News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

Lensman

Giant redwoods from California perhaps? You know the ones that go up 9 stories.
9 stories? Oh, you mean the average ones... :)

It's true that the coast redwoods only grow to about 120 feet, but the the tallest on record is 379 feet!

Will they grow in the swampy land of central Florida though? Plus they only grow a foot or two a year so the gravity building may be demolished before it's obscured. Assuming the soil and conditions are right they would last a while, though - typically 500-800 years, but possibly over 2,000.

Note that if we had the time and were lucky with growth, we could even obscure the Swan (159 feet) and Dolphin (244 feet) with redwoods.

crxbrett

9 stories? Oh, you mean the average ones... :)

It's true that the coast redwoods only grow to about 120 feet, but the the tallest on record is 379 feet!

Will they grow in the swampy land of central Florida though? Plus they only grow a foot or two a year so the gravity building may be demolished before it's obscured. Assuming the soil and conditions are right they would last a while, though - typically 500-800 years, but possibly over 2,000.

Note that if we had the time and were lucky with growth, we could even obscure the Swan (159 feet) and Dolphin (244 feet) with redwoods.

I don't think Redwoods would survive in the Florida heat. They would love the rain and humidity, but they really only thrive in about 50-80 degree weather. Also, the ph in Florida's soil is probably not suitable for a Redwood.

Could Disney actually 'plant' a few fake palms? Cell phone towers use this trick, Disney could probably do a darn good job of something similar too.

Biff215

Dare I say that it really doesn't look that bad?
Certainly a matter of opinion. The pic I posted was from Morocco and is probably the furthest away you can get while in the park, so it naturally appears a bit smaller from there. It’s far more dominant the closer you get to it, but then it’s also obscured more by the buildings in front of your view. I really wish I would have taken pics from all those different vantage points, although most can be found here they’re just scattered.

I think it’s going to really depend upon how they ultimately theme the building. Right now, it’s the shape that makes it so imposing. If they can somehow make it less boxy I think it would blend better. Personally I think that’s what helps Soarin’ hide some.

Either way we’ll eventually get used to the new skyline. The way Disney is building hotel towers lately we should probably get used to more visual intrusions in the parks. Is what it is at this point.

rle4lunch

MASSIVE LED SCREENZ that show the surrounding cloud cover

Maybe a big holographic grandmaster can appear on the outside of it. You know, cross pollination and all from the other franchises. Although, due to IP restrictions, he could be call the goodleader and have a different color paint scheme on his face.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Maybe a big holographic grandmaster can appear on the outside of it. You know, cross pollination and all from the other franchises. Although, due to IP restrictions, he could be call the goodleader and have a different color paint scheme on his face.

He might actually be ok to use...and maybe Taika Waititi will direct GOTG3

peter11435

1538501367644.jpeg

tparris

What the hell the concept art has solar panels in it!
The one we saw was one of many proposed designs. There are several unreleased renditions that have different features. Some of them have the panels, some don't. Heck, one of the designs includes the removal of the building's "ribs". We'll have to wait and see what Disney decides to go with for the rest of the project.

trainplane3

What the hell the concept art has solar panels in it!
Cool your jets. Just because there were panels in the concept doesn't mean they're the same panels. They could be removing the originally functional panels to be replaced with some that looks like the panels. Also, it's a concept. Don't take it for law. Disney concept art changes, look at TSL for a recent example.

Does anyone know if there are chemicals within solar panels that could leak or go bad over time? That'd be a case to remove them.

tparris

Cool your jets. Just because there were panels in the concept doesn't mean they're the same panels. They could be removing the originally functional panels to be replaced with some that looks like the panels. Also, it's a concept. Don't take it for law. Disney concept art changes, look at TSL for a recent example.

Does anyone know if there are chemicals within solar panels that could leak or go bad over time? That'd be a case to remove them.
I don't know about chemicals, but I do know that solar panels tend to provide less and less power over time, and by 2017 the panels provided virtually no power.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom