News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

RSoxNo1

Cue the replacement of the Seas Pavilion or an EPIC remodel of the facility in addition to the demolishing of the Fountain and at least a good portion of the Inventions buildings. Actually I wouldn't even be slightly surprised if the entire facade of the Land pavilion was replaced with something that puts the entry/exit point on the first floor instead of the second. The imagination pavilion is also due to be reimagined and I don't have high hopes for its survival either.
Is this something that you know to be happening or just speculation?

PizzaPlanet

I feel it's almost a bit early to have a name for a ride that is still 3 1/2 years out. Then again, they could surprise everyone. If it is true, maybe it'll have a relation to energy and keep some little bit of Futureworld together.

Edit: Thinking even more on this. I think @marni1971 said the original UoE pre-show area will stay but everything beyond will be queues, more pre-shows, and of course load and unload. So with that, maybe the mural will still live? It'd be nice if it does, literally having the same name would make some sense to keep it...
I remember sometime last year when this was first rumored people were saying that GotG may not be in the official attraction title.

raymusiccity

Are you accounting for inflation?
Because
Pirates 1:$450,268,700
Pirates 2:$574,546,200
Pirates 3:$399,818,000
Pirates 4:$266,055,600
Pirates 5:$170,872,400

Guardians Vol 1:$366,068,600
Guardians Vol 2:$386,774,900
Agreed. USA Today just listed Pirates 5 as one of the big success stories of the summer movie scene.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Cue the replacement of the Seas Pavilion or an EPIC remodel of the facility in addition to the demolishing of the Fountain and at least a good portion of the Inventions buildings. Actually I wouldn't even be slightly surprised if the entire facade of the Land pavilion was replaced with something that puts the entry/exit point on the first floor instead of the second. The imagination pavilion is also due to be reimagined and I don't have high hopes for its survival either.

:eek: :arghh: :bawling: :cry:

Princess Leia

Agreed. USA Today just listed Pirates 5 as one of the big success stories of the summer movie scene.
Except it was a really weak summer for movies in the US & Canada. Of the movies listed (Pirates was ranked #6), I think the only ones worth mentioning as true successes were Wonder Woman, Despicable Me 3 (I didn't watch it, but it did pretty well both domestically and internationally), Spider-Man, Dunkirk, Guardians, and Girls Trip. Baby Driver wasn't listed, but it's worth mentioning that on it's $35 million budget, it has made $193.6M worldwide.

Here's how Disney did this summer (using the world wide numbers, since I know that's what Disney will look at) :

Pirates of the Caribbean 5
  • Budget- $230M
  • Box Office- $791.7M
  • Profit- $561.7
Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 2
  • Budget- $200 Million
  • Box Office- $862.8M
  • Profit- $662.8M
Cars 3
  • Budget- $175M
  • Box Office- $325.2M
  • Profit- $150.2M
Spider-Man: Homecoming
  • Budget- $175M
  • Box Office (so far; was released 2 months after GotG)- $737.5M
  • Profit- $562.5M
I know sequel fatigue is real, but this was the sixth Spider-Man film, and it not only got better reviews than Pirates, but it's on track to beat it at the box office. Disney better hope and pray that Coco does well, because Cars 3 is #3 in terms of box office grosses of 2017 animated films (behind Despicable Me 3 and The Boss Baby). It just opened in China, so that should help it's totals, but I don't see it hitting $500M.

I don't want to get into a "Pirates vs Guardians vs ______" discussion, but for a mostly unknown property (unlike Spider-Man, Transformers, or Wonder Woman), I'd say Guardians did pretty well this summer. But like I've mentioned before, there wasn't a whole lot of competition.

Last edited:

Bender123

Except it was a really weak summer for movies. Of the movies listed (Pirates was ranked #6), I think the only ones worth mentioning as true successes were Wonder Woman, Despicable Me 3 (I didn't watch it, but it did pretty well both domestically and internationally), Spider-Man, Dunkirk, Guardians, and Girls Trip. Baby Driver wasn't listed, but it's worth mentioning that on it's $35 million budget, it has made $193.6M worldwide.

• Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 2
  • Budget- Box Office- $862.8M Profit-

Whoops, didn't mean to post yet, give me one second to finish this

No....Im responding now.

shernernum

No....Im responding now.
Pirates, like Transformers movies (although the last one not as much even though its International haul almost quadrupled Domestic) are still success stories because of global box office, not domestic.

Pirates is at 791 global which is only 70 mil less than Guardians 2. I know that is still a large difference, but the domestic spread was over 200 mil.

RSoxNo1

Don't worry.
c13c4f0a5a6262b6f64c2ba65b00f830--friendly-letter-douglas-adams.jpg

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Pirates, like Transformers movies (although the last one not as much even though its International haul almost quadrupled Domestic) are still success stories because of global box office, not domestic.

Pirates is at 791 global which is only 70 mil less than Guardians 2. I know that is still a large difference, but the domestic spread was over 200 mil.

Doesn't all this movie talk belong in a Spirit thread? ;)

Just kidding!!! It should probably go into the Movies section, though...

Animaniac93-98

Except it was a really weak summer for movies in the US & Canada. Of the movies listed (Pirates was ranked #6), I think the only ones worth mentioning as true successes were Wonder Woman, Despicable Me 3 (I didn't watch it, but it did pretty well both domestically and internationally), Spider-Man, Dunkirk, Guardians, and Girls Trip. Baby Driver wasn't listed, but it's worth mentioning that on it's $35 million budget, it has made $193.6M worldwide.

Here's how Disney did this summer (using the world wide numbers, since I know that's what Disney will look at) :

• Budget- $230M
  • Box Office- $791.7M
  • Profit- $561.7
  • Budget- $200 Million
  • Box Office- $862.8M
  • Profit- $662.8M
Cars 3
  • Budget- $175M
  • Box Office- $325.2M
  • Profit- $150.2M
  • Budget- $175M
  • Profit- $562.5M

Your profit numbers are way off. Disney doesn't get 100% of box office revenue. It's split between theatre chains and the company and in some cases is a slow as 30% for Disney. Movies generally need to make twice their budget to recover their costs, and that does not include the marketing spend. In reality, Cars 3 was a loss, and Pirates probably wasn't very profitable considering how much they spent making/marketing it and where much of that gross came from (China).

Also, Disney will not get any of that revenue from Spider-Man: Homecoming. That all goes to Sony. They only have the merch rights.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Your profit numbers are way off. Disney doesn't get 100% of box office revenue. It's split between theatre chains and the company and in some cases is a slow as 30% for Disney. Movies generally need to make twice their budget to recover their costs, and that does not include the marketing spend. In reality, Cars 3 was a loss, and Pirates probably wasn't very profitable considering how much they spent making/marketing it and where much of that gross came from (China).

Also, Disney will not get any of that revenue from Spider-Man: Homecoming. That all goes to Sony. They only have the merch rights.

If we call that figure "gross minus budget" instead of "profit" will people on the board stop pointing out that there are extra-production expenses -- just like there are also extra-production revenues such as merchandise, streaming, DVDs, and eventually commercial TV -- so that it can simply be a data point of comparison with other movies and not meant at all as an definitive figure of how much money Iger is stuffing into his pockets?

Animaniac93-98

If we call that figure "gross minus budget" instead of "profit" will people on the board stop pointing out that there are extra-production expenses

That still would not paint a realistic picture of how much these movies actually make. "Gross" and "budget" are not so black and white.

Your revenue examples also have their own costs to produce, along with a seperate set of expectations for success. It's why Disney was hesitant to mass produce and distribute Frozen merchandise before the movie was a proven hit.

TROR

• Budget- $230M
  • Box Office- $791.7M
  • Profit- $561.7
  • Budget- $200 Million
  • Box Office- $862.8M
  • Profit- $662.8M
Cars 3
  • Budget- $175M
  • Box Office- $325.2M
  • Profit- $150.2M
  • Budget- $175M
  • Profit- $562.5M
Although it doesn't change much, don't forget to double the budget for marketing and subtract the 10% that theater owners keep.

Cesar R M

That's well known. It's also a quick fix, panic reaction in a desperate attempt to boost attendance as opposed to doing the right thing.

In five years the area known as Futureworld could be a shell of its former self. Literally. We're on the cusp of possible irreparable physical damage being done to the park.

Like a few other things if it happens you'll know what I mean. If it doesn't I'll tell you about it sometime.
I dont think Iger as to worry, he can just excuse himself anytime and claim he's going to find a new "challenge" (perhaps in politics) if Epcot and other parks sink :p

Both Guardian movies out grossed every Pirates movie except for Dead Man's Chest domestically, Also when comparing the 2 latest in the franchise, Guardian's Vol. 2 to Dead Man Tell No Tales you can clearly see which series is being loved by audiences. Overseas is a little trickier due to several factors, one of which is that the humor present in Guardians does not translate well into other languages.

Plus the Guardians are nowhere near being done as they will appear in the upcoming Avenger's films and a third film in their franchise. Meanwhile it's looking like certain that the Pirates franchise is dead.

Sources: Box Office Mojo

There is still a huge difference.

Pirates has been going for almost a decade... churning movies almost every year.
GOTG just threw their second movie, they are now churning products left and right of them.
Including series.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom