News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Pandora and Cars Land are supported by an overarching theme, so I don't think they go the whiz bang ride that doesn't fit route every time, but I see your point and agree, especially in the light of GOTG at Epcot and Tron in TL. Not sure those fit at all.

I disagree with this to a point. Especially, with respect to Cars Land which isn't even set in California. But, they are both well done. Both fit aesthetically. I think they'll worry about the details to a degree, but if they find something cool enough, the details won't matter. Both Pandora (which I think is an OK fit in DAK thematically) and Cars Land are really cool. And they fit really well aesthetically which seems to be the main concern. I think they've figured out that if something is very well done, they'll essentially get a pass on the big picture from most people (the aformentioned Soarin' is another example of this. Of course, if Soarin' was a separate ride building...i.e. decoupled from the Land Pavilion and IaSW essentially occupied the same space as the Odyssey restaurant, you'd have two thematically appropriate, beloved entry points into WS. Its really not that hard to do things like that.).

I will admit (this may be due to my age and love of 80's and 90's EPCOT) that in EPCOT, Guardians seems really jarring. More jarring than other things that kind of bother me thematically.

Jedi Stitch

I have to laugh at all the people who have complained about the dated Ellen Adventure, but then complain when that something new comes along. Is it Intellectual Property, yes. Is is Disney only, No. Universal and Disney will still fight for Marvel. Does it fit into a future world setting yes, as the original EPCOT that was pretty much a worlds fair, it is a stretch. In the end Everyone was upset Ellen wasn't update and was getting outdated. EPCOT will change as has Disneyland and the MK. I wish they would put the People mover back into DL, after the Rocket Rods failure.

tl77

I'm really impressed how well Disney has manged to manipulate the voices of descent on this. All the message boards, fan sites, pod casters, bloggers... they're all say pretty much the same thing this week... "I don't really think Guardians of the Galaxy fits in Epcot... but we told you it was going to happen months ago! so like our Facebook page/YouTube channel, support us on Patreon and we'll keep bringing you this kind of news" (...that you don't really want to hear) No one's going to bite the hand that feeds, even though they don't really like what they're being fed, because they don't want risk getting their little fan sites full of copyrighted information shut down. "Self Preservation" trumps "Idealism" ...which is also the reason they're building Guardians of the Galaxy in Epcot, because the believe that it is guaranteed to make money.

So anyway, The San Diego Comic Con starts today, and there's probably going to be some pretty big Marvel news there. Disney moved D23 up 2 months this year so it would be in between the release of the Sony Spiderman film and Comic Con for some reason... maybe they'll unveil the DCA "Mavel-land plans"? Maybe announce that the 20th Century Fox films are going to get brought into the MCU story continuity since the Sony Spiderman thing worked out so well... But sooner or later Disney is going to build some super cool Marvel stuff in California that they can't build in Florida, and that super cool California Marvel land will inevitably make Universal's Orlando Marvel stuff look like crap. So what's Universal going to do? They certainly aren't going to want risk the internet's wrath by refusing to sell the Marvel theme park rights back to Disney... "Self Preservation", Universal isn't going to bite the hand that feeds in Orlando.

So if and when Disney gets the Marvel theme park rights in Orlando, and since Guardians of the Galaxy is already slated to go in Epcot's Future World, how long after that until they turn Future World into Marvel City? Because that "Blue Sky" rendering of Future World they floated out at D23, kinda looks like the Stark Expo from Ironman 2, which was set on the site of the 1964 World's Fair in Queens New York... and like? Epcot is supposed to be a World's Fair, The Stark Expo is a World's Fair... So like? what's the difference if they replace the Epcot World's Fair with a Marvel World's Fair... right?

Mike S

I have to laugh at all the people who have complained about the dated Ellen Adventure, but then complain when that something new comes along. Is it Intellectual Property, yes. Is is Disney only, No. Universal and Disney will still fight for Marvel. Does it fit into a future world setting yes, as the original EPCOT that was pretty much a worlds fair, it is a stretch. In the end Everyone was upset Ellen wasn't update and was getting outdated. EPCOT will change as has Disneyland and the MK. I wish they would put the People mover back into DL, after the Rocket Rods failure.
So just because people want something to be made better means they should accept anything? That's very faulty logic on your part. I understand why they're upset but I've pretty much reached the acceptance stage of the 5 stages of grief regarding Epcot. Doesn't mean I'm going to talk down to people upset about the direction of the park.

Last edited:

mousekedoc

Premium Member
I disagree with this to a point. Especially, with respect to Cars Land which isn't even set in California. But, they are both well done. Both fit aesthetically. I think they'll worry about the details to a degree, but if they find something cool enough, the details won't matter. Both Pandora (which I think is an OK fit in DAK thematically) and Cars Land are really cool. And they fit really well aesthetically which seems to be the main concern. I think they've figured out that if something is very well done, they'll essentially get a pass on the big picture from most people (the aformentioned Soarin' is another example of this. Of course, if Soarin' was a separate ride building...i.e. decoupled from the Land Pavilion and IaSW essentially occupied the same space as the Odyssey restaurant, you'd have two thematically appropriate, beloved entry points into WS. Its really not that hard to do things like that.).

I will admit (this may be due to my age and love of 80's and 90's EPCOT) that in EPCOT, Guardians seems really jarring. More jarring than other things that kind of bother me thematically.

EPCOT, it's been said before in this thread, was never Walt's dream. I've read before(don't remember what book) that the idea of EPCOT morphed into a world's fair like theme: future world for the accomplishments/potential of humanity, and world showcase, a celebration of the differences in how we all live the same life.
To me, the EPCOT ideas are long dead and buried. The tombstones up front poignantly foreshadow this to each park goer. Thankfully a change is coming.
I'm an optimist. I say the new theme does hark back to the original EPCOT ideals set by Disney Imagineers: future world will allow guests to enjoy entertainment based on what man has done on earth(The Land, The Sea) and what it does in space (GotG), (Mission Space/Mars). SSE anchors in the middle with a twilight park separating the two sides. If this idea is coherent, imagination must go for something more earthly, and test track gets rethemed(that's why the outer track is gone in the artist renditions?)
And world showcase continues on, only with some IPs thrown in there to entice the kiddies and get Mum and Dad to spend more.

Mike S

But sooner or later Disney is going to build some super cool Marvel stuff in California that they can't build in Florida, and that super cool California Marvel land will inevitably make Universal's Orlando Marvel stuff look like crap. So what's Universal going to do?
Maybe this.
upr-simulator.png

CzRbM1mVQAA2YZr.jpg

Let's not forget that The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man is still considered among the best attractions in the world after almost 20 years and was updated to be even better. Disney does have their work cut out for them to top it with their own Spider-Man ride that's in the works. Universal is not going to give up their free ticket to use one of the most popular IPs around. The more realistic scenario is that they update the look of the land and add a new E Ticket, as is rumored.

Jedi Stitch

So just because people want something to be made better means they should accept anything? That's very faulty logic on your part. I understand why they're upset but I've pretty much reached the acceptance stage of the 5 stages of grief regarding Epcot.doesnt mean I'm going to talk down to people upset about the direction of the park.
My condolences for your loss, then I guess. Sorry, I didn't mean to talk down to you, I thought I was just stating the obvious, the Captain in me. I guess I'll take my mean net troll self back to Norway.

Kman101

Guardians in Epcot IS jarring. I just shook my head at seeing the concept art with Gamora and Groot, etc. hanging outside the pavilion. It just feels wrong. While I want a Guardians presence, they should have put this in Tomorrowland. Would have fit so much better. TRON should have gone to Epcot if they wanted to shoehorn something into Energy. (I guess what's done is done and I'm beating a dead horse but I really don't get the thought of where they put these two attractions). But I guess they would have demo'd the building to do TRON. Guardians as a sci-fantasy attraction would have been a better transition between Tomorrowland and Fantasyland. And I find it slightly insulting they set the Marvel rides IN the parks they're based in. I do feel like it was a bit of a slap in the face to say Quill visited Epcot as a kid that it justifies the attraction. I also agree with the poster who said they'll probably have a joke in the new ride on how boring Epcot used to be and now it's fun. Sigh. I still am happy about a Guardians ride but this sort of puts a big damper on it the more I think about it all.

Gatorboy

EPCOT was based on the Florida Project. Walt’s idea to have new technology brought together to highlight what the future might bring. The entire WDW resort embodies this. Things you don’t see like the way they handle trash/garbage. The Utilidors, the Epcot Building codes, Town of Celebration (I know it's not part of the current resort land, but designed by Disney), transportation innovations like the monorail and gondolas, Magic Bands, how they manage water, all innovative ideas. All these and many more examples of applying modern/future technology to the resort. All of these innovations do in a way showcase forward thinking ideas. Just like any company, Disney is constantly evolving ideas. The attractions in EPCOT Center were inevitable for change. I look back at different attractions fondly, but like my 80's hair style, I’ve moved on. I hope what I get is a product I can enjoy and be proud of a company I’m a fan of, not blindly, but a fan. I like the direction it’s going (my opinion) and respect others who don’t. The reason I am on this site is to hopefully get information on new and exciting stuff and others ideas our great group have or know. Having to read (or as I’m doing now) untold comments to get to one message dealing with the ride itself is frustrating. To me there are two subjects that fall under this treads heading, one about the actual ride and what’s pertains to it, and the other that deals with the politics of it. I just wish we could separate the two. I don't want to open more discussion, so this will be my last post on commentary. Can any insider give us some possible options on the ride system?

rle4lunch

Guardians in Epcot IS jarring. I just shook my head at seeing the concept art with Gamora and Groot, etc. hanging outside the pavilion. It just feels wrong. While I want a Guardians presence, they should have put this in Tomorrowland. Would have fit so much better. TRON should have gone to Epcot if they wanted to shoehorn something into Energy. (I guess what's done is done and I'm beating a dead horse but I really don't get the thought of where they put these two attractions). But I guess they would have demo'd the building to do TRON. Guardians as a sci-fantasy attraction would have been a better transition between Tomorrowland and Fantasyland. And I find it slightly insulting they set the Marvel rides IN the parks they're based in. I do feel like it was a bit of a slap in the face to say Quill visited Epcot as a kid that it justifies the attraction. I also agree with the poster who said they'll probably have a joke in the new ride on how boring Epcot used to be and now it's fun. Sigh. I still am happy about a Guardians ride but this sort of puts a big damper on it the more I think about it all.

The only reasoning why I see GOTG going to Epcot is to draw more people into the park to spread out the visitor footprint (and to give more foot traffic to the current half day park that Epcot is). Drop a new E ticket into each park and you control over crowding, right???

Kman101

The only reasoning why I see GOTG going to Epcot is to draw more people into the park to spread out the visitor footprint (and to give more foot traffic to the current half day park that Epcot is). Drop a new E ticket into each park and you control over crowding, right???

True. I'm sure that was their reasoning. The last thing the MK needs is a big draw to the park so I get TRON being what they added there in that regards, though I think that too will be a draw and contribute to higher crowds. It's why I appreciate the MK adding the theater they're adding. MK is in need of more capacity but they have to be careful on drawing even more crowds.

aladdin2007

I totally agree with you,,,Im just glad that with all that said energy still retains its original building in all of this, they could have gone with some cheap free fall in your face ugliness. So far they are keeping some aesthetics with the construction of these projects.

Daveeeeed

True. I'm sure that was their reasoning. The last thing the MK needs is a big draw to the park so I get TRON being what they added there in that regards, though I think that too will be a draw and contribute to higher crowds. It's why I appreciate the MK adding the theater they're adding. MK is in need of more capacity but they have to be careful on drawing even more crowds.
Such a good problem to have:D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom