News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

rle4lunch

Good point. I agree.

Off topic, but Bill Nye is a sham, IMO. He is nothing more than an actor with a degree in mechanical engineering. Dont get me wrong, that is a nice degree to have, but how does that qualify him to speak about Dinosaurs, global warming, or the moon landings? lol. If there is anything I dont mind about the attraction changing, its his bad edutainment.

Yup, Mr. Wizard was a better scientist than Nye .

Slowjack

Are there really that many people who miss the original attraction, or just people who like the idea of the first attraction and the original EPCOT concept in general? Of all the original pavilions, Energy was by far the least interesting and the least successful, and its mammoth 45-minute running time was never justified. The common fan reservation of the Guardians replacement is that it continues the trend of replacing 1980s-style edutainment with bankable movie IP, not that it's robbing us of some great attraction.
For the record, I am one of those people. I thought the original version of UoE was a fine attraction, better than the Ellen revamp. The Radok preshow was wonderfully kinetic, and the animated film in Theater 1 was dramatic. The glaring weakness was the film in Theater 2, "oil shale, the rock that burns," and so on. By stuffing all the dry educational material into a film at the end, it made the attraction feel like finishing a meal with a salad. If it had been possible to structure it so the dinosaurs were the finale, the attraction would have played much better. But lots of attractions end with a letdown--Big Thunder, for example.

Point is, many of us do miss the actual attraction--and its associated exhibit space in Communicore.

EricsBiscuit

Yes it was. Good thing the Broughton score was so strong.

What do you think the odds are of the original song being incorporated into the new attraction as a gag? Have it playing on Chris Pratt's Walkman at some point?
Did they sell cassettes with the soundtracks from the park in the 80s?

gustaftp

Yes it was. Good thing the Broughton score was so strong.

What do you think the odds are of the original song being incorporated into the new attraction as a gag? Have it playing on Chris Pratt's Walkman at some point?

I don't think it should be a "gag", but I would love if they respectfully incorporated the song and pushed the 1980s-aspect of the Guardians of the Galaxy in order to somehow make it a "Peter Quill love story" of the 1980s EPCOT Center, then I wouldn't feel quite so negative about it.

I re-watched GOTG last night. I still don't understand why this movie is popular. Stranger Things (another 1980s-based adventure thriller) is a million times better. Of course, Stranger Things isn't trying too hard to be funny.

Last edited:

ThatMouse

We lost Energy when the Ellen changes came online. The main entrance theme to EPCOT Center was a variation of the Energy theme. It was the the heart of EPCOT. We bought the cassettes, CD's, and recorded it on our stereo cassette recorders. Now we all have decent recordings of it via the internet. It's sad Disney doesn't make the masters available to extinct attractions. If Disney wants to get the true fans on board with tearing down something to make something new, let's start with releasing some of that nostalgia. Where are the dinos going? They at least made that timeline on the wall in the abandoned Communicore aka not sure what it's called now.

imperius

I don't think it should be a "gag", but I would love if they respectfully incorporated the song and pushed the 1980s-aspect of the Guardians of the Galaxy in order to somehow make it a "Peter Quill love story" of the 1980s EPCOT Center, then I wouldn't feel quite so negative about it.

I re-watched GOTG last night. I still don't understand why this movie is popular. Stranger Things (another 1980s-based adventure thriller) is a million times better. Of course, Stranger Things isn't trying too hard to be funny.

Rich Brownn

To quibble: It's a replacement and an expansion with the building of a gravity building. The park's footprint just got bigger.

And WRT whether Energy was well-written: dinosaurs. Oil doesn't come from dinosaurs. Bad education makes for bad edutainment. And Bill Nye had to give a hand-waving explanation for why they were there: because they're cool! Bad entertainment. Bad entertainment makes for bad edutainment.

We're not losing an Energy edutainment pavilion. We never had one.
The original Energy made a point of that it didn't. In fact the film explained exactly where oil and gas come from. It then said these were formed when great reptiles roamed the earth and turned with the curtain going up to reveal the diorama before moving through. The show was more dramatic and fact based, and back in 1982 the idea of the moving theater was impressive. (For the first early years, UoE and WoM had the longest lines, along with Imagination). From the pre-show with the revolving cubes, to the mirror finale, it was supposed to be dramatic and informative.

matt9112

Hopefully that will keep Disney Hotel prices down! And Uni's values actually look nice!

real nice...not just motel rooms on property GRANTED I have a huge soft spot for the special channel with the music that shows times and hours....i watch that at home sometimes:(

montyz81

Yup, Mr. Wizard was a better scientist than Nye .
This feels like one of the five stages of loss. ( denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance) I am going to say "Bargaining".
Don't worry, I know I am going through it with respect to all of Epcot.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
It's not true but it was conventional wisdom in 1982....

Edutainment isn't supposed to provide 'conventional wisdom' but real facts. A 1922 edition of the Encyclopedia Brittanica gives the consensus view of petroleum being the sediment of marine (micro) organisms, either plant or animal. Modern science comes down on animal micro organisms. In 1982, science was quite sure it wasn't land animals of any era.

ProfSavage

So I saw this and had to share it. Do they even have editors or fact checkers?

https://io9.gizmodo.com/thanks-to-universal-disneys-california-adventures-marv-1825091085

Wut.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom