News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

EricsBiscuit

I just love the idea of a Guardians ride! A little confused at first, but once god empower Chapek from the Bob-suite said that Peter Quill went to Epcot as a kid, it all made sense! Overall, I am so excited for the direction of the park as a whole.:)

EPCOTCenterLover

And 48 country pavilions! EXPO-City, a blatant classic EPCOT knock-off if ever I've seen one.

But...it shows how much faith, how much money there is for classic EPCOT-inspired parks. EPCOT could be monumental, it is just that TWDC doesn't know what to do with it besides add booze carts and celeb thrill rides. Midgets and Philistines.

0-1352400373-expo_spon_01.jpg
I was just there for work! It is very Epcot- ish. Just amazing really.

doctornick

The original was great. But it's been gone a very very long time.

I know it's blasphemy to talk bad about original Epcot Center attractions but if someone found it boring they found it boring. I didn't but they're entitled to feel how they feel.

It's also entirely possible to like some things but not others. I'll defend the original Imagination as one of the greatest dark rides ever built and a complete travesty to have destroyed, but don't really get the fascination with Horizons. And don't even get me started on the incredibly boring old Seacabs and film at the Seas (I like the Hydrolators, but that was only a small part of that experience).

FigmentForver96

The people that complain that there is too much ip's in Epcot honestly just need to chill out. Guardians of The Galaxy is a great addition and will bring in much needed guest to the otherwise dead Epcot. Also, i know that i just called Epcot dead which will trigger some of you mega ultra Disney nerds, but take heart in knowing that Epcot is rated número dos as the most visited theme park in the U.S. which isn't bad.
Why should we chill? So now we should expect less than? You're right, let's just go with the flow. Perhaps a Doctor Strange ride in Test Track be next! Who knows, Benedict Cumberpatch may have visited EPCOT Center when it opened!

The_Jobu

Why should we chill? So now we should expect less than? You're right, let's just go with the flow. Perhaps a Doctor Strange ride in Test Track be next! Who knows, Benedict Cumberpatch may have visited EPCOT Center when it opened!

This could become a great running joke at WDW.

"Did you know Squirrel Girl visited Animal Kingdom?? Here's a ride with her... because!"

FigmentForver96

This could become a great running joke at WDW.

"Did you know Squirrel Girl visited Animal Kingdom?? Here's a ride with her... because!"
I would have accepted the ride more if they would have been honest. Not treat fans like their idiotic imbeciles who can't tell the difference. Anybody with two brain cells can tell that this isn't inspired by the original EPCOT Center nor follows its ideals.

FigmentForver96

Yeah but Guardians makes sense to be at Epcot. It's futuristicy and space age which is Epcot's whole shtick in future world. Doctor Strange wouldn't make sense for him to be at Epcot or Test Track because Doctor Stranges' whole deal is ancient magic. Combine that with a tron like car ride and they don't mix. The best thing about the Guardians of the Galaxy is they're very flexible when it comes to where they can be properly put. Groot and Rocket can literally be located in Tomorrowland, Epcot, Hollywood Studios, and Animal Kingdom because ya know, they're animals. The rest of the team can easily fit in Tomorrowland, Hollywood Studios, and Epcot.

Also it's not bad for them to be there. It brings in a fresh attraction that is guaranteed to bring guests, which is the whole purpose of the Epcot makeover. Epcot seriously needs some good attractions, and bringing in major ip's is a big win for them. You can't keep going to Test Track and Soar'n the whole day, you gotta have better and newer stuff.
If you really think Epcots only mission was to be "future themed" then it's pointless explaining.

Daveeeeed

I think the big concern is that most of the new attractions are book reports based on fantasy or super hero IPs, and are crammed into areas where they don't thematically fit. DL and the MK had plenty of original content supplementing the movie attractions. Today's leadership seems almost terrified of allowing original theme park creative in the United States. Ironically, they ignore that those rides eventually become valuable IPs in their own rights (e.g. POTC or HM).
Here are the rides from the current Iger-era, and the upcoming rides that are IP based. The quality/scale of the ride is not what I'm grading, but the use of IPs.

2008 Toy Story Midway Mania! 9/10
2011/12 Under The Sea: Journey of The Little Mermaid 2/10 Implementation for an IP as a book report ride was still terrible. That being said, it is still a decent C-ticket.
2012 Radiator Springs Racers 10/10
2014 Seven Dwarfs Mine Train 9.5/10
2016 Frozen: Ever After 6/10 3/10 for location To be fair, it could have been placed in Tomorrowland...
2017 Flight of Passage 10/10
2017 Na'vi River Journey 8/10
2017 Guardians of the Galaxy: Mission Breakout 9/10 It will feel most likely like a perfect fit once the Marvel Land opens, but in the meantime, it feels odd.
2019? Mickey and Minnies Runaway Railroad (most likely 9/10)
2019? Battle Escape (most likely 10/10)
2019? Millennium Falcon Ride (most likely 10/10)
2020? Ratatouille 9.5/10 6/10 for location
2021? Tron Lightcycle Power Run 10/10

Pretty much every IP attraction has used it very very well. Placement aside of course:p.

Jeff456

The people that complain that there is too much ip's in Epcot honestly just need to chill out. Guardians of The Galaxy is a great addition and will bring in much needed guest to the otherwise dead Epcot. Also, i know that i just called Epcot dead which will trigger some of you mega ultra Disney nerds, but take heart in knowing that Epcot is rated número dos as the most visited theme park in the U.S. which isn't bad.
I don't think any of us need to chill out thanks, some of us liked Epcot the way it was and its been declining for a long time. I know that Epcot needed updating but those updates could have been done in the spirit of what Epcot and future world originally represented, not just putting down IPs for popular films to capitalise on their success.
I don't doubt for a second that the Guardians of the Galaxy attraction will be great, TDO will spend vast sums of money on it and no doubt what we will be left with will be pretty spectacular. However my problem is where it is going and what it replaces, I actually like the UoE pavilion and I know I am in the minority particularly if you included all guests in that for some reason I actually enjoy the current iteration in that building.
I encourage you to read the below book, that book encompass what Epcot should be and was-
51dAsoAO7RL._SX380_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I don't think any of us need to chill out thanks, some of us liked Epcot the way it was and its been declining for a long time. I know that Epcot needed updating but those updates could have been done in the spirit of what Epcot and future world originally represented, not just putting down IPs for popular films to capitalise on their success.
I don't doubt for a second that the Guardians of the Galaxy attraction will be great, TDO will spend vast sums of money on it and no doubt what we will be left with will be pretty spectacular. However my problem is where it is going and what it replaces, I actually like the UoE pavilion and I know I am in the minority particularly if you included all guests in that for some reason I actually enjoy the current iteration in that building.
I encourage you to read the below book, that book encompass what Epcot should be and was-
51dAsoAO7RL._SX380_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I've read the book many times, as well as the other books regarding progress city and the Disney participation in the 64 fair as well as Expo 67 in Montreal. I think the biggest problem that this park was going to have, regardless of how much updating was done, is that the people in 2017 (or 1998 for that matter) are not interested in paying $100 a day to go to a science fair. I suspect this is why an expo has not been hosted in North America since the mid to late 80's. I don't completely buy the idea that people don't go on vacation to learn, I just think that those people are not inclined to spend money to do so at Disney, regardless of how well it's presented. This population would be more likely to visit battlegrounds, historic sites, national parks, or other countries as opposed to a Disney facade of these places. The world of the 1950's and 1960's when much of this was imagined and when the expo's were likely to draw crowds is much different today, and it unfortunately makes these ventures less likely to do well over a long period of time. The expo's that they are competing with only last 40-50 days and receive gigantic amounts of government money just for the right to host. Like the Olympics, more often than not this money is never recovered. The fact that the corporate sponsors wanted little to do with the place was probably the best and final indication that whatever changes were going to happen were not going to be in this direction. I will miss the idea of the park and the nostalgia I get from it, I'm sure I'll enjoy whatever they put in it's place.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Still confusing that trigger word with conversation, I see. Thought you would have learned your lesson there, considering your number of deleted threads and posts....

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
You're neither naughty, or a crumpet. You should really just label yourself as, "i whine about a thread on a Disney forum site." Thats much more literal, and it's true:D
You've no idea where that quote came from....

And again, people discussing topics on a forum doesn't have much to do with whining or being triggered. Guess you'll never learn the difference at this rate....

The Mom

Premium Member
I mean it's all in good fun right? I remember a while ago, someone said that, and i quote, "The **** stains on my underwear are older than you". To which I replied, "If you have **** stains on your underwear and you don't wash them, then that must explain why you're such a ****ty person." And then after that it spiraled into something else until darling Mom said, "you gotta have a spine. Don't take anything seriously." :oops:

If you're going to quote something, get it right. "I have underwear older than you." That is the old saying, although I've heard shoes used more often as the item of clothing.
You've been warned, and now you're just trolling, So darling Mom is saying good-bye.

Kman101

The ride likely won't be "less than". It's placement will be. It's basis for being there is. The reality is the park's concept isn't the same. None of us have to like it but getting upset, what does that accomplish? You think they'll read our messages of complaint and suddenly say "hey, wait a minute, let's not do this and let's go back to what made the park work in the first place"? No. I'd love it if they did but the reality is we are getting Guardians and Energy is gone. The theme of Epcot hasn't really been intact for a very long time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom