. TLM is in Fantasyland but it is also the exception.

Neither SWL nor Pandora are places recreated from the movie. GotG doesn’t look like a book report either. These new IP attractions take the IP and world they’re in and expand them. In the end, all that really matters is that it’s a good attraction. And, Disney hasn’t built a real dud in a while at least here in the US.

FEA seems to be loosely telling the same story. There's no twists or newness to it, it's all the same characters. to me...
Agree on SWL and Pandora. Don't know what to expect from Guardians, but I think it'll be the rider going on a ride along during one of their missions (duh, lol). I'm guessing familiar faces will pop up on it.

EricsBiscuit

FEA seems to be loosing telling the same story. There's no twists or newness to it, it's all the same characters. to me...
Agree on SWL and Pandora. Don't know what to expect from Guardians, but I think it'll be the rider going on a ride along during one of their missions (duh, lol). I'm guessing familiar faces will pop up on it.
True but the point is it’s not a book report. They’re taking a concept and exploring it in a new direction.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom