News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

Disney Analyst

"Kicking off with a backward launch, the fast-paced attraction will rocket riders through time and space and into the largest "show building" on the property, complete with animatronics, digital media, and the James Gunn-directed series' signature soundtrack of pop-rock hits, all in the name of amping up the same "energy and excitement" from the films."

"The idea here is the planet of Xandar has come to earth, or 'Terra,' as they call it, they're here to set up the first Other-World Showcase Pavilion," he explains of the redevelopment of the area that also includes Test Track and Mission: Space — all part of Epcot's multi-year overhaul that also includes new rides and attractions based on Frozen, Soul, Ratatouille, Moana, and more.

Continues Winter: "They wanted to come to Earth and reach out and talk about their people, technology, and culture. We've done that at Epcot for years where we've had other countries come and show their cultures. As you come in, we're invited to start to learn about the similarities and how we're all connected. They want to learn as much about us as teaching all of us on earth about Xandar."
Still, he stresses, this version is on a unique timeline — and has some surprises in store, given its time-traveling theme that will seemingly combine bits of Marvel history with Disney World legacy.

"Fans of both the films and Disney parks are going to find Easter eggs," Winter promises. "There are fun ones for both!"

ANIMATRONICS?!?

Weren’t we told by many that there would be no AAs?

James Alucobond

"The idea here is the planet of Xandar has come to earth, or 'Terra,' as they call it, they're here to set up the first Other-World Showcase Pavilion," he explains of the redevelopment of the area that also includes Test Track and Mission: Space — all part of Epcot's multi-year overhaul that also includes new rides and attractions based on Frozen, Soul, Ratatouille, Moana, and more.
Is this just in reference to the displays inside of the American Adventure rotunda?

imagineer97

In the Parks
No
I thought that was for the coaster itself, not the preshow. I'm curious to see how they are used on the coaster, IF that is where they'll be at too.
No someone on here just told me last week that the preshow would be like Spider-Man in DCA. But the Groot in the concept art sure looked like it would be an animatronic, so maybe that's what we've got. I'll bet there's still nothing in the coaster.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
No someone on here just told me last week that the preshow would be like Spider-Man in DCA. But the Groot in the concept art sure looked like it would be an animatronic, so maybe that's what we've got. I'll bet there's still nothing in the coaster.
Based on the art, I'm guessing Groot and Rocket will be AAs in the pre-show, with the others showing up on the view screen.

tommyhawkins

"Kicking off with a backward launch, the fast-paced attraction will rocket riders through time and space and into the largest "show building" on the property, complete with animatronics, digital media, and the James Gunn-directed series' signature soundtrack of pop-rock hits, all in the name of amping up the same "energy and excitement" from the films."

Continues Winter: "They wanted to come to Earth and reach out and talk about their people, technology, and culture. We've done that at Epcot for years where we've had other countries come and show their cultures. As you come in, we're invited to start to learn about the similarities and how we're all connected. They want to learn as much about us as teaching all of us on earth about Xandar."
Still, he stresses, this version is on a unique timeline — and has some surprises in store, given its time-traveling theme that will seemingly combine bits of Marvel history with Disney World legacy.

"Fans of both the films and Disney parks are going to find Easter eggs," Winter promises. "There are fun ones for both!"

Couple interesting points. With the comparison of other coasters. BTM and RnRC. I had the launch speed on my model ~45mph which is in between those two coaster speeds.
Also the thing about slowing down , I did introduce one section like that in my model but other than brake runs and Energy building I'm not too sure where else they could be.

doctornick

ANIMATRONICS?!?

Weren’t we told by many that there would be no AAs?

IIRC, that was just some people cynically assuming there wouldn't be any. I don't recall any insiders explicitly stating there would or would not be AAs.

That said, I'd be surprised if any AAs "on the ride" are within the large show building itself; they'd probably be more likely at the first part of the ride, before the launch. I'm under the impression that from load until launch we'll have some slow moving more "dark ride" scene(s) to set up the premise which would be conducive to using AAs. From the Epcot Experience preview, I wouldn't be shocked if a Rocket figure plays a role right before the launch, but creating some sort of havoc that drives the plot of the ride (causing the launch to occur).

Incomudro

IIRC, that was just some people cynically assuming there wouldn't be any. I don't recall any insiders explicitly stating there would or would not be AAs.

That said, I'd be surprised if any AAs "on the ride" are within the large show building itself; they'd probably be more likely at the first part of the ride, before the launch. I'm under the impression that from load until launch we'll have some slow moving more "dark ride" scene(s) to set up the premise which would be conducive to using AAs. From the Epcot Experience preview, I wouldn't be shocked if a Rocket figure plays a role right before the launch, but creating some sort of havoc that drives the plot of the ride (causing the launch to occur).
Yeah, an AA or two for the preshow - screens for the ride.

Casper Gutman

Nah, there was some insider-y stuff saying no AAs that I parroted, but it seems I was wrong! Which is great!

Notes from Neverland

Looks like EW removed the mention of AAs on the ride.

Updated section:
"Kicking off with a backward launch, the fast-paced attraction will rocket riders through time and space and into the largest "show building" on the property, complete with digital media and the James Gunn-directed series' signature soundtrack of pop-rock hits, all in the name of amping up the same "energy and excitement" from the films."

Disney Analyst

Updated section:
"Kicking off with a backward launch, the fast-paced attraction will rocket riders through time and space and into the largest "show building" on the property, complete with digital media and the James Gunn-directed series' signature soundtrack of pop-rock hits, all in the name of amping up the same "energy and excitement" from the films."

Say it isn’t so 😢

imagineer97

In the Parks
No

Updated section:
Wow. Careless reporting inspires so much hope. But this is Disney in 2021, should we have really expected any better?

doctornick

Updated section:

That probably reflects what most of us are suggesting - that the show building itself is unlikely to have AAs. The way it was written originally indicated AAs for be in the large blue building that everyone here loves. It's more likely that there are some AAs, but they are in the original UoE space as part of the pre-show or the initial part of the ride pre-launch.

Wow. Careless reporting inspires so much hope. But this is Disney in 2021, should we have really expected any better?

I wouldn't be surprised if it were more of a miscommunication. The interviewed person from Disney might have said that there were AAs on the ride or as part of the ride, but the writer then included saying they'd be in the show building so what was written was incorrect as stated.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom