News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

Incomudro

Since when is getting a degree in engineering and then working as an engineer for Boeing for almost a decade not make one a scientist? Do planes fly on magic?

Neil deGrasse Tyson is someone everyone recognizes as a scientist, but he has hosted shows that feature science in areas in which he does not have expertise.

It can be just as easily said that politics are affecting whether one considers him a scientist.

It's the new thing: If you don't like the message, destroy the credibility of the messenger, rather than simply argue the merits of the message.

He's not a geneticist.
He's not a geologist.
Meteorologist...
He uses the veil that he is an expert to foist his opinion on the public under the illusion that he is employing scientific methodology.
That is deception.
Science when done correctly is apolitical.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
He's not a geneticist.
He's not a geologist.
Meteorologist...
He uses the veil that he is an expert to foist his opinion on the public under the illusion that he is employing scientific methodology.
That is deception.
Science when done correctly is apolitical.

Since this is off topic for this thread, I'll just say we both had our say and move on. Peace.

Gatorboy

I used to like him.
I've always been a science buff since I was a little kid, and I'm a big Carl Sagan fan.
I always assumed Nye was a scientist, never bothered to check his credentials because essentially I liked him.
But then (and this is very recent) I started to notice him using very unscientific methodology to support what he was preaching.
I would say to my wife "This guy's politics are effecting his science."
It was only then that I looked Nye up, and found out that he is not a scientist at all.
He really is just a "science guy."
Well, hell - so am I.
What I don't like is that Nye is using the guise that he using science to support his positions.
In reality he's become a charlatan.
"A scientist is a person engaging in a systematic activity to acquire knowledge that describes and predicts the natural world. In a more restricted sense, a scientist may refer to an individual who uses the scientific method." That is actually by definition what he does. Scientist is not a degree, and an engineer does use the scientific method, thus he would be labeled as such

Dapper Dan

You know, I'm old 53 - but if you guys aren't older chronologically - you're older mentally.
It's over.
Disney edu-taining you about the future is over.
It's a different world, people carry these things in their pockets called cell phones.
It's a technology the like of which Epcot couldn't even dream about.
Pictures, videos, movies, music, speaking live to people on video, news and weather from around the world, book your trips, book your flights, get virtual tickets to almost anything (concerts, sports, movies) anywhere.
Want to find out about future tech?
There's an app for that!
Or a facebook page.
Or a website.
The Epcot of the past is done, and it's not coming back.
If you want to learn something through your phone you have to search for the information. At a place like Epcot you could just be walking along looking for a place to get a mickey ice cream sandwich and suddenly you're learning about the traditional clothing worn by the people of Morocco.

Another reason educational places like Epcot and museums exist is because you can viscerally experience things. Yes, you can Google how big a stegosaurus is but seeing the assembled skeleton of one really puts it into perspective. I have also touched a rock from Mars, something else you can't do on a smartphone.

Mike S

If you want to learn something through your phone you have to search for the information. At a place like Epcot you could just be walking along looking for a place to get a mickey ice cream sandwich and suddenly you're learning about the traditional clothing worn by the people of Morocco.

Another reason educational places like Epcot and museums exist is because you can viscerally experience things. Yes, you can Google how big a stegosaurus is but seeing the assembled skeleton of one really puts it into perspective. I have also touched a rock from Mars, something else you can't do on a smartphone.
I touched a meteorite at the Griffith Observatory. The place was absolutely packed and I also witnessed a huge crowd watching..............

A big pendulum that acted as a clock.

SpaceMountain77

Hmmm. One week later, my prevailing attitude is one of indifference. Future World has felt like an increasingly hollow shell for years, and while I might not care much for the Guardians myself, at least they'll bring energy and exuberance to a corner of the park that needs it.

Ellen is woefully outdated and barely entertaining; I felt that way at least 10 years ago (i.e. the only time I rode it). The previous UoE, while more ambitious, tops Ellen in its outdatedness and dullness. These days, I'd bet a lot of people don't want to sit through a 45-minute glorification of fossil fuels that was originally crafted to boost Exxon's PR.

On that note, so much of Future World was driven by sponsorships, but the pavilions have failed in multiple ways upon losing their sponsors. To me, that says EPCOT Center's mission has failed, and would fail even if resurrected today. The park isn't staying relevant, timeless, and educational without a ton of recurring investment. The sponsors who make that possible dilute the park's forward-looking intent (Wonders of Life felt dated even when it opened) and ultimately fail to stick around (perhaps due to their own lack of imagination - hi Kodak!).

EPCOT Center had a mission and failed to fulfill it, due to the park's lofty ambitions and reliance on external corporate entities. A shift toward anything else will be refreshing, and who knows: maybe the one-two combo of this ride + Mission: SPACE will inspire some visitors to explore aerospace engineering.

Personally, I struggle with Epcot because I am both an EPCOT Center fan and an academic. Taking the perspective of an EPCOT Center fan, I sincerely appreciate that it was founded as a different type of theme park, one that celebrates cultural awareness, human achievement, and the wonders of science and technology. I experience Living with the Land multiple times each trip because I delight in the possibilities of the future of agricultural science and, specifically, tissue cultures and innovative pest management systems.

From the perspective of an academic, who regularly lectures on common threads in development and learning science, some of the original pavilions in Future World are problematic, which is likely the result of the telling of corporate histories, rather than unfiltered histories. Spaceship Earth, for example, is European-centric. There is not one scene that celebrates the achievement of an Asian or South American society. Originally, World of Motion taught us that it's fun to be free, but purchasing a vehicle is expensive (far from free) and GM was part of a deliberate plot to purchase and dismantle streetcar systems in an attempt to push car sales. Regarding the Universe of Energy, yes, we are encouraged to understand the need for renewable sources of energy, but I believe it is challenging, from a learning standpoint, to go from the big bang, to the Cretaceous Period, to modern day wind turbines in San Francisco in less than 45-minutes.

I miss EPCOT Center and sincerely believe that Disney could create pavilions that meaningfully connect IPs with scientific concepts and cultural awareness. Anna and Elsa could have certainly taken guests on a tour of the sites of Norway. However, as someone that visits three times a year, I do not believe, sadly, that most guests want these experiences. If they did, we would be getting the Universe of Energy big bang - dinosaurs reboot that @marni1971 previously described.

Last edited:

Incomudro

I love museums.
The American Museum of Natural History is one of my favorite places that I've ever visited - right up there with WDW.
I've visited it more times (though less total days) than WDW.
It's easier to search information on ones phone - or subscribe to an app - than to visit a theme park.

Last edited:

Dapper Dan

Personally, I struggle with Epcot because I am both an EPCOT Center fan and an academic. Taking the perspective of an EPCOT Center fan, I sincerely appreciate that it was founded as a different type of theme park, one that celebrates cultural awareness, human achievement, and the wonders of science and technology. I experience Living with the Land multiple times each trip because I delight in the possibilities of the future of agricultural science and specifically, tissue cultures and innovative pest management systems.

From the perspective of an academic, who regularly lectures on common threads in development and learning science, some of the original pavilions in Future World are problematic, which is likely the result of the telling of corporate histories, rather than unfiltered histories. Spaceship Earth, for example, is European-centric. There is not one scene that celebrates the achievement of an Asian or South American society. Originally, World of Motion taught us that it's fun to be free, but purchasing a vehicle is expensive (far from free) and GM was part of a deliberate plot to purchase and dismantle streetcar systems in an attempt to push car sales. Regarding the Universe of Energy, yes, we are encouraged to understand the need for renewable sources of energy, but I believe it is challenging, from a learning standpoint, to go from the big bang, to the Cretaceous Period, to modern day wind turbines in San Francisco in less than 45-minutes.

I miss EPCOT Center and sincerely believe that Disney could create pavilions that meaningfully connect IPs with scientific concepts and cultural awareness. Anna and Elsa could have certainly taken guests on a tour of the sites of Norway. However, as someone that visits three times a year, I do not believe, sadly, that most guests want these experiences. If they did, we would be getting the Universe of Energy big bang - dinosaurs reboot that @marni1971 previously described.
Guests will enjoy anything if done well. The issue is Disney doesn't want to, or know how to market attractions without movie tie-ins.

It's sad because I used to be excited for a time when Epcot pavilions could be sponsorless so they could really dig into issues without having to promote the sponsors' line. Exxon's Universe of Energy made fossil fuels the best solution. GM's world of motion made cars the ultimate form of transportation. I thought getting away from that would open the park up for some honest examination and real forward thinking solutions. Instead, we get cartoons and comic books.

Last edited:

JediMasterMatt

well...4 minutes would be nice... rather than the 90 second Tron coaster we are getting in the MK... seriously...90 seconds....

It's the nature of the beast unfortunately due to a variety of factors.

Launched coasters by their very nature are short as they take away the very thing that gives most rides their duration - the lift hill. Using another Disney launched coaster as an example, California Screamin is only about 110 seconds long from launch to brakes and it has an pseudo-lift using LSMs part way through and achieves the extended ride duration by being the 7th longest steel coaster on the planet.

Add to that, the Vekoma motocoaster is a big long chassis that weighs significantly more than the average train and then throw in onboard audio and you wind up with a big, heavy object that has to cut through the air and creates a lot of drag in the form of wind resistance and friction on the rails.

The show building size is another limiting factor in the design as well. The motocoaster wheelbase and center of gravity means it simply can't turn as nimbly as other coaster as train length is a determining factor is the g-force dynamic differential between front and back of the train and the restraint system and body position limits what g-force loads can be placed on riders. This means wider turns and longer curvatures on any track element taken at speed.

With all of that in mind, Tron is still the longest motocoaster around. Still, it would be nice for another pass around the inside of the show building. It has enough energy for that.

michmousefan

You do have to wonder if the Solar panels on top of the pavilion will be removed and extend the hours for the new attraction...
epcot.jpg
The concept art keeps the solar panels (not that there's a guarantee that they will remain).
Guardians-of-the-Galaxy_Full_30574.jpg

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
No, no it isn't.

There are currently two attractions in the Marvel TPU that we know the story of:

1) Iron Man Experience at HKDL. Takes place because Stark Expo is at HKDL. Then something goes wrong (this isn't a novel concept for a thrill attraction).
2) GotG: Mission BREAKOUT!. The comic goes into why its at DLR. The Collector's Fortress can travel to different locations. So he chooses locations where the most viewers can see his collection. One of those places is obviously DLR since it gets massive foot traffic as we all know.

Those are why the attractions are where they are. We don't have any details for this attraction yet, so we can't say for sure what the story will be for why its at Epcot, but its going to be better than 'Peter Quill went here as a kid'.

All Marvel attractions take place at the park. Peter has brought the Guardians of the Galaxy to Epcot because he visited and liked EPCOT Center. That really is the reason.

You guys are agreeing. One is just more general (all Marvel attractions take place at the park where they are located) one is more specific (they are taking place at the park where they are located because....). I suppose philosophically Mr. Lazyboy is arguing that the concept is goofy (to use a Disney term), so the specific reason the attraction is at the theme park in question matters not, where as Mr. Kamikaze is arguing that the specific reason the attractions take place at the park they are in makes the location/themeing less goofy/more relevant. I will say the Peter Quill past vacation deal is the goofiest thing. I hope that Guardians 3 starts with a flashback of his 1987 vacation.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
"A scientist is a person engaging in a systematic activity to acquire knowledge that describes and predicts the natural world. In a more restricted sense, a scientist may refer to an individual who uses the scientific method." That is actually by definition what he does. Scientist is not a degree, and an engineer does use the scientific method, thus he would be labeled as such

an addendum to your definition - "and spends some time each day goofing around on magic." Believe me, I know what I'm talking about here.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

Thank You.
I loved the original Epcot.
It was my favorite park at the time.
But the world changed - the way we get information changed - in a way that we didn't even imagine.
I used to love how Epcot showcased technology before we the public were going to get it.
I hear what you're saying, but I don't think anyone treated Epcot Center on the same level as a science museum. They didn't go there to get information. They went to experience the realities of life in a fantastical way. As a jumping off point, that's still a terribly viable ambition for the park...But the mandate from on high is, inject as much familiar IP as possible because that's the ONLY way guests will be able to have any fun. Themes and cohesion be damned...you're gonna see Star Lord and Elsa!

righttrack

It's a great property (Guardians of the Galaxy) and they should be doing something like this with it. The location changes EVERYTHING however. The rulebook has been thrown out. I really think Frozen was the first real rulebook breaker of significance. This confirms it however. Anything can truly go anywhere.

Cmdr_Crimson

It's a great property (Guardians of the Galaxy) and they should be doing something like this with it. The location changes EVERYTHING however. The rulebook has been thrown out. I really think Frozen was the first real rulebook breaker of significance. This confirms it however. Anything can truly go anywhere.

With retheme of Symbosis to the Lion King Characters even if it's just a movie it did change it to an IP driven attraction..
306px-Circle_of_Life_-_An_Environmental_Fable.jpg

tissandtully

So with the replacement of the two longest "rides" at WDW, is there any chance that at least one of these will still be an extended length? I know you said MMRR will not be, but what about this one? WDW still needs these long experiences, but I'm afraid these are going to be a thing of the past.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Spaceship Earth, for example, is European-centric. There is not one scene that celebrates the achievement of an Asian or South American society

Phoenicians... Hebrews... Egyptians..

And it's hard to cite 'lost civilizations' as foundations for the world as people know it now.. since they were lost to the common ancestry the attraction is talking about.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom