News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

Animaniac93-98

I imagine a significant portion of the cost for this attraction comes from customization. Customized ride vehicles, set pieces, fixtures, etc Older WDI may have been able to pick and choose materials better to save time and money, who knows.

I'm sure hiring the entire GotG film crew to do several minutes of specific film and CGI work was expensive too.

They probably could have built it for half the cost, but I'm guessing the drawn out production time for this (5 years of construction + how every long they spent in pre-development) is likely what escalated costs the most. Similar to how the real cost of producing an animated film isn't materials, it's time in labor, these so many years in development ideas cost money even when people are just sitting at a table talking to each other. Who knows how much the Splash Mountain remake has already cost them before they even started? What are the chances TRON in MK costs more than the original in SDL simply because of delays and redesigns? Even something simple like changing the colour of something after it has already been painted can be costly, and not because of the price of paint itself.

Mickey's Birthdayland went from concept to completion in 100 days...and it showed. But I seriously doubt current WDI could even build something like that in a similar time with a comparable budget.

Casper Gutman

Did someone just compare this launch coaster with programmed and controlled cars to a wild mouse?!?

Ooooh people really are wigging out on here.

I know it’s popular to hate on Disney these days, but take a breath…
Maybe they could show us something impressive? That’s kind of the point of PR. The shots of the empty gravity building and the constant images of them manhandling the old Universe structure doesn’t inspire huge amounts of confidence.

Was there doubt like this about Rise? If there was, I don’t remember it.

It’s also fair to say the comically inept handling of the Starcruiser PR has knock-on effects here.

sedati

Did someone just compare this launch coaster with programmed and controlled cars to a wild mouse?!?

Ooooh people really are wigging out on here.

I know it’s popular to hate on Disney these days, but take a breath…
Oh man, tell me you're not reading this forum with "Hyperbole" on. There's a button down at the bottom of the page next to "Dark Mode". Makes it tolerable and simulates the type of conversations actual adults would have.

MagicHappens1971

I imagine a significant portion of the cost for this attraction comes from customization. Customized ride vehicles, set pieces, fixtures, etc Older WDI may have been able to pick and choose materials better to save time and money, who knows.

I'm sure hiring the entire GotG film crew to do several minutes of specific film and CGI work was expensive too.

They probably could have built it for half the cost, but I'm guessing the drawn out production time for this (5 years of construction + how every long they spent in pre-development) is likely what escalated costs the most. Similar to how the real cost of producing an animated film isn't materials, it's time in labor, these so many years in development ideas cost money even when people are just sitting at a table talking to each other. Who knows how much the Splash Mountain remake has already cost them before they even started? What are the chances TRON in MK costs more than the original in SDL simply because of delays and redesigns? Even something simple like changing the colour of something after it has already been painted can be costly, and not because of the price of paint itself.

Mickey's Birthdayland went from concept to completion in 100 days...and it showed. But I seriously doubt current WDI could even build something like that in a similar time with a comparable budget.
I don’t know exact numbers but I’m sure similar to how the studios shell out money for M&Gs it’s not costing WDI too too much to include the scenes especially considering they were filmed while GOTG 3 was in production anyway

Giss Neric

Maybe they could show us something impressive? That’s kind of the point of PR. The shots of the empty gravity building and the constant images of them manhandling the old Universe structure doesn’t inspire huge amounts of confidence.

It’s also fair to say the comically inept handling of the Starcruiser PR has knock-on effects here.
This is why I don't like how Disney markets their rides. People do expect more and their expectations goes higher and higher. I just wish they do what Universal does - be quiet. When Universal builds attractions, you don't really see or hear any buzz aside from fans speculating. You just watch how it progresses. When the queue building is done and the ride is 90% complete then that's the time you hype up the ride.

V_L_Raptor

I don’t know exact numbers but I’m sure similar to how the studios shell out money for M&Gs it’s not costing WDI too too much to include the scenes especially considering they were filmed while GOTG 3 was in production anyway
I thought that workup was done while they were filming Vol. 2? Vol. 3 just went into production a few weeks ago, if the associated social media was anything to go by.

doctornick

I thought that workup was done while they were filming Vol. 2? Vol. 3 just went into production a few weeks ago, if the associated social media was anything to go by.
No, stuff was taped during Vol 2 for Mission Breakout. This Epcot ride wasn’t green lit/planned until we’ll after that movie was finished.

Vol 3 had a delayed filming of course due to the pandemic, but it was on social media that they filmed the ride scenes first so they should be done now.

BrianLo

Generally, yes. It tends to get more overblown when there is a loss of something amongst the Disney fan community. The Universal Fandom does the total opposite, everything is the second coming...

Days before SDMT had previews insiders were insistent the dwarves in the mines were static.

DisneyDodo

And I don't even mind people saying very pregnant or very unique in informal writing -- it's just that we know his Instagram posts are written by a PR team and edited, so they should know better!

It's a minor complaint, though.
There’s nothing wrong about “very unique.” “Unique” does not only mean “only,” which cannot be qualified, but also “special,” which can be. In this case, he’s almost certainly using the latter definition.

UNCgolf

There’s nothing wrong about “very unique.” “Unique” does not only mean “only,” which cannot be qualified, but also “special,” which can be. In this case, he’s almost certainly using the latter definition.

The problem with using it to mean special is that it contradicts the main meaning of the word.

You won't find much support in formal writing circles to use "unique" to mean anything but one of a kind. It's a problem (and generally considered wrong) because it lacks precision and adds confusion.

A better choice is something like distinctive or rare (or even special, as you said) that doesn't cause ambiguity. Regardless, I already said it's not a big deal and is more of a pet peeve of mine than anything, considering these posts have editors that could (and should) have subbed in a better word choice.

Last edited:

Cesar R M

This is why I don't like how Disney markets their rides. People do expect more and their expectations goes higher and higher. I just wish they do what Universal does - be quiet. When Universal builds attractions, you don't really see or hear any buzz aside from fans speculating. You just watch how it progresses. When the queue building is done and the ride is 90% complete then that's the time you hype up the ride.
Agree.
Then we have Disney.. that goes as far as make an announcement of an announcement of the reveal of a soon to be announced attraction.

V_L_Raptor

No, stuff was taped during Vol 2 for Mission Breakout. This Epcot ride wasn’t green lit/planned until we’ll after that movie was finished.

Vol 3 had a delayed filming of course due to the pandemic, but it was on social media that they filmed the ride scenes first so they should be done now.

Gotcha. (It's been under development/construction/PR for so long...!)

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
As in "We're not endorsing your product, we're just mandating that our contractors use it"?
In short, yes.

It is quite common for building specifications to require particular brands of a product to be used in construction (eg Microlam LVL, Architectural Parallam, Zip System sheeting, Simpson StrongTie, etc.) These specifications can come from the customer (in this case Disney) from the contractor, engineer of record, etc. In most cases, the contractor and engineer of record have the most input of what products get used.

These products are often covered in that companies logo for obvious reasons. Hiding them from public view would be costly and in some cases not possible.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Guardians-of-the-Galaxy_Full_35446.jpg

I'm sorry. The joke lines itself up too well not to make regardless of my thoughts on the box.
Hey -- don't laugh at how seamlessly those roof drains are blended into the sleek lines of that... big blue box.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Well, Disney has to market the hell out of everything. No one would come if they didn’t! 😉

DCBaker

Premium Member
"Kicking off with a backward launch, the fast-paced attraction will rocket riders through time and space and into the largest "show building" on the property, complete with animatronics, digital media, and the James Gunn-directed series' signature soundtrack of pop-rock hits, all in the name of amping up the same "energy and excitement" from the films."

"The idea here is the planet of Xandar has come to earth, or 'Terra,' as they call it, they're here to set up the first Other-World Showcase Pavilion," he explains of the redevelopment of the area that also includes Test Track and Mission: Space — all part of Epcot's multi-year overhaul that also includes new rides and attractions based on Frozen, Soul, Ratatouille, Moana, and more.

Continues Winter: "They wanted to come to Earth and reach out and talk about their people, technology, and culture. We've done that at Epcot for years where we've had other countries come and show their cultures. As you come in, we're invited to start to learn about the similarities and how we're all connected. They want to learn as much about us as teaching all of us on earth about Xandar."
Still, he stresses, this version is on a unique timeline — and has some surprises in store, given its time-traveling theme that will seemingly combine bits of Marvel history with Disney World legacy.

"Fans of both the films and Disney parks are going to find Easter eggs," Winter promises. "There are fun ones for both!"

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom