News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I hear what you're saying, but I don't think anyone treated Epcot Center on the same level as a science museum. They didn't go there to get information. They went to experience the realities of life in a fantastical way. As a jumping off point, that's still a terribly viable ambition for the park...But the mandate from on high is, inject as much familiar IP as possible because that's the ONLY way guests will be able to have any fun. Themes and cohesion be damned...you're gonna see Star Lord and Elsa!

Interesting because "They went to experience the realities of life in a fantastical way" could also explain Tomorrowland, when it was designed to be futuristic and not retro-futuristic, and an issue that Disney had with EPCOT Center...how do you make it more realistic yet still be whimsical, yet not like another version of Tomorrowland. I think they never could answer that 100% and possibly part of the reason why we got the retro styling in WDW's Tomorrowland.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

Interesting because "They went to experience the realities of life in a fantastical way" could also explain Tomorrowland, when it was designed to be futuristic and not retro-futuristic, and an issue that Disney had with EPCOT Center...how do you make it more realistic yet still be whimsical, yet not like another version of Tomorrowland. I think they never could answer that 100% and possibly part of the reason why we got the retro styling in WDW's Tomorrowland.
There was a guiding principles that Imagineers used to say about the Magic Kingdom and Epcot and I may be paraphrasing, but it was always the idea for MK that they would take the fantastical and make it real, and with Epcot they take the real and make it fantastical. Having spent much time in both, personally, Epcot always felt different than Tomorrowland. And I preferred Epcot a hundred times over.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
There was a guiding principles that Imagineers used to say about the Magic Kingdom and Epcot and I may be paraphrasing, but it was always the idea for MK they took the fantastical and made it real, and with Epcot they took the real and made it fantastical. Having spent much time in both, personally, Epcot always felt different than Tomorrowland. And I preferred Epcot a hundred times over.

That may be so, yet we still had Horizons being the spiritual sequel to Carousel of Progress and Mission:Space as the spiritual successor to Mission to Mars :)

ToTBellHop

So with the replacement of the two longest "rides" at WDW, is there any chance that at least one of these will still be an extended length? I know you said MMRR will not be, but what about this one? WDW still needs these long experiences, but I'm afraid these are going to be a thing of the past.
You can certainly plan on being inside the UoE building for more than 40 minutes.

Rodan75

Phoenicians... Hebrews... Egyptians..

And it's hard to cite 'lost civilizations' as foundations for the world as people know it now.. since they were lost to the common ancestry the attraction is talking about.

not to speak for @SpaceMountain77 but I took the Euro-centric history to equate to what was called 'Western Civilization'. A focus on history that leads to the creation of the European and American powers, but leaves out components that influenced the rest of the world.

When I was in college, back in the 90's, all of our Western Civ classes were updated to be Global Civ and included mythology, literature and history from around the world, not just the 'path to America'.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
jIwzzKT.jpg

I know it's just concept art but I'm really curious to see how or if* they can pull off a Rocket interactive walk-around character.
If it's a marionette I'll die from laughter.
ZGONlKU.gif

trainplane3

I'm officially locked in for WDW from the 11th to the 15th next month. Yay DVC points that need to be used! Of course I'll be hitting GMR and UoE, but I plan on being in Epcot late on the 13th to maybe get one of the last rides on it. That is, if there isn't some insane wait for some reason. It'd be nice to see a send off for the ride...

flynnibus

Premium Member
not to speak for @SpaceMountain77 but I took the Euro-centric history to equate to what was called 'Western Civilization'. A focus on history that leads to the creation of the European and American powers, but leaves out components that influenced the rest of the world.

Well, is that wrong? It's the story of comms to what we know and are moving towards. Not 'Siemen's history of the world'. There is no point to discuss dead-ends in history that aren't related to the subject of the progression of communications.

Rodan75

Well, is that wrong? It's the story of comms to what we know and are moving towards. Not 'Siemen's history of the world'. There is no point to discuss dead-ends in history that aren't related to the subject of the progression of communications.

I don't think it is wrong per se, given the location and sponsor, but it goes back to the point that the legacy Epcot attractions are very much 'educational as approved by corporate public relations'. We've romanticized these edutainment attractions to be unfiltered education, but they weren't / aren't. It is a fair point.

(I'll leave that comment about the rest of the world being a 'dead end ...to the progress of communications' after Constantinople alone)

Wsny11

@marni1971 can you give us any idea regarding what this will be exactly? Will it be a normal launch coaster or something more akin to a hybrid coaster / dark ride? Like the SFX prototype video.

Amidala

I don't think it is wrong per se, given the location and sponsor, but it goes back to the point that the legacy Epcot attractions are very much 'educational as approved by corporate public relations'. We've romanticized these edutainment attractions to be unfiltered education, but they weren't / aren't. It is a fair point.

This is a really interesting point! Especially when you consider that the political agendas of at least two corporations are involved in many cases (the ride's sponsor company, and Disney itself). RE: Renewable energy and "going green" in general, it also seems that it would benefit corporations to put the onus on guests ("Don't forget to recycle!"-style) since they can't exactly implicate themselves and other companies in doing more damage to the environment than any of us ever could at the individual level.

flynnibus

Premium Member

(I'll leave that comment about the rest of the world being a 'dead end ...to the progress of communications' after Constantinople alone)

The term "edutainment" was used for a reason. I don't think anyone believes wdi story telling replaces real education. And of course UoE was labeled one of the worst for this... tho I don't think it was as bad as people claim. It was more about an energy commercial than whitewashing.

And yes, dead end. No matter how great those civilization's accomplishments were... when the civilization fails, fades, or is obliterated wholesale without any scavenging... if it's not used as a stepping stone or building block.. it's just history.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom