News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

thequeuelinelectures

I feel like I heard 3 minutes too. There are probably some brakes/slower sections that mockup doesn't account for.
This video doesn't show any of the slow moving portions in the Universe of Energy building. There probably is about 90 seconds of thrilling "prime ride time" but boarding to unboarding is probably closer to the ~3/3.5 minutes

Casper Gutman

This video doesn't show any of the slow moving portions in the Universe of Energy building. There probably is about 90 seconds of thrilling "prime ride time" but boarding to unboarding is probably closer to the ~3/3.5 minutes
My understanding was that the UoE section is just queue, preshow and launch - no dark ride elements. I don't think I've seen anyone claim otherwise.

yensidtlaw1969

At this point, my point is you are some serious Diznoid Soarin' megadefender.
That or you're just wrong 🤷‍♂️

I don't particularly care for Soarin'. It's fine, I'll ride it if the line is short. Most of my posts about it on this board have been me openly criticizing the visiblility of the show building from World Showcase. But it's popular around the world, including Shanghai, and it's silly to say otherwise.

That you're turning to (made up)name-calling in place of an argument makes pretty clear you know that too. Might want to search for a better point.

TikibirdLand

That or you're just wrong 🤷‍♂️

I don't particularly care for Soarin'. It's fine, I'll ride it if the line is short. Most of my posts about it on this board have been me openly criticizing the visiblility of the show building from World Showcase. But it's popular around the world, including Shanghai, and it's silly to say otherwise.

That you're turning to (made up)name-calling in place of an argument makes pretty clear you know that too. Might want to search for a better point.
I'll be first to raise my hand that I LOVE Soarin'. The first one is better. The second, well let's just say STOP WITH THE TERRIBLE CGI, DISNEY!. But, I still enjoy it whenever we go to EPCoT. Because of the discussion here, y'all prodded me to check out videos of Soarn' over the Horizon and Raging Spirits. Both look like great rides, IMO. Of course, we have the first one. But, that coaster? Would love to check it out. I think I wouldn't be up for Velosicoaster. But, Raging Spirits? You bet!

tommyhawkins

~2:40-3:00 without load and unload, and inclusive of the portion of the ride prior to 1st launch. Scott hasn't got his pacing dialled in just yet and the video shows it RnRC style

Animaniac93-98

Not true - Soaring Over The Horizon doesn't advertise itself visually the same way a Coaster does. Ask anyone who didn't already know what kind of ride this was and they wouldn't deduce that it's a Flying Theater Attraction:

View attachment 619554

However, if you ask that same guest what kind of attraction THIS is, it's clear to anyone who walks by that it's a coaster:

View attachment 619555

Worth noting that Raging Spirits' loop is concealed from the guest's view until they're already deep in the queue, so it's not like it can be suggested that most guests are getting in line because this coaster loops.

Also worth mentioning, your attempt to reframe what I said didn't go unnoticed - I didn't say "everyone in the park just queues up for a looping coaster", I said "most people who queue up for Raging Spirits have never ridden it", essentially stating that they're not getting in line because of its reputation. Soaring Over The Horizon, however, does have a great reputation (deservedly or otherwise), and is a big part of the reason people line up for it. People who have not ridden either are lining up for very different reasons.

And finally, not for nothing, Thrill Data's wait time averages show at a Monthly maximum, which is hardly a large enough sample size of data from which to draw large conclusions about attraction's long-term popularity. Especially currently, when these parks may have irregular and very different climates of guest attendance at any given moment due to the pandemic. But even then, when you factor in that Soaring Over The Horizon has a higher hourly capacity than Raging Spirits, managing comparable wait times does suggest that it skews more popular than Raging Spirits (which, I think we can agree, is a not-particularly-special coaster).

So, again, really not making the point you think you are.

I should also be noted that Raging Spirits is one of only two coasters at Tokyo DisneySea and the only one not geared towards very young children. The lack of comparable rides in the park makes it stand out.

I don't know why DisneySea doesn't have more roller coasters. They could add 3 right now and it really wouldn't be overkill.

doctornick

~2:40-3:00 without load and unload, and inclusive of the portion of the ride prior to 1st launch. Scott hasn't got his pacing dialled in just yet and the video shows it RnRC style

Are we sure there is a stop/second launch inside the gravity building? I feel like it has been mentioned, but I'm not sure it was ever confirmed. If so, I wonder how long the stop is for and what show elements will occur; I'm sure it couldn't be for too long in order to safely accommodate the next train coming in.

its not just queue and launch

Yeah, I'm not expecting anything too fancy in the first part of the ride, but I've got to think there is some dark ride element and story that occurs between load and the point at which the coaster is launched. I would imagine some video would be playing ride before the launch that indicate what is happened and (e.g. we are being sent back in time to the big bang? or whatever the plot of the ride is).

tommyhawkins

Are we sure there is a stop/second launch inside the gravity building? I feel like it has been mentioned, but I'm not sure it was ever confirmed. If so, I wonder how long the stop is for and what show elements will occur; I'm sure it couldn't be for too long in order to safely accommodate the next train coming in.

Yeah, I'm not expecting anything too fancy in the first part of the ride, but I've got to think there is some dark ride element and story that occurs between load and the point at which the coaster is launched. I would imagine some video would be playing ride before the launch that indicate what is happened and (e.g. we are being sent back in time to the big bang? or whatever the plot of the ride is).
The actual stop is non essential and only really there to imply story/scene opportunity, i could take that off and it would make little difference to ride time. but i did put it in that as a function of the amount of energy the train loses going into it so it needs something there like an LSM in that tunnel.

as far as the second gravity raise is concerned, i personally dont believe it will be a chainlift as that will be noisey as hell....Vekoma do have a cable lift system patent which in theory could be hidden inside the building they built, but honestly why bother when an LSM or drive tyres could do the same job for less and the keep even pacing and maintain throughput

as far as the first section is concerned, its a long section of track, and not just moving out station into launch like the bend on aerosmith

Casper Gutman

Its indoors and a coaster so yeah, basically the same. Just like Haunted Mansion is basically the same as Journey of The Little Mermaid.
Soooo.... you don't see a lot more similarities between, say, Space Mountain, Tron, Guardians, and RnRC then between HM and LM? Here, let me help. All of the former group are coasters in dark warehouses with occasional light or projection effects to create glowy spots in the visual void. The first three have a sci-fi theme, with both SM and GotG featuring similar space themes. All have comparable (quite brief) ride times. Three of the four feature launches. Guardians and RnRC (and SM in DL) use a pop song soundtrack to heighten excitement.

HM and LM are both omnimovers. But the omnimover format, which features complex sets and enables more elaborate narratives, is inherently more capable of varied experiences then "dark launch coaster with pretty color flashes." To have replicated the SM/Tron/GotG/RnRC situation, Disney would have had to follow Haunted Mansion up with, say, the Spooky Apartment Complex and the Vaguely Foreboding But Also Quite Amusing Large Domicile.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster

More pieces are being bolted onto the Guardians of the Galaxy Starblaster ship at EPCOT​

Guardians-of-the-Galaxy_Full_46255.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom