News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

LieutLaww

Hello There
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
If the movie doesn't get the go ahead in time Disney will have to pony up the cash themselves to pay for whatever cast they need to come in and shoot stuff instead of the cost being absorbed by the movie.

KrazyKat

Not sure exactly how the contracts work out for theme parks for the GOTG cast, but there have been some rumors that Taika Waititi, who directed Thor: Ragnarok, may be possibly stepping in. He's good friends with James Gunn and his style is very similar. Really enjoyed Thor: Ragnarok a lot. Marvel Studios is also rumored to be using James Gunn's script. Here's hoping they can work things out as a big fan of the MCU.

Last edited:

DreamfinderGuy

CF5157AF-2212-494B-BB46-77B0E5D83DA8.jpeg

Coaster Supports in scale to the gravity building.

Brer Oswald

is there a backup plan if the movie doesn’t happen or?
I have an idea for a backup plan. Turn the place into the Academy of Science (or Academy of Chemistry). The pavilion becomes the Chemistry pavilion, and it’ll have a large atom out front where the UoE sign was. Need Disney characters? No problem! Have Ludwig Von Drake as the head of the academy. Maybe feature inventions by other famous scientists in the Disney canon. The ride is still a coaster, but one that shrinks you down to the size of an atom, and has you travel into a molecule. Why yes, this is a homae to Adventure Thru Inner Space. It’s even fitting to have Von Drake there since he was Paul Frees’ character, and Frees did Inner Space as well. Now we have a pavilion that fits Epcot, and has Disney characters, albeit in the preshow and backstory. Will it happen? Not a chance.

wannabeBelle

Same question was asked during Pandora construction, with the announcement of movie delays. Same discussions have been had repeatedly on this and other forums for years as new rides were built. So many examples... no backup plan needed. An indoor coaster ride will be popular with or without another movie.
For context I went to Pandora way before I caught the movie. I enjoyed the land as much as I did after I saw the movie. The movie helped a bit in terms of understanding the characters and some of the creatures featured in the ride, but it wasnt a groundbreaking difference. Marie

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
Same question was asked during Pandora construction, with the announcement of movie delays. Same discussions have been had repeatedly on this and other forums for years as new rides were built. So many examples... no backup plan needed. An indoor coaster ride will be popular with or without another movie.
Difference here is that GotG was gonna film scenes for the ride while filming the third movie. It's a lot easier to get huge stars like Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana, and Bradley Cooper to just take an extra afternoon when they are already filming together and have all the sets and props and costumes you need. It is a lot bigger deal to get some of the biggest names in hollywood right now together just to film something for a ride. Not to mention that James Gunn was originally working on this ride too.

The movie getting delayed will cause them to either change certain concepts and elements of the attraction or pay a lot more money on development.

At least, that is my understanding given what we know.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I think this ride gets re themed to be a general "cosmic" marvel universe attraction.

Marvel were always heading to more cosmic centric storyline after Phase 3. Now they seem likely to just make Infinity War the ending for the Guardians as we knew them. But they still have Thor, Rocket, Nebula, Strange, Captain Marvel and whatever surprise characters they could shoehorn in for next year's Avengers movie (maybe a big villain set-up for the next phases... Galactus?)

It just seems like they could easily change the theme of this without really changing anything. You can still have the Collector, Rocket, Strange, Captain Marvel, Nebula and then just sub in a Hemsworth Chris for a Pratt Chris.

And obviously "snapped" characters are coming back like Spider Man and Black Panther, but it seems like an easy out for Disney to just choose to tie-up the classic guardians story.

They can't use Thor in the ride, and Captain Marvel is tied pretty closely to the Avengers so might also be out.

Lensman

It's looking like it might never happen if Dave Bautista is to be believed. The franchise definitely has the legs to be able to work without him, and I'd be curious to see if they remove any mention of Drax from the ride.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/guardians-of-the-galaxy-3-is-on-hold-indefinitely-/1100-6461529/
Did we discuss this a week ago when Hollywood Reporter broke the story of the indefinite hold and all the pre-production crew being dismissed?
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/h...y-3-production-hold-james-gunn-firing-1137400

With an anticipated production budget of at least $200 million and their bad experience with picking the wrong directors (the first time) for Solo, I'm sure that Disney and Marvel will be extremely cautious in deciding what to do about GotG v3. Solo was initially budgeted at $125 to $150 million, but ended up at $275 million after reshoots.

I'm glad Disney/Marvel is going to take their time to figure out the best way out of this pickle they found themselves in. I vote we take the movie discussion to the GotG v3 movie thread and discussion of James Gunn to the James Gunn thread in the politics forum.

As for the attraction, I agree that they're just going to do their best and get it up and running on schedule as originally themed. I'm not sure what that's going to mean for the storyline or the original content that was going to be shot for it, though. Maybe they'll use this as an opportunity to undo the garbage backstory about Peter visiting Epcot as a kid?

Mike S

They can't use Thor in the ride, and Captain Marvel is tied pretty closely to the Avengers so might also be out.
What’s funny is that Disney CAN use Thor, just not Marvel’s Thor. If Disney replaced Maelstrom with a ride based on Thor the Norse God of Thunder that would’ve been really interesting to see if Universal tried anything to stop it.

lazyboy97o

What’s funny is that Disney CAN use Thor, just not Marvel’s Thor. If Disney replaced Maelstrom with a ride based on Thor the Norse God of Thunder that would’ve been really interesting to see if Universal tried anything to stop it.
Universal would have done nothing unless Disney tried to create confusion with the Marvel category. Intellectual property rights do not cover the general.

Timothy_Q

And Universal can use basically 95% of WDAS catalog of stories

Cinderella, Peter Pan, Pinocchio, Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Hercules, Tarzan, Snow White, etc etc

Rodan75

I wonder if that would apply to Marvel’s Hercules vs Disney’ Hercules. Or any of the other Marvel Deities that are from various mythologies.

lazyboy97o

I wonder if that would apply to Marvel’s Hercules vs Disney’ Hercules. Or any of the other Marvel Deities that are from various mythologies.
Would what apply to what? Owning an adaption of a myth provides no basis for claiming ownership of the myth.

Giraffiki

Disney technically uses Thor, Loki, and Odin in the Norway stave church exhibit, which is listed as an attraction via the MDE app, albeit not a moving attraction as I believe the contract calls for

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom