News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

rawisericho

I love the MCU and I love Guardians. Unabashedly.

But considering the MCU is the crown jewel of franchises, the series every other studio desperately wants, the property that has changed how all of Hollywood does business... the way Disney has been using it in the parks really gives the impression they think its not very important at all.

I mean, TRON gets a new build, and the MCU gets shoved into pre-existing structures. Its a bad message to send.

I agree. The MCU is as big as Star Wars and Harry Potter at this point. But for Disney it's Star Wars only.

Maeryk

I agree. The MCU is as big as Star Wars and Harry Potter at this point. But for Disney it's Star Wars only.

On the East Coast at least. West coast is getting.. something. Shanghai got the Iron Man ride, and there's other stuff in development.

The problem that Disney has is that other parks own the licensing for the characters in parks. So they would basically have to compete against their own IP between their park and a competitors, which seems kind of like reinventing the wheel. If, at some time in the future, IOA, etc, lose the contract, I'd expect to see them end up in Disney parks tut suite.. but not until that happens.

Captain Neo

I could see Peter Quill humming along then throwing in the line "Through the Universe with Guardians of The Galaxy." 10 imaginary reps to anyone who creates new GotG lyrics to the classic song.

They could easily reuse the exit music! Frankly I'd think it an insult NOT using it!

People thought they would play the Horizons song at the exit of Mission:Space and were disappointed when that didn't happen. Also many insiders hinted that Tomorrow Child would be in the Siemens version of Spaceship Earth and that ended up not being the case. So sadly I'm not holding my breath.

Maeryk

I don't believe it is suspended.

The suspended (vekoma) style is pretty much considered a dead coaster platform anyway. I'm not even sure Vekoma will still build one.
B&M pretty much killed them with the inverted concept. It's simpler, easier to maintain, easier to load and unload.

NeXuS1000

Except for the fact that they announced a full Marvel-themed area coming to DCA with Spiderman and Avengers attractions, and except for the fact that they are severely limited by what they can do in Orlando due to the Universal clause.

Also, this isn't a Maelstrom -> Frozen makeover. Is an existing building being re-used? Yes and thank god for that, it's an awesome-looking building. But it's going to be gutted and see a major extension into a new separate, connected showbuilding.

I wouldn't call this "shoved in", just because it's re-using the facade of a mega-structure. On the contrary...

Thematically, it's a different discussion of course. But they fully understand the value of MCU. That's why they're putting this thing in Epcot (DHS already has Star Wars)

Mike S

Except for the fact that they announced a full Marvel-themed area coming to DCA with Spiderman and Avengers attractions, and except for the fact that they are severely limited by what they can do in Orlando due to the Universal clause.

Also, this isn't a Maelstrom -> Frozen makeover. Is an existing building being re-used? Yes and thank god for that, it's an awesome-looking building. But it's going to be gutted and see a major extension into a new separate, connected showbuilding.

I wouldn't call this "shoved in", just because it's re-using the facade of a mega-structure. On the contrary...

Thematically, it's a different discussion of course. But they fully understand the value of MCU. That's why they're putting this thing in Epcot (DHS already has Star Wars)
The fact this ride isn't constricted like Tower has me excited.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
The suspended (vekoma) style is pretty much considered a dead coaster platform anyway. I'm not even sure Vekoma will still build one.
B&M pretty much killed them with the inverted concept. It's simpler, easier to maintain, easier to load and unload.

I'm guessing either a Mack Spinning Darkride hybrid or DA's SFX Coaster. The Vekoma proto would have been nice. I don't have much hope for it though.

correcaminos

If you are disappointed with them now I can't imagine how you felt between 2006 and 2015.
Frozen was the one that really annoyed the crap out of me. This one is no different. I will go on the ride but I really think the visionaries at Disney are lacking vision. They are being short sighted and think we cannot handle the way Epcot was. Yes I will adjust but I don't have to like it ;)

NearTheEars

If you're commenting on GotG and the energy theme, how on spaceship earth does a launch coaster relate to the theme of energy?

It would never happen, but you know what would be cool? A coaster attraction in EPCOT that explains how a launch coaster works and the science behind it. From the electricity needed for the launch to the computer systems needed to operate the ride. Then at the end you hop on and ride.

I guess that might draw some yawns from some guests, though.

nor'easter

Why does everyone assume GoTG has to be related to energy? Kinda sound like that entire side of future world is becoming space themed. GotG, update to MS, new Space resturant.. Test Track is the only thing standing in the way of an entire all space themed area of the park.
Yes, and GOTG will be for all you space cadets. :)

Mawg

Because they are LAZY!
I wouldn't call it Lazy. I would call it risk management. When you are smaller and newer you take more risk, you have less to lose and more to gain. Once you get to the size Disney is you don't push the envelope as much, you have more to lose and less to gain. Using proven IP's like Star Wars and Gardians minimizes risk. I wish they would risk more but gone are those days.

aladdin2007

The fact this ride isn't constricted like Tower has me excited.

and I am glad they are retaining the original building with the ride enclosed in a new building behind it. Despite theme and placement issues/opinions etc, at least this is not some atrocity looking thing like DCA's gawdy tower in appearance. I think its going to make wonders of life next door look even crappier though.....so will be interesting to see but I do like the exterior concept art.

WDWFREAK53

I wouldn't call it Lazy. I would call it risk management. When you are smaller and newer you take more risk, you have less to lose and more to gain. Once you get to the size Disney is you don't push the envelope as much, you have more to lose and less to gain. Using proven IP's like Star Wars and Gardians minimizes risk. I wish they would risk more but gone are those days.
I know there's another thread for it...but I would say they are taking a huge risk with the Runaway Railway attraction. Not a risk with the content, but a risk with the art style. This could turn out to be a huge mistake to go the direction they are with that look.

crxbrett

It would never happen, but you know what would be cool? A coaster attraction in EPCOT that explains how a launch coaster works and the science behind it. From the electricity needed for the launch to the computer systems needed to operate the ride. Then at the end you hop on and ride.

I guess that might draw some yawns from some guests, though.

Exceptional idea! This would be fascinating and educational and at the same time fun. Which is what Epcot was supposed to be like when it opened. A place you could learn and be entertained.

misterID

Well, it is lazy because the whole pitch of the attraction is that it adheres to EPCOT'S values... Their logic is if they show a picture of Quill at EPCOT in the 1980s, make the attraction set it space, it justifies its presence in the park. They acknowledge EPCOT's theme, and they made a patronizing attempt to shove it in there. They could easily put a space themed attraction there without an IP, but an original storyline.

They don't need to minimize risk. I'm sure a REAL thrill attraction, not some crap centrifuge simulator, would bring in more numbers. Space Mountain MISSION 2 would bring more numbers to EPCOT. I doubt this attraction would do much different numbers than TRON, tbh, which would fit EPCOT much better. This isn't IOA who needed Potter, or DCA who needed CARS.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom