News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

Hatbox Ghostbuster

People complain about 15 minute rides now.. they are "uncomfortable" for that duration. Whether it's the aging of the population, less physical health, or just the heffalumping of the average guest, longer rides are passe.. and not just at Disney.
I have my own opinions on why this is....but to keep this a pleasant conversation, I'll just summarize and say I agree with you :)

kpilcher

I've been editing Symbiosis recently. By god, if today's guest thinks SSE 07 is cleverly written they'd think this film was in a foreign language.
Fun Fact: Symbiosis was my first Epcot attraction in Nov. of '82. SSE was down, Listen to the Land's line was hours long, so Mom & Dad picked Symbiosis. The crowd levels were so bad that day in Future World (WS was not bad, overall) that the Symbiosis cast member was met with a very UN-Disney response when she asked how everyone was doing. IIRC, we spent about 4-5 hours inside "The Land" that day to do all three attractions and eat. But Epcot Center was never popular so I must be imagining things ;)

The Empress Lilly

Walt had a thing for Dinosaurs. It's evident from very early on.. (Fantasia) and cropped up in other places too. I think he wanted a dinosaur ride from day one, but the tech had not evolved to the point that they could do it "right" until plans for the Epcot pavilions were underway. And since there were still people involved who shared his specific zeal and dream, that's when it got done. The Energy concept almost seemed shoehorned in from the first day it opened. Mainly, it was a new ride tech (trackless, rotating theater) showcased in the biggest moving dinosaur sets anyone had ever seen. (Even if some of the moving parts were problematic).

Even with as hokey as it was, I still prefer the original to Ellen's Energy Lecture, and always will.
I think the dinos crept in because, firstly, as they say - not devoid of truthful cynicism - in Ellen because dinosaurs are simply cool. And secondly, dinosaurs, the one physical set of Energy, can be moved over from one version of the ride to the next, while the movies and lasers and music can be easily updated to keep the ride current.

Amidala

People complain about 15 minute rides now.. they are "uncomfortable" for that duration. Whether it's the aging of the population, less physical health, or just the heffalumping of the average guest, longer rides are passe.. and not just at Disney.

I think it's the amusement parks themselves that are changing–not the guests. Between advancements in ride technology, an increase in guest attendance (attendance across WDW in 1980 totaled about 13.8 million, which is less than MK alone sees today) and the prioritization of getting as many attractions as possible done in the shortest amount of time (w/ the help of MyMagic and FP+, MagicBands, etc.), the culture of tourism at the parks is fundamentally different. IMO, this is an attitude Disney has actively encouraged in its guests, and definitely not a mark of their increased laziness or poor health or anything else of the sort.

This is a different system but, IMO, not necessarily...a bad one. I would argue that a 45-minute "edutainment" ride ran the risk of boring guests (and children especially) even in the 80s and 90s. A streamlined, modern edutainment ride clocking in at 10 minutes or less can still teach guests something if it chooses a specific enough topic, rather than trying to convey a huge topic on much broader terms within a 15+ minute time-frame. The use of actually relevant IPs (like Inside Out and Big Hero 6, which have been painfully underutilized in Epcot outside of meet-and-greets) could help.

Amidala

@Biff215 I do, thank you! Here's what I should have been looking at (inclusive of Epcot):

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-07-26 at 6.06.06 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-07-26 at 6.06.06 PM.png
    22.1 KB · Views: 82

Maeryk

I think it's the amusement parks themselves that are changing–not the guests. Between advancements in ride technology, an increase in guest attendance (attendance across WDW in 1980 totaled about 13.8 million, which is less than MK alone sees today) and the prioritization of getting as many attractions as possible done in the shortest amount of time (w/ the help of MyMagic and FP+, MagicBands, etc.), the culture of tourism at the parks is fundamentally different. IMO, this is an attitude Disney has actively encouraged in its guests, and definitely not a mark of their increased laziness or poor health or anything else of the sort.

This is a different system but, IMO, not necessarily...a bad one. I would argue that a 45-minute "edutainment" ride ran the risk of boring guests (and children especially) even in the 80s and 90s. A streamlined, modern edutainment ride clocking in at 10 minutes or less can still teach guests something if it chooses a specific enough topic, rather than trying to convey a huge topic on much broader terms within a 15+ minute time-frame. The use of actually relevant IPs (like Inside Out and Big Hero 6, which have been painfully underutilized in Epcot outside of meet-and-greets) could help.

Interactive queues are also a newer concept, that can extend well beyond the ride itself. Heck, you get what.. 3 to 4 hours of info on Pandora! ;)

No Name

I like the idea that's been tossed around here and there... a sitting queue. Basically a giant bench that moves... so you can have a seat, relax, take a nap, etc. etc. while you're waiting, before the preshows. I think that would be a bit confusing to your average guest at first (they may think it's the ride), but in the end it'd go a long way toward making waiting a more manageable experience, especially for families with young children.

Interactive queues are also a newer concept, that can extend well beyond the ride itself. Heck, you get what.. 3 to 4 hours of info on Pandora! ;)

Indeed. This GotG attraction will wind up being more than 45 minutes long for most guests. Unfortunately most of that time will be spent standing in line.

rocketraccoon

Photo updates when UoE closes will go here until we get an Epcot subforum I suppose.

I wonder if they're gonna install new solar panels on the roof. The current ones aren't in superb shape at the moment and solar panel efficiency has evolved a good amount since they were installed. At the very least the concept art has some panels either way.

PsUQngA.jpg

Sure were a lot of nicely dressed CMs going into the building this morning.

Incomudro

All of the above, plus a shorter attention span.

Kman101

All of the above, plus a shorter attention span.

I don't always think it's shorter attention span. I mean look how much "binging" tv shows is a thing now. People can sit for hours watching something as long as they're engaged with the content. But it seems that doesn't always apply to a theme park though, people want quick thrills, which is a shame. They're fun and have their place but still.

ToTBellHop

I don't always think it's shorter attention span. I mean look how much "binging" tv shows is a thing now. People can sit for hours watching something as long as they're engaged with the content. But it seems that doesn't always apply to a theme park though, people want quick thrills, which is a shame. They're fun and have their place but still.
Binging actually is a product of the shortened attention span. We can no longer tolerate a show with a story that spans 40 weeks of the year. We either wait for the entire season to end so we can binge-watch without commercials or the distribution company releases an entire season at once so we can watch it in one evening and move on.

And now we are raising children on this. They can select the exact show and exact episode they want on a tablet. My kids always get frustrated if we put on the actual TV and they have to just watch what is on.

seabreezept813

This is a good point. As a teacher, I don't buy into the fact that I could focus longer in hs than my current students because they have shorter attention spans. I think we are just more culturally aware that certain people have shorter attention spans or need more physicality. Also, because tech is so fast, we feel like we have to keep up, instead of teach patience and endurance. Everything is instant gratification. I didn't need my homework texted to me or posted online to complete it, but if I don't do those things now as a teacher it's my fault if kids didn't do the work

Epcot82Guy

The technology itself also lends itself in this way. It creates artificial interaction. We are social creatures by nature. Traditional lecturing doesn't necessarily map to our brains. But, we (well, a lot of us) are also very socially aware of upstaging a presenter. The issue with phones, laptops, etc. is that they create wonderful tools - but they also create opportunity for fast, dynamic interaction. Our brains naturally crave that. And, when that part gets stimulated, it craves more. In the real world, we get it from each other. So, you sit and listen (even if it's boring) because the other option is to not engage with something at all (even more boring). With our devices, it's as if you have 40 of your best friends right outside the door, so you can chat/gossip/collaborate/learn/rot your brain/[insert pro or con here]. And, you can now do it discretely.

The main issue is, based on newer research, you don't get the social fulfillment from tech interaction vs. real. So, you have to jump to something else to fill the void.

Translating that to WDW, the current attractions are basically like a high-sugar Mickey bar to the old attractions' tasty grilled chicken salad. One stimulates you, but pushes you to do more (and crashes accordingly). And, we live in a world where this surrounds us. The other is more sustained and engaging, but in a more docile, less exciting way.

A "balanced diet" here is key. But, there is a level of reality in our current society - especially for the American audience - that must be considered for the almighty $$$$.

**Off my psych/societal soap box**

Maeryk

This is a good point. As a teacher, I don't buy into the fact that I could focus longer in hs than my current students because they have shorter attention spans. I think we are just more culturally aware that certain people have shorter attention spans or need more physicality. Also, because tech is so fast, we feel like we have to keep up, instead of teach patience and endurance. Everything is instant gratification. I didn't need my homework texted to me or posted online to complete it, but if I don't do those things now as a teacher it's my fault if kids didn't do the work

It's the evolution of the medium used to convey it. Once upon a time you took your homework home on a small slate you carried back and forth to school. Then everyone got paper, and pencils. Then pens, then typewriters, then computers... same homework, same concepts, just a different medium. I'm often surprised how much of my 13yo daughter's curriculum is based around dynamic media, rather than just a book. Of course, it makes sense now. The film strips *BEEP* click, or movies we used to see in school, can now be directly disseminated to each student via their computer or cell phone.. allowing them to absorb it at their own pace.

I _do_ think everyone having a cell phone in their hand has done something to attention spans though. How many people do you know who check it obsessively, even when nothing is going on? The issue there is it's a two way communication. If you are an avid book reader, nothing in the book is going to change between you putting it down and picking it up next time. But you might have mail, or a friend request, or a neat picture of someones breakfast on your phone.. and it could happen AT ANY TIME! So we obsess about the darned things.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom