News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

BrianLo

As far as I know it's not a flyer. Standard on-the-track ride system with a few new ideas. If they work.

But I've been wrong before.

The other rumour we've heard is that it would be a Dynamic Attractions SFX coaster... which sort of sounds like what you are hinting at? A tilt table, side slide and a drop track seem like the more obvious 'new ideas' concerning Disney parks.

odmichael

It won't be hard to buy a plush Groot.
You may even be able to buy a real groot for that matter.
1t71ma.jpg

Sunset7132

As much as I am sure this is will good, I am sad Ellen is closing so quickly, missing it by a week along with the great move ride...
On the plus side the concept art looks great and I am glad the original building looks to be staying.
I'll miss GMR it was on our dec itinerary , but won't miss Ellen's boring energy adventure lol

ChewbaccaYourMum

I'm hoping for self-deprecating humor. A nod to nostalgia with specific jokes geared toward him missing out on the Wonder's of Life pavilion, Feeling like Captain E.O, Being weirded out by Dreamfinder, riff on the Giant Golf Ball and massive nods to Universe of Energy. I'm hopeful they can make it work.

I'm looking forward to this as well. The Guardians are very funny imo I can't wait to hear what they say about Epcot and just all the dialogue in this ride. I just came back from going to D23 for my first time and went to Disneyland as well. I personally loved Mission Breakout and the script in that ride. I'm hoping this isn't just a straight coaster and has story elements tied into a thrilling coaster. Maybe something like Mummy in Uni, but way better.

ToTBellHop

I'll be curious to see how Disney feels working with Mack on Slink.

I would never expect a B&M monstrosity at Disney. I'm sorry. I used to enjoy B&M coasters but find them to largely rest on their laurels, innovate less than their competitors, and largely the same coaster from a selection of about five options over and over and over.

Also, somehow Slink will be a family coaster with more air time than a B&M hypercoaster.

bclane

I'll be curious to see how Disney feels working with Mack on Slink.

I would never expect a B&M monstrosity at Disney. I'm sorry. I used to enjoy B&M coasters but find them to largely rest on their laurels, innovate less than their competitors, and largely the same coaster from a selection of about five options over and over and over.

Also, somehow Slink will be a family coaster with more air time than a B&M hypercoaster.
The more air time the better!

celluloid

They'll make it in any color you want, but they pretty much won't alter their basic ride system to suit. Whereas Disney typically walks in with a design and says "Hey, Vekoma/Arrow/Whoever... build this for me to this spec".

(Exception: Rock n roller coaster which is an off the shelf ride)

This would be incorrect. The Incredible Hulk Coaster was a custom Launch Design with special theming, lighting audio and water effects triggered in 1999 and now even more with headlight trains and onboard audio. Bgt has a custom Rooster tail water effect/Manta themed trains, Kraken VR(as horrid as I think it is) involved remodeling of the harness design.

doctornick

Huh? This new ride, by all indications, is going to have little to do with the theme and mission of Epcot.

To be fair, we don't really know much of any details about the GotG ride. It's conceivable that WDI has some up with some fantastic storyline where the GotG somehow are used to express the ideals on Epcot's dedication plaque.

I'm not the least bit optimistic that it will happen, but we don't at this point know that it won't happen either. I will say that I am at least impressed with how well Mission Breakout ended up, so I'm hoping that this ride ends up "working".

Last edited:

No Name

To be fair, we don't really know much of any details about the GotG ride. It's conceivable that WDI has some up with some fantastic storyline where the GotG somehow are used to express the ideals on Epcot's dedication plaque.

I'm not the least bit optimistic that it will happen, but we don't at this point know that it won't happen either. I will say that I am at least impressed with how well Mission Breakout ended up, so I'm hoping that this ride ends up "working".

You're right, we don't know that it won't happen, but nothing we've heard gives me confidence. Five things off the top of my head:

- Tom says Epcot is about optimism, which is true, but vague. The cynicist in me says they'll use that as a thematic stretch for any ideas that don't fit. I guess I need some of that optimism...
- They did not utter the words "Future World" and instead called it "the front of Epcot."
- Comments from people in the know on these boards do not give me much confidence.
- The fact that all they said is "Peter Quill visited Epcot as a child" makes me worried. If the ride actually fit Epcot, don't you think they would've said something about that instead?

And finally, Mission Breakout is exactly what worries me. Yes, it's a great ride, but in what way does it fit the California theme? The fact that the attraction is set in the park is it's only thematic excuse. I fear the GotG coaster will use the same excuse...

I'm not opposed to movie-IP-based attractions, so long as they are used properly. Tom mentioned Turtle Talk with Crush, and that's a good example... you learn something about turtles in an engaging way. If this ride reaches that same balance, I'll be content.

trainplane3

You're right, we don't know that it won't happen, but nothing we've heard gives me confidence. Five things off the top of my head:

- Tom says Epcot is about optimism, which is true, but vague. The cynicist in me says they'll use that as a thematic stretch for any ideas that don't fit. I guess I need some of that optimism...
- They did not utter the words "Future World" and instead called it "the front of Epcot."
- Comments from people in the know on these boards do not give me much confidence.
- The fact that all they said is "Peter Quill visited Epcot as a child" makes me worried. If the ride actually fit Epcot, don't you think they would've said something about that instead?

And finally, Mission Breakout is exactly what worries me. Yes, it's a great ride, but in what way does it fit the California theme? The fact that the attraction is set in the park is it's only thematic excuse. I fear the GotG coaster will use the same excuse...

I'm not opposed to movie-IP-based attractions, so long as they are used properly. Tom mentioned Turtle Talk with Crush, and that's a good example... you learn something about turtles in an engaging way. If this ride reaches that same balance, I'll be content.
100% agree with this. For all we know it could be about the Guardians needing some sort of fuel and needing to go back in time to acquire it from the age of dinosaurs. I'd be fine with that since it relates as close as we can get with a action movie, coaster based ride. But then again they could go with a simple "we need to shoot the bad guys/escape the base/test flight" plot. It's not so much as losing UoE, it's losing something that fits with FW. However this project ends, it'll give everyone a huge clue about the direction of FW. Regardless, I'm all for ADDING (or re-purposing WoL) and not replacing rides.

I expect the coaster itself to be a tops of 1 1/2 minutes from dispatch to final brakes due to it being launched. Who knows, it could be a dual launch setup with a short, slow, show scene in the middle.

I really hope on the final night for UoE they make some sort of super small event out of it and give some real hints, and not the expected "YOU will helping the Guardians", with what the ride will be about. I'd honestly be happy if they just used the original ride film even though it'd be lacking the original projection surfaces for the last couple rides that night.

doctornick

This isn't necessarily a bad thing. The "front of the park" doesn't have to be themed as "Future World" and doesn't all have to be one encompassing theme anyway. It might actually be better to divide FW into distinct lands with different purposes -- and FW east perhaps could be more of an exploration/discovery kinda concept where GotG might work better.

I mean, yeah, it will be a square peg hammered into a round hole, we all know this. But I'm not against re-imagining FW to a different idea where it would be less incongruent and perhaps everything else might be a bit tighter.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom