News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

T.Will

Literally. Its an off-the-shelf coaster they put in a box and added cutouts
I think it was a custom layout made for Disney. Mainly because there's only one other version of this ride (as far as I know) and it came after RNRC. I think an off-the-shelf model would constitute something like an Arrow Corkscrew, which was all over the place.

Last edited:

Bairstow

I think it was a custom layout made for Disney. Mainly because there's only one other version of this ride (as far as I know) and it came after RNRC. I think an off-the-shelf model would constitute something like an Arrow Corkscrew, which was all over the place.

It wasn't just that particular layout- Rock-n was the first LSM coaster Vekoma ever built, so I would imagine that after the success of the Paris Space Mountain, they shopped the hardware to Disney first but retained rights to the technology and layout as part of their agreement.

lazyboy97o

It wasn't just that particular layout- Rock-n was the first LSM coaster Vekoma ever built, so I would imagine that after the success of the Paris Space Mountain, they shopped the hardware to Disney first but retained rights to the technology and layout as part of their agreement.
Exclusivity of track layout is something purchased. That Disney opted not to purchase exclusivity suggests they likely had little involvement in its design. Somebody is always first to buy an "off the shelf" design.

Bairstow

Exclusivity of track layout is something purchased. That Disney opted not to purchase exclusivity suggests they likely had little involvement in its design. Somebody is always first to buy an "off the shelf" design.
We don't know to what extent WDI was or was not involved with the design, but even assuming they were not, that doesn't mean that the layout wasn't designed with MGM Studios in mind and presented to Disney first. The "off the shelf" expression implies that the item being sold is 1.) already available for purchase and 2) offered to anyone. Given Vekoma's long history of debuting new ride concepts with Disney, that doesn't seem to be what happened.

lazyboy97o

We don't know to what extent WDI was or was not involved with the design, but even assuming they were not, that doesn't mean that the layout wasn't designed with MGM Studios in mind and presented to Disney first. The "off the shelf" expression implies that the item being sold is 1.) already available for purchase and 2) offered to anyone. Given Vekoma's long history of debuting new ride concepts with Disney, that doesn't seem to be what happened.
Superman The Ride opened less than a year after Rock 'n' Rollercoaster. That means Premier Parks bought it while Rock 'n' Rollercoaster was still under construction. It is a lot of ifs for Disney to commission a layout, not involve themselves and not retain ownership of the design even if just for a limited period of time.

OG Runner

I don’t understand why this would take so long, other than artifical delays or pure laziness on Disney’s part. They could easily have the Gravity Building, Track, and structural overhaul of UoE done by this time next year. Then give about six months for T&A, prop installation, etc. No reason why this shouldn’t be a Summer 2020 opening

I agree with you. It seems like they are just trying to space out the openings of the new rides, along with timing them with the
upcoming celebrations.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member

Premiere Rides opened Flight of Fear in 1996 at Kings Island and Kings Dominion, essentially a "ball of track at the end of a LIM launch." Disney bought a Vekoma clone, which we know today as RnRC.

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
You Cant See Me.jpg
Guard 2.jpg

tparris

I don’t understand why this would take so long, other than artifical delays or pure laziness on Disney’s part. They could easily have the Gravity Building, Track, and structural overhaul of UoE done by this time next year. Then give about six months for T&A, prop installation, etc. No reason why this shouldn’t be a Summer 2020 opening
Yeah, UoE has been sitting there completely empty for quite some time now. It seems like they could have been much further along with that by now. Although maybe that situation with the support beam caused delays. Also, is it just me or does it seem like they haven’t installed any more exterior panels on the gravity building since like a week and a half ago? Like they just stopped halfway through.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Yeah, UoE has been sitting there completely empty for quite some time now. It seems like they could have been much further along with that by now. Although maybe that situation with the support beam caused delays. Also, is it just me or does it seem like they haven’t installed any more exterior panels on the gravity building since like a week and a half ago? Like they just stopped halfway through.
Maybe they have to wait for 1Q of 2019 to continue funding...

Rich Brownn

The custom was lopping off about 300 feet of track. Otherwise the layout is the same. I dunno about Paris, but I know theres an outdoor version of DHS in Europe. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xpress:_Platform_13. I remember someone stating both were ordered at the same time, and the layout had been advertised by Vekoma before RnR was built.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom