News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

Bocabear

but "Catch up" doesn't necessarily mean "replace"... Update and refresh are viable options...also these are parks that have the space to add, not replace...these are parks that were planned to be expanded from the very beginning...an expansion that has never really happened... So more than replacing, they need to add... Refreshing the original attractions with new effects and enhancements is really what is needed while they add more attractions and capacity to the park lineup...

Incomudro

The public are generally idiots and Disney never used to aim for 'give 'em what they want' ... as you know, it was all about creating attractions, parks and entertainment that they didn't know they wanted or was even possible.

BTW, just sent you an email ... but was the GotG gift card design done as an example of British humour? :)

Disney is still creating attractions, parks, and entertainment that the public didn't know they wanted or even thought was possible.
Disney also always had attractions that were quite simple - and many of those things are well loved and even viewed in nostalgic ways in some cases where those rides or attractions no longer exist:
Dumbo, Teas Cups, Speedway, Mr. Toad, Big Thunder...

Jenny72

Catering to what "the public" wants can sometimes lead to problems. Look at the airline industry -- people select flights by the lowest price, and there's a race to the bottom among the airlines. Now everyone hates flying because it's gotten miserable, cramped, etc., but it was just the industry following public demand. I'm not trying to say that Disney is headed the same way, but there is a certain force of "the market" that sucks quality out of things.

(I also want to point out that until about a week ago I was a member of "the public" and I didn't like the changes they are making! In fact, I saw the announcement of the GoTG change in the newspaper and thought, what the...? I googled it and found you guys! :) So not all the public is on board with this stuff!)

BlindChow

The fact that the attraction is set in the park is it's only thematic excuse. I fear the GotG coaster will use the same excuse...
I wonder if they'll go the "Fake Attraction" route, like with Men In Black at UNI (The Universe and You!).

Like, GotG starts with the preshow from the original Universe of Energy (or some such), then is interrupted by Peter Quill's spaceship landing on the building.

The_Jobu

I wonder if they'll go the "Fake Attraction" route, like with Men In Black at UNI (The Universe and You!).

I went on that a bunch of times over the years and I was so surprised the one time a CM actually did the shtick and they have an trick elevator and the tour. I had no idea.

tissandtully

I went on that a bunch of times over the years and I was so surprised the one time a CM actually did the shtick and they have an trick elevator and the tour. I had no idea.

Yeah, they don't really do the whole preshow on busy days, too bad, because I really like it and the people who have never been before, seeing their reactions, cause they really think they are on the wrong ride, lol.

cindy_k

Tried to say my goodbye last night but they shut down the ride at 7pm. :( I got there at 7:05pm. We sat on the wall there sadly for a few minutes and spoke to a bunch of different people who walked up right after me. They all were sad and disappointed that it had closed so early in the evening.

I am having a hard time understanding why Disney would close this ride at 7pm, when it is in its last weeks and Mission:Space is down for update.

Jbres_

I think that something to take away from this Epcot refurbishment is as follows: The name stands for Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow. To me, this means that currently, the park is in shambles of what Imagineers thought a futuristic community would look like in the 80's. However, time has finally caught up with Epcot, making things like traveling; whether by spacecraft, by car, or by parasail, a thing of the past. Yes these rides are all thrilling, however they lack that vision of futurism and possibility the park was intended to have. At one point the park did have that spark to it, but it's become outdated; much like our TL in MK.

I think that, given Disney does this right, Epcot will have the same theme as it was originally intended to, an Experimental Prototype Community of what Disney hopes our future could possibly be from a 21st century standpoint, not a 20th century one.

From the Blue Sky artwork I can tell that while some of our favorites will be getting changes, they intend on emphasizing the idea of the future. Isn't that key to have a Future World?

With this new Future World in mine, GotG fits perfectly in my opinion because they showcase a ton of alien races, all living together in one way or another; that's a thing of the future. I think that in this new Epcot, Disney is going to try to showcase all the different possibilities of our future rather than a single generalized view distributed throughout the park. Now, what they plan on doing to the rest of the rides in Future World is unclear to me. But I think we need to trust Disney in their decision making process.

Besides, they've been building theme parks since the 1950's; in that time, so many attractions that were once beloved by so many have been re-themed and replaced by the attractions that we all know and love today. I think that they know what they're doing by now; if they didn't then why would all of us have such fond memories of going to the parks?

Hatbox Ghostbuster

I think that something to take away from this Epcot refurbishment is as follows: The name stands for Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow. To me, this means that currently, the park is in shambles of what Imagineers thought a futuristic community would look like in the 80's. However, time has finally caught up with Epcot, making things like traveling; whether by spacecraft, by car, or by parasail, a thing of the past. Yes these rides are all thrilling, however they lack that vision of futurism and possibility the park was intended to have. At one point the park did have that spark to it, but it's become outdated; much like our TL in MK.

I think that, given Disney does this right, Epcot will have the same theme as it was originally intended to, an Experimental Prototype Community of what Disney hopes our future could possibly be from a 21st century standpoint, not a 20th century one.

From the Blue Sky artwork I can tell that while some of our favorites will be getting changes, they intend on emphasizing the idea of the future. Isn't that key to have a Future World?

With this new Future World in mine, GotG fits perfectly in my opinion because they showcase a ton of alien races, all living together in one way or another; that's a thing of the future. I think that in this new Epcot, Disney is going to try to showcase all the different possibilities of our future rather than a single generalized view distributed throughout the park. Now, what they plan on doing to the rest of the rides in Future World is unclear to me. But I think we need to trust Disney in their decision making process.

Besides, they've been building theme parks since the 1950's; in that time, so many attractions that were once beloved by so many have been re-themed and replaced by the attractions that we all know and love today. I think that they know what they're doing by now; if they didn't then why would all of us have such fond memories of going to the parks?
Gonna have to respectfully disagree with you.

One thing Epcot had that made it completely stand apart from all other parks was that it was essentially grounded in reality. Every aspect of future world dealt with real, practical, actual ways we could improve on our future. Simply throwing in aliens because they're "futuristic" doesn't fit.

I was reminded of Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull over the weekend. Inserting Guardians into the grounded reality that was Epcot, feels kind of like Indiana Jones meeting an alien. Sad and really unfitting for its franchise.

Jbres_

Gonna have to respectfully disagree with you.

One thing Epcot had that made it completely stand apart from all other parks was that it was essentially grounded in reality. Every aspect of future world dealt with real, practical, actual ways we could improve on our future. Simply throwing in aliens because they're "futuristic" doesn't fit.

I was reminded of Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull over the weekend. Inserting Guardians into the grounded reality that was Epcot, feels kind of like Indiana Jones meeting an alien. Sad and really unfitting for its franchise.

While I do see your point, don't you think that there may be SOME possibility of us one day meeting alien life? I mean, if there is a possibility, that's about as realistic as it can get my friend. I do respect your point and see where you're coming from but some times I think people need a reminder that this is our new reality, not aliens per say, but the idea of them being out there, science has found life on many different planets, not humanoid, but still life nonetheless.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

While I do see your point, don't you think that there may be SOME possibility of us one day meeting alien life? I mean, if there is a possibility, that's about as realistic as it can get my friend. I do respect your point and see where you're coming from but some times I think people need a reminder that this is our new reality, not aliens per say, but the idea of them being out there, science has found life on many different planets, not humanoid, but still life nonetheless.
I dare say that IF there truly is alien life out there, squabbling over theme park attractions should be the least of our concerns. ;)

RobidaFlats

One key concept of EPCOT Center's Future World was in fact "possibility". But not the possibility that something exists outside of our control, such as aliens. EPCOT Center was about the possibility of human achievement. Outer Space is there and the only thing keeping a Brava Centauri space station a "possibility" is that we have not achieved it yet. Future engineers might be inspired to achieve that "possibility" through ingenuity and hard work.

If I am inspired to meet aliens, I can devote my life to space exploration and perhaps make remarkable achievements, but the "possibility" of alien life is outside of my control. That is the difference between inspiration and fantasy. The latter seeks to take us to a world that doesn't exist (i.e. Guardians of the Galaxy) while the former seeks to inspire us to a world that could exist, if we work towards it.

As I have written about before, most theme parks exist as a form of escapism from the real world. EPCOT Center existed as a motivator to improve the real world.

Amidala

One key concept of EPCOT Center's Future World was in fact "possibility". But not the possibility that something exists outside of our control, such as aliens. EPCOT Center was about the possibility of human achievement. Outer Space is there and the only thing keeping a Brava Centauri space station a "possibility" is that we have not achieved it yet. Future engineers might be inspired to achieve that "possibility" through ingenuity and hard work.

If I am inspired to meet aliens, I can devote my life to space exploration and perhaps make remarkable achievements, but the "possibility" of alien life is outside of my control. That is the difference between inspiration and fantasy. The latter seeks to take us to a world that doesn't exist (i.e. Guardians of the Galaxy) while the former seeks to inspire us to a world that could exist, if we work towards it.

As I have written about before, most theme parks exist as a form of escapism from the real world. EPCOT Center existed as a motivator to improve the real world.

Really well said...and exactly why BH6 and Inside Out feel like great fits for a contemporary Epcot, whereas GOTG just feels shoehorned in.

Jbres_

I'm quite surprised no one else has inquired about @Jbres_ claim that science has found life on many different planets. Not just planets, but many different planets. I must have missed what would have been the biggest news story in the history of mankind. When you say science, you must mean Science!
Scientists over the years have found evidence of different bacteria on various planets.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom