News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Yes.

Es are wonderful. In the right place. With the right theme.

Exactly. And current management has no clue about either the right place or the right theme.

Rip-and-replace (yes, I know not all of the current projects are replacing things that they closed) isn't a growth strategy. So yes, they are building, undoubtedly. But we won't get into the discussion that exactly one new E ticket was built from 2006 to 2017...

I wonder why they released concept art and announced the spine redo last year if they weren't confident that they were going with what was presented at D23. Perhaps they realized that guest satisfaction would tank if Future World was a warzone during construction, and decided it would be best to look at options that wouldn't involve the mess that comes with tearing down Communicore?

Because that's what today's management does. Release concept art. Generate buzz to get people thru the turnstiles... err... tapsiles, and spending money. Mission accomplished. Whether or not they actually follow through on all of what they announce (eg. guest satisfaction/guest experience) is tertiary to increasing per-guest spending and profit margins.

DreamfinderGuy

So there are versions of the spine redo that keep the Communicore buildings ?
I’m not Martin, but from what i’ve heard, at least East is going down next year. I could be entirely wrong because I know there are plans that keep the buildings, but it’s just what i’ve heard. Timeline is looking at sometime early next year if i’ve been hearing correctly.

Edit- It would also go along well with the fact that Ralph is moving from Innoventions to JII soon, and that SpectacuLab’s contract (which expired last month) has supposedly been extended to February. It all seems to add up for me.

Last edited:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I'm curious about the reasoning for expansion.

Considering current Disney can't even fill the current space, what would they use the expanded buildings for?
Indoor expo-themed theatre space. This was part of the version I was personally happy with but doubt they’ll go with it sadly. I’ll go into this version more once I’m sure it’s not happening.

mikejs78

Premium Member
Here's hoping someone will point out that demolishing buildings in the middle of the park will be expensive and have next to no real payoff in terms of satisfaction. If there's ever a time to save money for something else, that's it.
Seriously. I get the complaints of the spine being a concrete jungle, but it doesn't have to be that way. Just look at pictures of the spine from 1982. Lots of greenary in the midst of the Epcot architecture. It only became a concrete jungle in the 90s.

CJR

Seriously. I get the complaints of the spine being a concrete jungle, but it doesn't have to be that way. Just look at pictures of the spine from 1982. Lots of greenary in the midst of the Epcot architecture. It only became a concrete jungle in the 90s.

Agree 100%. It used to be very beautiful with trees and water features. Nothing that couldn't be made possible again, IMO. That's really what they should do.

In terms of concrete jungle, I kind of see it as Epcot's version of Main Street USA, which I never hear the term "concrete jungle" mentioned. It's most likely because one's used more effectively than the other, and that is the real issue. They just need to effectively use the buildings so that they're a walkway into Epcot as much as Main Street USA is into MK (better yet, Disneyland), Buena Vista Street into DCA, and Hollywood Blvd is into DHS. Epcot's really the one that could and should be the most fun. So much potential. Some trees and reworked facades would do wonders to the look of the area, and probably cost a fraction of mass demolition in the park's center.

trainplane3

This x10000!
DY1WOxZUMAAi3lz.jpg

DDxvVkdXUAQYSwW.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom