News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

Maeryk

Rather than a new pavilion, they could use the same basic ride concept, but do a Mt Fuji version of the Matterhorn in the Japan pavilion.

If the sources I've read are correct, that was the original plan. But Kodak put the kaibosh on it, as it would have been sponsored by Fuji Film, and they didn't want the competition. So now it's a massive store and kawaii display instead.

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen 💜
Premium Member
If the sources I've read are correct, that was the original plan. But Kodak put the kaibosh on it, as it would have been sponsored by Fuji Film, and they didn't want the competition. So now it's a massive store and kawaii display instead.
Well, now that the issue of sponsorship competition is more or less in the past, let's go Mt Fuji!

Ismael Flores

If people want to go to an amusement park, they should go to an amusement park. Theme parks are for storytelling.

I said nothing about storytelling, there is a difference between being schooled and being immersed in storytelling. People don't go to THEMED parks to be schooled.
When I go on huanted mansion I am not being schooled about ghost but the ride does have a story behind it. The same goes for Pirates, Indiana Jones, Splash Mountain and any other emmersive attraction that Disney is known for in any of their parks.

The old worlds fair concept that epcot was pretty much designed from is sadly dead. There is a reason why worlds fairs died several years back.
Do I wish it wasn't like that, of course I grew up loving the concept of the original Epcot and I lived going to places like that for more than just a thrill but it's not what people want anymore.
There is a reason why Epcot has been mocked as the boring park in animated shows as well as movies. Sadly times change and not always for the best

Maeryk

I said nothing about storytelling, there is a difference between being schooled and being immersed in storytelling. People don't go to THEMED parks to be schooled.
When I go on huanted mansion I am not being schooled about ghost but the ride does have a story behind it. The same goes for Pirates, Indiana Jones, Splash Mountain and any other emmersive attraction that Disney is known for in any of their parks.

The old worlds fair concept that epcot was pretty much designed from is sadly dead. There is a reason why worlds fairs died several years back.
Do I wish it wasn't like that, of course I grew up loving the concept of the original Epcot and I lived going to places like that for more than just a thrill but it's not what people want anymore.
There is a reason why Epcot has been mocked as the boring park in animated shows as well as movies. Sadly times change and not always for the best

Well.. Indiana Jones does explain how some stunts are done. ;)

Epcot was supposed to be an actual city. And the "world's fair" part was going to be fairly small exhibits explaining how various parts of the city worked. Think carousel of progress. And you would be able to see, and tour the city as well. The city got killed, the concept lived on, the pavilions got HUGE, and the travel agencies got involved (welcome to world showcase, it looks so much better than a brochure.. you can fly Delta to see all these places, just bigger, and you know, a lot older).

They have doggedly stuck to that concept. And they can, at this point, either bag it entirely, or double down on it. The first means that in 20 years, Epcot as we know it will pretty much be gone, at least as far as future world is concerned. The second means the pavilions become temporary show spaces.. and the contents rotate out regularly, making way for new content.

Either is going to tick someone off. But something needs to be done. It's old and busted.

Dapper Dan

Well.. Indiana Jones does explain how some stunts are done. ;)

Epcot was supposed to be an actual city. And the "world's fair" part was going to be fairly small exhibits explaining how various parts of the city worked. Think carousel of progress. And you would be able to see, and tour the city as well. The city got killed, the concept lived on, the pavilions got HUGE, and the travel agencies got involved (welcome to world showcase, it looks so much better than a brochure.. you can fly Delta to see all these places, just bigger, and you know, a lot older).

They have doggedly stuck to that concept. And they can, at this point, either bag it entirely, or double down on it. The first means that in 20 years, Epcot as we know it will pretty much be gone, at least as far as future world is concerned. The second means the pavilions become temporary show spaces.. and the contents rotate out regularly, making way for new content.

Either is going to tick someone off. But something needs to be done. It's old and busted.
That's a very ...creative version of the evolution of EPCOT to EPCOT Center.

Dapper Dan

I think I finally put all the pieces together. So, we know that the ride stays true to Epcot's original vision while making it more timeless, more family, and more Disney. We also know that the main conceit of the ride is that Star Lord visited EPCOT Center as a child in the 80s. Therefore, there is only one possible story for this ride that fits all the above criteria, and it goes like this:

The Guardians arrive at Epcot. Star Lord says something like, "This sure is a lot different than I remember it, but don't worry, I have a plan." The rest of the ride is a thrilling heist where guests help the Guardians steal the Time Stone. After a successful heist, the victorious guests exit into a completely faithful recreation of 1988 Future World including all of the original pavilions and attractions.

I really have to hand it to Disney, they really are committed to this total immersion thing. I have to say, I wasn't too keen on this announcement at first, but now I'm super excited for this ride!

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
That is why they called it EPCOT Center. As in, the center of EPCOT. The entire Florida Property was thought of as EPCOT. And a version of Celebration was even in the grand plan at the time. The park was never supposed to represent all of what EPCOT was as a concept.

And to keep some semblance of control there are only a few actual residents on the entire property covered by the Reedy Creek improvement district...because people.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I don't even understand how Disney is getting away with using Marvel characters in Orlando. These characters have been around in the Marvel Universe since the 1970s and some of them (Groot and Starlord) I believe go back to the 1960s. Gamora and Mantis are even closely associated with the Avengers. Frankly even using Big Hero 6, regardless of how different they made it from the comics, was a breach of contract.

Universal should sue.
This has been through the figuratively legal cleaners and back. You can be sure if there was a risk then TWDC wouldn't have gone with it.

Don't expect it to be called Marvel.

DisneyFan18

I'm not sure if someone mentioned this, if so I apologize, but I got a theory regarding why the Guardians came to Epcot. Maybe this happens after the Guardians escaped from the Collector, however they don't have enough energy to go back to the space. So Peter remembered when he came to Epcot as a child, and now they need our help to obtain it. Therefore it's linked to the MTPU.

montyz81

What are the chances at this point that the Imagineers will use the premise of "Education about energy" and infuse it throughout the ride? It really feels like the only thing they have thought about at this point is using GoTG at the Energy Pavilion and what ride equipment will be used. I get the sense that they aren't even close to a story line save for the guy visiting Epcot as a kid. I really want to be optimistic about this change and am hoping to see some relevance to the original Epcot Center. I am hoping that the Imagineers will come to a compromise between old and new and include elements of both and more so then just a passing nod to the original UOE.

Also, I thought there was going to be an announcement of the entire park changing it's name? @marni1971 didn't you say that was happening? Did I miss something?

Maeryk

What are the chances at this point that the Imagineers will use the premise of "Education about energy" and infuse it throughout the ride? It really feels like the only thing they have thought about at this point is using GoTG at the Energy Pavilion and what ride equipment will be used. I get the sense that they aren't even close to a story line save for the guy visiting Epcot as a kid. I really want to be optimistic about this change and am hoping to see some relevance to the original Epcot Center. I am hoping that the Imagineers will come to a compromise between old and new and include elements of both and more so then just a passing nod to the original UOE.

Also, I thought there was going to be an announcement of the entire park changing it's name? @marni1971 didn't you say that was happening? Did I miss something?

We have a piece of concept art, a possible joke photo during the announcement, and a possible ride system gleaned from roller coaster insider/enthusiast chat boards.

We are extrapolating a LOT (both positively and negatively) from those data points about what the actual content of the ride might be. The thread is very long on guessing, and short on confirmation.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom