News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
The times I've been on it, the yeti doesn't really have my attention enough to notice if it moves or not. Before planning first visit, I wasn't even aware of there being a yeti inside the ride. Guess it's a matter of not knowing what I'm missing really.
Yes the lighting was heavily modified to mostly hide it. When it was working during the opening year it was VERY visible from the second you entered the cave.

dovetail65

I did and despite those that say it was a blink and miss it moment that did not matter to the ride I thought the moving Yeti was one of the most amazing things that they have done to a ride in a very long time.
Well here is a video and it really is less than a second for the Yeti. I believe that if the shadow Yeti where he tears the track didn't work it would be more of a disaster. I believe the Yeti is shown around 3:10

dreday3

Well here is a video and it really is less than a second for the Yeti. I believe that if the shadow Yeti where he tears the track didn't work it would be more of a disaster. I believe the Yeti is shown around 3:10

Well, yeah, that looks pretty awesome! :D Would have scared me!

But I still love the ride, the theming, the music, the queue...one of the greatest!

ToTBellHop

While AAs are not necessary to build a great ride, my greater concern here is: it was originally planned to have them. If they are replaced with screens, it will be a weaker attraction.

RotR when Kylo disappears for a cry is still a great ride, but it’s better with him.

ToT is among Disney’s best (although its current state is unfortunate) but it was never meant to have AAs (at least during the planning for the specific ride they built).

Even Mission: Breakout has Rocket. The lack of any AAs here is surprising. At least make a copy of him and a Baby Groot.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Yes the lighting was heavily modified to mostly hide it. When it was working during the opening year it was VERY visible from the second you entered the cave.

Not to mention you felt like you could almost touch the yeti's claws as you passed under it. Such an amazing experience that sadly has left the ride missing the grand finale, as you mentioned. "Good enough" - TDO.

Mickeynerd17

Yes, flash pictures of the Horizons queue without show lighting definitely look worse than the manicured promotional images of the new queue. Talk about an unfair comparison.
You misunderstand my intentions. I wasn't comparing show lighting, I was comparing the other physical elements of the queues like the walls and paint. I only picked pictures of Horizons without show lighting so you could actually see the queue in good detail. Horizons operated in the 80's and 90's when cameras had significantly lower quality imagery, which would make it harder to see in normal show lighting with photos.

Besides, I still like Horizons better because of the wider use of color and the unique travel poster presentation in the queue.

dovetail65

It would be so cool to have Project Kiwi type things up and working. Walking Groot robot's through/near the que interacting for me is the next evolutionary step for Disney. Not just stand still animatronic's, imagine Lincoln waking off the stage and through the isles while speaking.

TheEPCOTHistorian

In the Parks
Yes
So I'm going to assume Monday's announcement is the soundtrack, to which I throw my predictions in the ring.

- That's The Way (I Like It)
- Let's Groove
- Play That Funky Music
- Love Rollercoaster
- Get Down on It
- Brick House
- Give Up the Funk

retr0gate

Ok, with all the controversy already surrounding this first room of the queue, lets compare a "classic" epcot queue with the galaxarium:

Horizons:
View attachment 629765View attachment 629768

Cosmic Rewind:

View attachment 629770View attachment 629771

It won't be the most popular opinion in the room, but they honestly share a lot in common. Only differences are quality of video and a few more colors used in Horizons. Considering how short the very front of Energy is, I'm expecting this to be a smaller space than it looks. I might be wrong though.

Now, I'm not a fan of every single queue in EPCOT being purely blue lights. We need some variety in that department.
Definitely not alone in thinking this, I got futureport vibes. The whole "from our world to yours" quote upon entry too definitely gave it that classic vibe, even if it is merely parody.

imagineer97

In the Parks
No
The Tower of Terror doesn’t have animatronics, would you consider that a disappointing ride? Can you really criticize a company for making a profit-driven decision, which is the backbone of what they do?
Like someone else said, Tower of Terror wasn't intended to have animatronics. Many of us expected Guardians to have animatronics, especially after Mission Breakout did. Something that is worse than what I was expecting is, by definition, a disappointment.

And yes, I can criticize a company for making a profit-driven decision when it betrays the philosophy of the theme park.
Why does TRON make sense but GotG doesn’t? No offense intended but that just seems like a personal bias tbh. Nothing in original EPCOT Center utilized preexisting IP.
I only think that TRON makes MORE sense than GotG. I don't think either one belongs in Epcot. I'm just saying if I were an Imagineer in the group that was discussing these additions to the park, I would have pushed for flip-flopping the two rides.

Time Racers—which I should note I would not have wanted them to replace Spaceship Earth with—is an example of a roller coaster that is at least trying to fit the theme of the park. Side note: @marni1971 did they ever get far enough on planning that for there to be blueprints?

PizzaPlanet

I found some articles it seems, "the Audio Animatronics were cut from the design early into development, partially for budget purposes but also partially because of the uncertainty surrounding “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3.”
The Guardians 3 excuse makes no sense. They didn’t know Rocket and Groot would be in the movie?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom