News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

Gringrinngghost

Sounds like Universal Studios Orlando is going to be set for at least the next decade as they increase in size drastically with a New park, hotels, and the Cirque Du Soleil hotel.

I do hope the new park isn't just a random collection of IP's with no specific theme like Islands Of Adventure and Studios Park are basically the same park. Disney's parks really do stand out and each offer something totally different that the other parks do not.

I'd also be very careful if I was Universal. These major expansions The Universal Resort is going to be experiencing will be very successful in the short term. But growing larger might be a problem, like how WDW grew too large and mangement is now having a hard time to keep everything in the WDW resort up to date, I believe the same thing might happened to Universal if they do not plan for the long term.

Islands of Adventure outside of port of entry does have an overall theme. The Overall theme is that all the properties in the park are based off of published stories that were first books. Universal Studios overall theme is to have guests "ride the movies" while at one point being a working studio, one that is a little used nowadays. It's news to me about a Cirque Du Soleil hotel, which I don't see Universal doing anytime soon. Universal's plans for the property that they recently bought is for parks 3 and 4 by 2040.

Gringrinngghost

I don't really know much about the Citizens of Orlando, but do you think Orlando can even support 2 more Theme Parks? I know Orlando has a pretty low population compared to big cities, and financially could the tourist pay for that? The majority of the people want to go to WDW and Universal, adding 2 more parks to Universal would instantly double the cost to visit Universal.

Not complaining that Universal is expanding, and I hope Disney learns there lesson of doing nothing with the parks for decades. Just a little concerned that this might changed the market drastically, for better or for worst.
I personally don't know why they would want to expand their parks that fast but somehow the parks are still getting crowded. Talking to some of my friends at both Disney and Universal they've been telling me "I don't know where these crowds are coming lately." Universal has really changed in the past 5 years, especially their attitude as well. They were before perfectly fine with being just a day trip for guests however they've really pushed back from it and want guests to wrap their stay around the 2 parks right now. Universal from what I've heard has even gotten stricter on money, more so than Disney and that's hitting the morale of the workers. However with the ideas Universal is running, the scummy antics of Disney towards their union, and the fiscal constraints of Sea World and how they affect their employees are hurting the employees and in turn the parks themselves. Outside of this, the parks are too expensive now-a-days especially with stagnant wages across the United States.

I said this in the Cost of Disney thread in the general discussion in December (Updated for the latest numbers):
In 2015 my company prided itself on the fact that a family of four will spend about $800 for ONE DAY. Due to the prices - I rarely go in unless I can get a comp ticket or know that I will go alot to actually warrant an AP. If we look at the cost of Disney in the past 12 years, prices have doubled. In 2005 it was 59.75 for a single day ticket if I we're to buy one for a weekend day. Now that's $129 a 115.9% increase in price in 12 years or about 9% a year. Even if we account for inflation and Disney didn't have any additional price increases other then adjusting for inflation the ticket would be $82.28. To match that to the current pricing while being adjusting for inflation its still an increase of $51.72 or this time 60% increase. A good example of rampant price increases can be shown with the Butter Beer at Universal Orlando. In July of 2010 it was 2.99 (non-frozen) in January of 2017 it was 6.99, a price increase of 133.78% and when accounted for inflation Butter Beer (when adjusted for inflation is 3.40) still has had a price increase of 105.59% So In my opinion, the prices are way to high when even accounted for inflation and the only reason they are is greed.

Let's also add my lunch to the metric from Epcot at Katsura Grill:
Screen Shot 2018-03-06 at 5.46.04 AM.png

Combo without tax: 16.95

Separate:
Chicken and Beef Teriyaki - $12.00
Assorted Fountain Beverages - $3.05
Ice Cream (Azuki Strawberry) - $4.00
Total: 19.05

Saved from the combo: $2.10

So I still paid for the cost of the soda cup...

Last edited:

Indy_UK

I know a lot of Disney fans aren’t fans of coasters, I think Disney is doing the right things and seems to be aiming for 2 coasters per work. I think that’s fine for those who want something slightly more thrilling than a dark ride like Peter Pan

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I know a lot of Disney fans aren’t fans of coasters, I think Disney is doing the right things and seems to be aiming for 2 coasters per work. I think that’s fine for those who want something slightly more thrilling than a dark ride like Peter Pan
They could still do that and make them a) thematically fit b) be suitable for the area and c) be an addition and not replace anything.

The Empress Lilly

I love coasters!

But not at EPCOT. EPCOT's thrills are more subtle, its atmosphere and state of mind do not mix with thrill rides.

I love loud rock music. But not in a Japanese rock garden. (Even if according to modern Disney fans that is a great thematic fit - both after all have rocks!1)

mikejs78

Premium Member
I love coasters!

But not at EPCOT. EPCOT's thrills are more subtle, its atmosphere and state of mind do not mix with thrill rides.

I love loud rock music. But not in a Japanese rock garden. (Even if according to modern Disney fans that is a great thematic fit - both after all have rocks!1)
I have no problem with a coaster at Epcot per se. For example, a Mouth Fuji coaster in Japan would be fun and thematically appropriate. Guardians may be fun, but unless WDI really pulls a rabbit out of it's hat, it won't be thematically appropriate and won't belong...

P_Radden

I have no problem with a coaster at Epcot per se. For example, a Mouth Fuji coaster in Japan would be fun and thematically appropriate. Guardians may be fun, but unless WDI really pulls a rabbit out of it's hat, it won't be thematically appropriate and won't belong...
Current TDO doesn't have a clue what is thematically appropriate for "Future World", nor do they try.

The Empress Lilly

I do believe at some point Imagination was supposed to be slightly more thrilling. The ride mechanism is a plain coaster, just cruising along at omnimover speed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom