News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

Hatbox Ghostbuster

I really hope they ditch the energy theme based on what we've seen recently. I would much prefer a nod to science fiction and its impact on innovation and science fact. I think about the popularity of Cons and what not. People really like to understand behind the scenes on these. I could totally get behind a pavilion dedicated to how real world science and ideals translate into science fiction. Honestly, that feels way more "EPCOT" to me. Take something real (science fiction) and celebrate it for what it is. You could easily set the stage in the pre-show room and then enter the world of Guardians. And, you could easily tie in energy - or anything else, frankly - as the sub plot.

Honestly, the beginning of Horizons explored this topic in a very successful way, and it worked well for the park and its general mission. And, it gives the attraction longer legs. Guardians may fall out of vogue. But, I highly doubt the idea or genre of science fiction ever will. So, you update the pavilion to bring in some new IP in 10 years vs. having to lose the concept altogether.

Wishful thinking, I know...
That's asking an awful lot....from a roller coaster.

Epcot82Guy

That's asking an awful lot....from a roller coaster.

I should clarify... I would expect all of that to be handled via the Queue (and maybe post-show). Sort of a "behind the scenes/directors cut" intro you then "step into". Sort of a video intro. Room about how science influenced Guardians writing and design (comics and movie). And, then, a visit by Starlord or something that takes us into their world. The ride itself would be as expected.

In short, much like I wish they would have done with FEA (i.e. used the Stave church display in the entry way with a sign talking about how Norweigians have a long history of story telling and culture which influenced the movie...), at least put a shell on the Fantasyland/Studios attraction to have it relate back to the location it's in with a meaningful tie.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

I should clarify... I would expect all of that to be handled via the Queue (and maybe post-show). Sort of a "behind the scenes/directors cut" intro you then "step into". Sort of a video intro. Room about how science influenced Guardians writing and design (comics and movie). And, then, a visit by Starlord or something that takes us into their world. The ride itself would be as expected.

In short, much like I wish they would have done with FEA (i.e. used the Stave church display in the entry way with a sign talking about how Norweigians have a long history of story telling and culture which influenced the movie...), at least put a shell on the Fantasyland/Studios attraction to have it relate back to the location it's in with a meaningful tie.
No offense, but I don't see that happening. Frankly, that sounds like a much better concept if the ride were going in DHS.
Any "peek behind the curtains" thing would have been great as part of the backlot tour...may it RIP.

*Q*

Could we see a story scenario where the ride takes us to the edge of the known universe with the Guardians characters? A mixture of real life and sci-fi?
I would be super down with this if it went into something like "Cosmos" territory... but it's a roller coaster... with painted flats.

No Name

I can't help you there.
Epcot, as we once knew it, is already dead.
Food Rocks was preachy. UoE was preachy. WoL was preachy.
The only thing I want GotG's new ride to teach me is some unique aspects of physics and gravity I haven't yet experienced.

Any small amount of preachiness amounted to a clear positive message. Not sure why you have an issue with that. If you are to argue that those shows/rides you name had a negative message, please share. We'd all be very interested to hear!

But as for the theme of Epcot, would you like it be now? Nothing? An amusement park?

KS (was) preachy.

Again, the message was a positive one. Isn't that a good thing?

By that standard Pandora is "preachy" too. Again, in a good way.

Last edited:

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
But as for the theme of Epcot, would you like it be now? Nothing? An amusement park?
Trying to impute a theme to a park when the company running it doesn't even try to do that any more is like tilting at windmills.

The only theme any park at WDW holds any more is "return on investment."

solidyne

Any small amount of preachiness amounted to a clear positive message. Not sure why you have an issue with that. If you are to argue that those shows/rides you name had a negative message, please share. We'd all be very interested to hear!

Again, the message was a positive one. Isn't that a good thing?

By that standard Pandora is "preachy" too. Again, in a good way.
But preachiness can be annoying even when the message itself is agreeable, i.e., "preaching to the choir." Sometimes it's worse when it IS a good message because the preachiness seems to take away from it or taint it.

It is a fine line between inspire and preach, I guess. That's why the potential combination of comic book "heroes" and "education" raises red flags for many, including me.

Actually, who am I kidding? I just hate that raccoon. Get rid of him, and it'll be OK.

No Name

Trying to impute a theme to a park when the company running it doesn't even try to do that any more is like tilting at windmills.

The only theme any park at WDW holds any more is "return on investment."

I don't get the logic that, if they're doing damage to the theme right now, they should just get rid of theme altogether. That's an excellent way to kill the resort.

But preachiness can be annoying even when the message itself is agreeable, i.e., "preaching to the choir." Sometimes it's worse when it IS a good message because the preachiness seems to take away from it or taint it.

It is a fine line between inspire and preach, I guess. That's why the potential combination of comic book "heroes" and "education" raises red flags for many, including me.

Actually, who am I kidding? I just hate that raccoon. Get rid of him, and it'll be OK.

Okay, I agree. But by that meaure I think all of WDW's applicable rides are more inspiring than preachy. Except for the current Journey into Imagination. Fine if you diagree though.

Epcot82Guy

No offense, but I don't see that happening. Frankly, that sounds like a much better concept if the ride were going in DHS.
Any "peek behind the curtains" thing would have been great as part of the backlot tour...may it RIP.

I would agree normally, but I think it's been made very clear that the whole behind the scenes/"Studio" aspect of DHS is going away. And, it is certainly an original EPCOT Center idea from the Epcot Movies pavilion that sparked the whole Studios concept to begin with. I'm not saying it will happen either. But, given the changing Studios identity, "how things are made" is now much more an Epcot idea than a [Insert New DHS Name Here] idea.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

I would agree normally, but I think it's been made very clear that the whole behind the scenes/"Studio" aspect of DHS is going away. And, it is certainly an original EPCOT Center idea from the Epcot Movies pavilion that sparked the whole Studios concept to begin with. I'm not saying it will happen either. But, given the changing Studios identity, "how things are made" is now much more an Epcot idea than a [Insert New DHS Name Here] idea.
Epcot Movies Pavilion???

Epcot82Guy

Epcot Movies Pavilion???

Yep. Late 80s/1990 concept to add a pavilion based on either the creation of or celebration of famous movies. It was slated for the expansion slot Soarin' took. (You can find images around.) As I understand, the main ride and features were still somewhat blue sky. But, the facade and general details were inked. But, the MGM-Studios park (obviously) killed the need for it.

trainplane3

Epcot Movies Pavilion???
fcd21e807f2e6f14b0cf03d15b60f680.jpg

trainplane3

Hatbox Ghostbuster

Maybe you skipped your "lern2google" class?
Joking aside, it was basically GMR just in Epcot. It grew to a point where it justified its own park, so MGM happened. This hits on it and then goes off the rails to "Euro Disney was bad": http://www.themeparktourist.com/fea...er-files-walt-disney-studios-disneyland-paris
I'm sure Martin can be more detailed then that article.
I actually googled Epcot Movie Pavilion...and nothing came up. But I eventually found my way to the article. Interesting idea...

But back to the topic at hand...this is still happening??? Ugh.

*Q*

I actually googled Epcot Movie Pavilion...and nothing came up. But I eventually found my way to the article. Interesting idea...

But back to the topic at hand...this is still happening??? Ugh.
If I recall correctly, that art originated from the big Walt Disney Imagineering coffee table book from the mid-90s, and referred to it as the "Arts & Entertainment Pavilion." I also saw an exchange on Twitter recently that suggested this wasn't ever actually a legitimate project:
https://twitter.com/AnotherVoiceDIS/status/892479385176915969
https://twitter.com/AnotherVoiceDIS/status/892479972270514176
https://twitter.com/AnotherVoiceDIS/status/892480285954023424

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom