News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Disney technically uses Thor, Loki, and Odin in the Norway stave church exhibit, which is listed as an attraction via the MDE app, albeit not a moving attraction as I believe the contract calls for

The contract is simply for use of the characters in a theme part so this could be a ride, show, restaurant, M&G, etc. If the restriction was just on moving rides, WDW would be doing more Marvel M&Gs.

Kman101

For context I went to Pandora way before I caught the movie. I enjoyed the land as much as I did after I saw the movie. The movie helped a bit in terms of understanding the characters and some of the creatures featured in the ride, but it wasnt a groundbreaking difference. Marie

Still haven't seen it. And I think the land's great. You definitely don't need the movie, but it would help for a few things.

montyz81

Any chance of dropping the third movie discussion? This is a thread about a ride that will open with a theme as stated.

Regarding the current photos, for reference the “white poles” protruding above the roof line are around six foot high, or the height of an average person.
What is the significance of the white posts? I just assumed it was a fence line to protect workers putting on the roof.

FigmentFan82

Possibly mounting points for exterior themeing? I doubt the building will stay as a massive square box and will hopefully have something to alter the shape etc.
For as massive as it is, I do hope there is some type of external themeing that goes on with it. I mean, Disney is generally very good about those things. It would seem very hard to believe, even in a time when more traditionalist ideas get over-ruled by the new class in management, that they would just give it a coat of paint and call it day. I know it's a whole different case, but Mission Breakout had plenty of new exterior themeing added to what could have been somethign a lot plainer. And yes, obv you have different teams in charge at Disneyland vs WDW, but there must be some level of inter-office discussion/cohesion? Right?

geekza

For as massive as it is, I do hope there is some type of external themeing that goes on with it. I mean, Disney is generally very good about those things. It would seem very hard to believe, even in a time when more traditionalist ideas get over-ruled by the new class in management, that they would just give it a coat of paint and call it day. I know it's a whole different case, but Mission Breakout had plenty of new exterior themeing added to what could have been somethign a lot plainer. And yes, obv you have different teams in charge at Disneyland vs WDW, but there must be some level of inter-office discussion/cohesion? Right?
We still aren't 100% sure what they are going to do with the outside. The general thought is that it will be modeled after the architecture of Xandar. I don't think we need to worry about it being just a plain building. It's going to be a while before they get to work on the final exterior details.

WDWFREAK53

Still haven't seen it. And I think the land's great. You definitely don't need the movie, but it would help for a few things.

Because of the way they imagined it, you don't really need to see the movie as it's not based on the movie but more based on the environment in the movie. The actual story doesn't really matter (although the remnants of the military are there). Doing it this way allows future additions to not be locked into any movie and they can add attractions based on the land itself (Na'Vi River) or the movie(s).

DinoInstitute

The more I see pics like this, the more I think the building has to be themed but very, very lightly. It somehow has to look like an intentional geometric shape. (We have white sphere, gold hemisphere, silver cylinder, and ... bronze rectangular prism?) In other words, it's gotta look like an abstract shape and not a "building."
Agreed. There’s really no hiding the building, it’s presence in the park is certainly felt. Which doesn’t have to be a bad thing, if done right it can make a nice addition to the Future World skyline and complement the other buildings. That said, it can’t be themed to Guardians of the Galaxy. It needs to be themed to EPCOT.

FigmentFan82

Question, forgive me if it's been asked...
Is there a reason they didn't dig into the ground for the large coaster building so that it wouldn't appear as tall in the sky, yet remain the same size? I would think that would be a good way to help decrease the impression of it's overall size and hide it a bit more in the tree lines, etc.

LukeS7

Is there a reason they didn't dig into the ground for the large coaster building so that it wouldn't appear as tall in the sky, yet remain the same size? I would think that would be a good way to help decrease the impression of it's overall size and hide it a bit more in the tree lines, etc.
While I'm no expert, I would assume it's because digging down in Florida swampland is a bigger pain/cost than building up

rocketraccoon

That'd probably end up being more of a possibility in somewhere like California instead of Florida. The further you dig down, the more expensive it gets by a pretty significant amount, especially in the swamp-y area of WDW. It'd end up taking a lot more money to do and a lot longer to accomplish, and you wouldn't shave off that much height either way.

FigmentFan82

While I'm no expert, I would assume it's because digging down in Florida swampland is a bigger pain/cost than building up
That'd probably end up being more of a possibility in somewhere like California instead of Florida. The further you dig down, the more expensive it gets by a pretty significant amount, especially in the swamp-y area of WDW. It'd end up taking a lot more money to do and a lot longer to accomplish, and you wouldn't shave off that much height either way.
That makes sense!
Thanks!

TrojanUSC

Florida has a high water table, which makes digging very tough. At other parks, they had the advantage of being able to build up the guest areas around the attractions to a higher elevation, thereby making it easier to disguise the show buildings. This is most notable at Magic Kingdom where Splash, Mansion and others are well disguised. Dinosaur is probably the best example of how to do it in a park that is built at ground level, the guest areas slope up incrementally as you approach the building, with some impressive tree placement thrown in for effect.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
There's no water feature planned...

Of course, they didn't plan one for Spaceship Earth either...

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
There's no water feature planned...

Of course, they didn't plan one for Spaceship Earth either...

Oh, snap!!

giphy.gif

matt9112

Did we discuss this a week ago when Hollywood Reporter broke the story of the indefinite hold and all the pre-production crew being dismissed?
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/h...y-3-production-hold-james-gunn-firing-1137400

With an anticipated production budget of at least $200 million and their bad experience with picking the wrong directors (the first time) for Solo, I'm sure that Disney and Marvel will be extremely cautious in deciding what to do about GotG v3. Solo was initially budgeted at $125 to $150 million, but ended up at $275 million after reshoots.

I'm glad Disney/Marvel is going to take their time to figure out the best way out of this pickle they found themselves in. I vote we take the movie discussion to the GotG v3 movie thread and discussion of James Gunn to the James Gunn thread in the politics forum.

As for the attraction, I agree that they're just going to do their best and get it up and running on schedule as originally themed. I'm not sure what that's going to mean for the storyline or the original content that was going to be shot for it, though. Maybe they'll use this as an opportunity to undo the garbage backstory about Peter visiting Epcot as a kid?

you mean the only thing in the entire story line that could be real. they should just make better movies...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom